RA Coaching Forum

RunChic's HM Training (Read 662 times)

madness baby

I've found a half at the end of the summer that I'm going to train for - Aug. 19th in San Diego. I think I will be able to devote a lot of time to training this summer, and I'm looking forward to getting faster! So, my first half (in Jan 07) was at 2:09. My pace has improved over the last 6 months, from painfully slow 3-mile runs to consistent, easy 10-min pace runs. This is without any speedwork or hill workouts, so I'm hopeful, but I don't know what's realistic. I'd like to aim for a sub- 2-hour HM. Do you guys think this would be possible?
    deb
    mikeymike

I definitely think it's possible. August will be just under a year of running for you so you are just starting to get your aerobic base under you. You have lots of upsdide!

Runners run

madness baby

I'll take that vote of confidence! Big grin I got a 16-week training plan from Runners World that starts tomorrow. That will lead me up to 2 weeks before the race, when I (here comes the bad part) will be leaving for a 2-week trip to Australia. I'll have some time at a conference (sitting) and some time diving and being outdoors (cross-training?). I will have to make a serious plan to train those 2 weeks. I'll post more later with my training plan as I get into it.
        deb
        muse_runner

keep running.

Oh yeah girl it's more than possible. I think that is a great first half-marathon time. You'll totally break 2 hours noooo sweat! keep us posted on your training Smile
          running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.

madness baby

Thanks, Muse. The half was my original, seemingly-impossible goal to get me into the sport. I ended up running with my sister-in-law who probably pushed me a little harder than I would have on my own. I hope I can push myself next time and learn how to feel my pace a little better. First week of my plan: Mon: XT or a short run, 3 miles Tues: Easy run at 11:13. Yeah right. My body likes 10-min miles. 3 miles. Weds: XT Thurs: Tempo run, 5 miles with 3 miles at 9:35 Fri: Easy run, 3 miles Sat: rest or XT Sun: Long run, 7 miles. Maybe 11-min pace if I can force it.
            deb

Prophet!

I'd like to go to Australia for some surfing cross-training...then again, I'd go to San Diego too for that Smile . Are you planning on inserting some strides on your easy days ? I've been 6 - 10 x 20s strides two days a week towards the tail end of my easy runs and i think it seems to help with running at faster pace, probably more mentally than physically. Its like getting your body and mind to notice the possibility of faster paces. Good luck with the training and the race

madness baby

Hmm, tell me a little more about these "strides." (Like for someone who seriously knows nothing about running.) Sounds like a good way to pick up a little speed on easy days, though. Yes, surfing. My husband has picked it up and it's peaceful just watching him and his friends out there. Smile Revised schedule for this week: Mon: 2 easy miles + XT Tues: happy hour at a new wine bar. oops. Weds: make up for Tues Thurs: tempo run after work. yay. Also, Claire just posted a website for a race that's really close to me, so I think I'll plan for that 10K in a couple of weeks. My first and only other 10K was in the same place just in December, so I think I can aim for a new PR for this one!
                deb

Prophet!

basically you just do 60 -100 m of near top speed, accelerating the first 50 m and holding near top-speed for the rest of distance, just make sure you can still maintain good form...i don't think distance matters so much as long as they're not too long...i usually sprint for 20s, 6 - 8 times. You should feel refreshed after and not beat up... here's a better description click

madness baby

Quick and dirty, perfect. Thanks for that, Surf! I'll try that out, if I "earn" my running by this afternoon! Smile
                    deb
                    muse_runner

keep running.

Deb...I'm in So Cali too. I love wine bars, shopping, and running! Oh and grad school venting. Anytime you want a female buddy to go out with, give me a holler! We need to get eachother's emails!
                      running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.

madness baby

Yeah, where are you? I'm in west LA/Santa monica. My email's debra.berry@cgu.edu, for the next month or so at least Wink Oh, and I haven't earned my running today. Too much to do. Tomorrow after work Sad
                        deb
                        muse_runner

keep running.

Oh my gosh I think I know where you go to school. We totally have to talk! Smile I'll email you from work.... gotta get to my run! So nice to meet you! Dont' force yourself to run miles if you don't want to. Some days its harder to put the shoes on than others but when you get to the point where you are totally clothed and still don't want to go running, then that's not good and can lead to mental burn out. yay I can't wait to email you! hugs!

madness baby

Thanks for the advice, Jen. I know I don't have to get out there, it just seems when I don't one day, the next day I tend to push it off too. It's a bad habit. Then if I can get dressed, or get to the gym, I can run no problem. That's good I guess! Also, I have a girlfriend who might be training for the half with me, so that will help with probably 1 day/week hopefully. I had a bad tempo run today. I warmed up for 1.5 miles and was supposed to do 3 more miles at 9:35 pace, but I could only make it 1.5 miles at that pace. It's so much easier for me during races!! I'll hvae to get used to speedwork, but I think I'll like the intervals more than the tempo. I'm not that good at pushing myself just yet.
                            deb

Prophet!

I probably would have a hard time pushing myself on the treadmill but you'll be able to do it soon enough. I'm wondering that maybe you need to build your base back up again with more consistent mileage before doing some tempos. I know its hard to put in mileage with daily stuffs going on...i'm having to wake up at 4:30 in the morning just to get my run in before my son wakes up. aloha, steve

madness baby

Do you mean more consistent mileage after the marathon (early march)? I'm shooting for about 20/week until school is over. I thought I'd be able to handle my tempo at that pace, but I guess not. I think 2x 1.5 miles at my tempo pace is a good goal for my next one. This week I have intervals - 2x1600 at 9-min pace, and that will likely be tough as well. I might have to make it 800s. I've got to start somewhere, though. I had a perfectly blissful run today. I need to take days off- I can always tell when my body appreciates the rest!! Feel SOOOO good to get out there, especially knowing I'm going to be held captive at my computer on a Sat night!
                                deb