RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Marathon Training (Read 1078 times)

Mike, here is the book I was telling you about. "Core Performance Endurance" by MARK VERSTEGEN. If you look that guy up, he is a training guru to many top athletes. Good, basic no nonsense stuff using just a few simple pieces of equipment. http://www.amazon.com/Core-Performance-Endurance-Nutrition-Revolutionizes/dp/1594863520/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/104-0070218-5039977 The core exercises I was telling you about are here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486
    Sweet - many thanks, Bob! The book is ordered and I have something to read during my next boring conference call today. (Who am I kidding? They're all boring!!)

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

its a relatively new brand of surfing/paddling thats taking off. You use a paddle on a special type of surfboard. You can either use it on the surf or for long paddlings on lakes or rivers. Its a constant core + upper body workout because you're paddling and always trying to balance yourself on the board. If you live near a body of water chances are you'll see people doing it soon.
      Ah I get it now. Looks fun, Steve. I do live near a big lake. May have to give it whirl sometime.

So here's my running plan for the next 17 weeks or so. I have at least 4 races in there - only 2 have time goals. Training Plan here The first 5 weeks are a modification of Pfitzinger's Multiple Marathoning Plan. The goals for this period are to recover from last weekend's marathon, run sub-2 in the half marathon (11/4), and finish the 6 hour event at Ultracentric (11/18). I think sub-2 is pretty realistic based on my last 15k time. Eric's calculator predicts 1:58 based on that race. I'm still working on whether to attempt to run marathon distance at Ultracentric and then walk for the remainder of the 6 hours, or to run/walk the whole thing (based on some ultra running training strategies I've seen). Lynn has already advised me to not even think about running the whole thing - so I'm already taking his advice on that. My main goal for Ultracentric is just to go for the whole 6 hours - regardless of how much walking I have to do - I'm just having fun and working on building mental strength. My secondary goal is to complete 50k within the 6 hours. The next two weeks are just pure recovery weeks. I'll definitely be looking at reducing that or changing runs to walks depending on how the recovery goes from UC. Based on how my legs feel/felt (great) after last weekend's marathon - I'm thinking (hoping) that I'll be fine. The next twelve weeks after that are the Pfitzinger 12 week / 55 mpw plan. The first week starts off with a half marathon - but I am running this with work friends at what will most likely be a 10:30 - 11:00 pace - so nothing more than a medium-long training run with a medal at then end. I plan to remove some runs as necessary to keep the peak weeks at or below 50. This seems to be my body's current limit. I also plan to do the taper period a LOT closer to what Pfitzinger prescribes. In the previous training cycle, I skipped a lot of runs in the taper with the mentality that more rest / less runs. I think part of that was because I was a first timer and scared of the marathon and partly because I was still smoking quite a bit. I also skipped a few long runs last time - and I think this hurt my endurance. A little blame can be put on the glass in foot incident - but I put most of the blame on the fact that I was flirting with disaster by trying to get away with smoking here and there - and still running. This 12 week period ends with the Cowtown Marathon - which right now anyway - I have a goal of going sub-4. I am being realistic though and will rely on my training times and the valuable advice I find here - to help me make a final pacing decision as we get closer. Anyway - if you've read this far - sorry for the verbal diarrhea - I would appreciate any comments or advice on the training plan. Thanks! MTA - Just wanted to add regarding the smoking issue - I bought my last pack about 2 hours after the marathon. I smoked all of them until I felt sick. Haven't had any since - and am planning to HTFU and stay off of them for good this time.

Unfortunatly my brain is fried right now so I don't really have any comments on your training (for now) though I'm sure Bob will chime in (he's knows more anyways). As for Ultra centric, I say go by feel. You may feel great and push through the first 26.2 not needing to stop. Or visa versa. I do know when doing ultra's you will have to walk a bit. So i'm not worth much today, what can I say other than the fact that I really pushed myself this morning Yes As for the smoking. Glad to hear you are HTFU!!! I know it's a day by day process still and your in my thoughts! Stay strong!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prophet!

nice job on the off the smoke plan. I smoked pretty regularly from the age of 12 to 22, lord knows how much faster i'd be if didn't do that Smile . Good luck on the sub 4 at cowtown, i'd try put in some MP runs of 6 - 8 miles to see whether or not you're at that level. I find out that i'm definitely not at that level but i'm still keeping that as my goal time just because i can Smile .
            derek

i'd try put in some MP runs of 6 - 8 miles to see whether or not you're at that level. I find out that i'm definitely not at that level but i'm still keeping that as my goal time just because i can Smile .
              He's doing the Pftiz plan and in the 12 week one, he's suppose to do a 15-mile run with 12 of those miles at marathon pace.

Derek

Thanks, Pam. Rest up from your run! You deserve it.
                nice job on the off the smoke plan. I smoked pretty regularly from the age of 12 to 22, lord knows how much faster i'd be if didn't do that Smile .
                Thanks, Steve. I say the same thing to myself all the time, except I smoked from 12 to 40 - with a couple more months added at 41.
                Good luck on the sub 4 at cowtown, i'd try put in some MP runs of 6 - 8 miles to see whether or not you're at that level. I find out that i'm definitely not at that level but i'm still keeping that as my goal time just because i can Smile .
                Thanks, Steve. I have no idea if I'll get there either - but if I don't set it as a goal - I'll never get there. To be honest, if I only knock off 20 minutes off my last marathon time - I'll be happy. As Derek mentioned above - I have one long MP run scheduled with the Pfitz plan. But I also plan to run more of my long runs as progression runs like Pam does. I ran my last two long runs like that and they were two of my best long runs ever.

The core exercises I was telling you about are here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486
                  Oh. My. Aching. Abs. Bob. My head loves you. My abs hate you. That was one of the toughest workouts I've done. Of course, I added insult to injury by going for a 6 mile run immediately afterward. It hurt. But I will continue to do it for a couple reasons. The fact that it hurt just means I needed it more than I thought. Also, it was interesting to have such a broad mix of core exercises instead of just dozens and dozens of crunches or sit-ups. I took the author's advice and went with the beginner level of 10 of everything. In terms of the workout my friend recommended - this is basically a super-sized version of that without the pullups. So I added the pullups at the beginning. Let's just say that I suck at pullups. Next time - I will add in some leg curls for the hammies and call it good. I think this with the core board thrown in occasionally will do wonders for me. Thanks again! Even though I ordered the Core Performance Endurance book earlier today, I'm not sure I want to read it until my abs stop crying Shocked Big grin

So for anyone reading up, I found a nice big hill (for this area anyway). It's about 210-220 feet of climb in about a mile and was thinking of adding in repeats of this into the mix. Any suggestions on how often and what to replace? I'm thinking that I don't want to get rid of any of my tempo runs - but not sure about that. Derek - if you are not already running it - it is very close to both of us. Here's a link to the course. The Cedar Creek Preserve is at the top end of the hill - 600 something acres with about 10 miles of trails. I may do some runs out here this winter too.

derek

I'll have to check it out. I was actually going to ask you if you were planning on doing any specific hill running since I know Cowtown is a hilly course. The only hill I was aware of near me was Mansfield Rd in Cedar Hill. Basically the road from Joe Pool lake, past the 1-acre lot houses and up to Cedar Hill. I've seen cyclists there, but I was worried about actually running on that road as there is no sidewalk. I have never run outside of the peninsula (while in TX)...I really need to expand my running routes :-) I just hate the thought though of having to drive to somewhere to run and then having to drive back home :-)

Derek

I'll have to check it out. I was actually going to ask you if you were planning on doing any specific hill running since I know Cowtown is a hilly course. The only hill I was aware of near me was Mansfield Rd in Cedar Hill. Basically the road from Joe Pool lake, past the 1-acre lot houses and up to Cedar Hill. I've seen cyclists there, but I was worried about actually running on that road as there is no sidewalk.
                        Doesn't look too bad hill-wise. Couple spots look a little steep - but most of the hills look like 150' of climb/descent of several miles. I wasn't initially looking to add hills specifically for Cowtown - but now I will. My original thoughts were just to add strength. But hey, multiple reasons make it even better. The route I mapped is exactly the same hill you are thinking of - it's just a different street - on the north (?) side of the hill instead of the west side. My route does have sidewalks on both sides - except for maybe the last few hundred yards at the top. I go down the hill on Camp Wisdom almost every night and occasionally will drive the neighborhoods and other roads around it looking for decent places to run. I was happy to find this route.
                        I have never run outside of the peninsula (while in TX)...I really need to expand my running routes :-) I just hate the thought though of having to drive to somewhere to run and then having to drive back home :-)
                        Yeah - it helps me a lot to change up the routes. You are pretty contained in the peninsula. I have a new long run route now that takes me from Country Club and Matlock. I go up Matlock north to I-20 and have lots of choices for making routes of any length. I may also add some long runs at Trinity Park trail (nice on the feet - gravel) and White Rock just to change things up this time though. I'm not a big fan of driving to run either - but with the cooler weather we don't HAVE to get up for 5am long runs anymore - so I may be more interested in changing the scenery. If you get bored of the peninsula for some of your medium longs - let me know and I'll map a nice one I have that goes through historic Mansfield and the new linear trail. With variations - its easily adjustable from 9-13 miles. It's hillier than where you are - but only a little. Just enough roll to make it interesting.

Oh yeah - FYI. If you are running the half at White Rock and can register today - Academy is partnering with the marathon and giving away free Under Armour technical shirts tomorrow and Sunday from like 9am to noon. Just got the email a while ago.
                          We welcome Academy Sports & Outdoors as our newest sponsor! Academy will be handing out free training t-shirts at the marathon’s office located at 1152 North Buckner Boulevard, Suite 121, Dallas, TX 75218. For those of you familiar with White Rock Lake, the office is located across Buckner Boulevard from the Doctor’s Hospital Office Building. We’ll be there from 9:00 a.m. until Noon Saturday morning and again on Sunday from 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. You must be a registered event participant (full, half OR relay) in order to receive a shirt, so register before you come!

btb1490

Mike, nice looking spreadsheet! I really have nothing to add, on paper it looks like a good plan. All I can say is be flexible and change things up as needed, depending on how you feel after your races. Err in favor of doing less instead of more.
                            MTA - Just wanted to add regarding the smoking issue - I bought my last pack about 2 hours after the marathon. I smoked all of them until I felt sick. Haven't had any since - and am planning to HTFU and stay off of them for good this time.
                            That is AWESOME Mike! You can do it, and we will make sure you do! I saw a program on TV where this place got people to stop smoking by literally shoving cigarettes in them all day long till they got sick and never wanted to see another one. It was gross, but it worked.
                            Oh. My. Aching. Abs. Bob. My head loves you. My abs hate you. That was one of the toughest workouts I've done. Of course, I added insult to injury by going for a 6 mile run immediately afterward. It hurt. But I will continue to do it for a couple reasons. The fact that it hurt just means I needed it more than I thought. Also, it was interesting to have such a broad mix of core exercises instead of just dozens and dozens of crunches or sit-ups. I took the author's advice and went with the beginner level of 10 of everything. In terms of the workout my friend recommended - this is basically a super-sized version of that without the pullups. So I added the pullups at the beginning. Let's just say that I suck at pullups. Next time - I will add in some leg curls for the hammies and call it good. I think this with the core board thrown in occasionally will do wonders for me. Thanks again! Even though I ordered the Core Performance Endurance book earlier today, I'm not sure I want to read it until my abs stop crying Shocked Big grin
                            Holy crap! You actually did the workout? I don't know of anyone who has actually done it and survived! Wink I've never tried it myself, it looked too hard! Tongue If you think this stuff was hard, wait till you try some of the stuff from the Core Performance book! Wink Don't forget, we want before and after pictures! Have a good weekend, and enjoy your recovery!
                              Mike, nice looking spreadsheet! I really have nothing to add, on paper it looks like a good plan. All I can say is be flexible and change things up as needed, depending on how you feel after your races. Err in favor of doing less instead of more. That is AWESOME Mike! You can do it, and we will make sure you do! I saw a program on TV where this place got people to stop smoking by literally shoving cigarettes in them all day long till they got sick and never wanted to see another one. It was gross, but it worked.
                              Thanks Bob. I plan on being flexible with the plan. The training phase is still 6-7 weeks away. I mostly wanted to write it down so I wouldn't obsess over it (as much). Big grin I'll definitely give it a tune up if needed after Ultracentric.
                              Holy crap! You actually did the workout? I don't know of anyone who has actually done it and survived! Wink I've never tried it myself, it looked too hard! Tongue If you think this stuff was hard, wait till you try some of the stuff from the Core Performance book! Wink
                              Um. Why don't I believe you regarding the workout that I did yesterday. I think you just don't want to hurt my feelings with the fact that you can do 35 reps of it with your eyes closed and one hand behind your back Clowning around I am not looking forward to the Core Performance book. But since I spent the money on it - I will be compelled to read it and try some of the stuff out.
                              Don't forget, we want before and after pictures! Have a good weekend, and enjoy your recovery!
                              I'll get some flabby gut pictures this weekend. Big grin Maybe in a few months (or years) - my abs will resemble Pam's! You have a good weekend too! And thanks again for your great advice. I'm sure in a day or two my abs will like you again! Big grin (They are actually feeling a lot better compared to yesterday. So time for another session in the morning, I think).

Derek, I took the GPS and headed over to that hill course I mentioned above. I didn't run it yet - just drove to the top of the hill on my way to the trails. Turns out (according to motion based) that it's closer to 275 feet of climb. Even better (evil laugh). I still want/need a few more days of recovery before I try it. I did however try one of the moderate trails in Cedar Ridge Preserve. I only did 2.3ish miles, but it is very nice back there. Very hilly too! It was a great change from always running the sidewalks and streets. Make sure there is plenty of light so you can see the trail - it is steep in places - rocky in others - but the majority (or the part I ran) was easy to navigate and relatively smooth. I can't wait to get a chance to try it again and explore the rest of the trail system.