RA Coaching Forum

Rockenmama's Ultra Marathon training journal (Read 757 times)

Future running partner.

So this past week was a good running week. I managed to get all scheduled runs completed. I did cut the last run a tiny bit short, but as dehydrated as I was feeling it was the smart thing to do. I've decided with the heat that I am no longer going to be the intervals (that is unless it cools down to 60's). With my back to back long runs getting longer, I need to try and keep the rest as easy as possible. I also need to work on slowing down my pace during my long runs to more around 10 minute average pace. My legs are definitely feeling the accumulative effects from the past 7 or so weeks of training. In 4 weeks I'll be on to 4 hour and 5 hour back to back runs. Talk about scary! This weeks schedule Tuesday=9 Wed=5 Thurs=9 Friday=off Sat=4 hours Sun=3.5 hours
    I agree with you on the heat issue. Although, as you get aclimated you may be able to start your interval sessions again, but at a slower pace. 4 and 5 hour runs, HOLY CRAP!!! Shocked. It sounds like you will be pushing yourself right to the edge of the envelope. In your log it may be a good idea to post stretching sessions and any other work you do to lower your chances of injury. So if something does go wrong (G forbid) its easier to attribute it to something.
    btb1490

I can't even imagine doing the schedule you are doing! But if anyone is suited for this stuff, it's you Pam. You are a long distance running machine.
      btb1490

Glad to see that Bob!! Hope to see some of those latest pictures that you took on your runs!!
        And Bob! Good to see you. Looks like your running is going well these days. Don't see around much anymore. Do you not hang out on RA much these days?
        Thanks Pam and Mike! Smile Pam, sorry about the hijack! Running is coming along. The ankle surgery I had a few weeks back really helped. Last week and the beginning of this week has been tough with being sick, but I think things are back on track again. I've posted some pictures in my defunct blog from my run last weekend. Keep up the great work guys and gals!
          Thanks Pam and Mike! Smile Pam, sorry about the hijack! Running is coming along. The ankle surgery I had a few weeks back really helped. Last week and the beginning of this week has been tough with being sick, but I think things are back on track again. I've posted some pictures in my defunct blog from my run last weekend. Keep up the great work guys and gals!
          Wow! I didn't realize you had ankle surgery - and back to running! Awesome. I saw in your log that you've been sick - glad to see you are starting to feel human again! What's next for you race/marathon wise?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

OK I REALLY REALLY need to work on slowing my pace down. Dh is suggesting putting an alarm on his garmin so when I go over the "pace" that I want I'll slow down. Anyway I know that I'm not running these long runs slow enough and that I'm asking for trouble if I keep it up. As it is yesterday I started running out of steam (heat didn't help) and I just didn't have the mental HTFU to keep going. It was easier to just stop at 13 since I had a "valid" exuse (kids were getting ready to do their fun run). Even the new amphipod didn't get me to slow down enough. So I'm bound and determined to get my average pace around 10 minute miles (at least if not slower) for tonights 3.5 hour run. I've also really really gotta work on my calorie intake. Seems that eating cleanly (for the most part) just isn't getting me enough calories. The nice thing is that I'm losing fat around my thigh and butt area (been trying for ages to get that stuff off) however that isn't going to help my running or recovery one bit. Any suggestions to what pace I should go for (my long runs) as well as how to help get it there would be much appreciated! TIA Pam

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Future running partner.

If you are running at an effort that's close to your aerobic threshold in perfect conditions, then you may be going beyond that threshold in the heat. This may be causing you to get tired before the end of your runs. If you are using a Garmin with the HRM are you using any formula for determining your aerobic HR zones or are you going primarily on perceived effort?
                Well I DID IT!! I slowed my pace WAY down thanks to a HM and a little motivation from my dh Smile It was weird in the beginning. I felt like I was ALMOST "crawling" I made sure to change the data fields showing on Garmin to Average Heart Rate, Current Hear Rate, Distance and Time. So I had NO clue what my pace was other than "slow" The HR monitor did have a bit of a problem with in the first quarter mile where it went as high as 178 (there was no way it was that high and dh says it does that to him as well during warm up) but it wasn't long before it was under 140 pretty steady. I used my amphiphod ultra lite again and it's AWESOME. It carries 32 oz of wate (4 8oz bottles)r, which I refilled once. So 64 oz of water and 2 gels is what I used for my 19.4 mile run. It's amazing what little things effect your heart rate, like heat, hydration, energy etc. Everytime I started feeling like I really needed water I'd check my hr out and it would be up a few points. Shortly after drinking my water it would be back down. Also when I got out from the cover of shade my hr would go up a bit as well making me slow down my pace. It wasn't easy sticking to the slow pace but my determination to show DH that I COULD keep successfully do a "MAF" long run kept me on task. Felt great at the end and feeling even better this morning. I had thoughts of going out for a run, but decided that I better play it smart.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Future running partner.

Way to GO!!! Cool
                    If you are running at an effort that's close to your aerobic threshold in perfect conditions, then you may be going beyond that threshold in the heat. This may be causing you to get tired before the end of your runs. If you are using a Garmin with the HRM are you using any formula for determining your aerobic HR zones or are you going primarily on perceived effort?
                    I'm getting tired at the end of my long runs because THEY ARE VERY LONG and 2 back to back. I can't imagine doing 20-27 miles without feeling a little tired at the end. Anyway I decided to MAFF (low heart rate training) which you minus your age from 180 and that's the target rate you go for. I could easily add an extra 5 beats to it since I've got such a good base going. ALso my max hr is well over 200. Anyways other thanit being slower, my long run didn't feel much different than my other ones. Breathing was pretty much the same. The one thing that was a PIA was making sure my hr didn't get over 140 (though it did)

Future running partner.

Sounds like you are doing everything you can to stay healthy. I think the MAF thing will really benefit you. Since part of the goal of that kind of training is to improve the ability to burn Fat as a fuel source. You will definately need to do that well in an ULTRA.
                      btb1490

Cool Pam! I think the heartrate training will suit you well, and it's a perfect way to keep things in check given weather conditions, how you are feeling on a particular day, etc. It doesn't take long to get used to slowing down, does it! Tongue MTA: I may have given you this link before. It talks about the effects of dehydration on performance. http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/summer.shtml
                          Cool Pam! I think the heartrate training will suit you well, and it's a perfect way to keep things in check given weather conditions, how you are feeling on a particular day, etc. It doesn't take long to get used to slowing down, does it! Tongue MTA: I may have given you this link before. It talks about the effects of dehydration on performance. http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/summer.shtml
                          Thanks Bob! I must have missed that the last time but THANKS!! Great article!

Sounds like you are doing everything you can to stay healthy. I think the MAF thing will really benefit you. Since part of the goal of that kind of training is to improve the ability to burn Fat as a fuel source. You will definately need to do that well in an ULTRA.
                            Thanks Tom!! Now I've got to start figuring out my eating during my runs. I think I may start this weekend.

So last weeks training went pretty well even though I ended up splitting my 4 hour run into 2 runs. I just didn't have the HTFU mentality to keep going. Between still not getting enough calories in, the heat and the fact that I had way too many "exuses" it was just too easy to do it that way. I won't be doing that this week. If needed I'll do my runs later in the day to avoid the excessive heat, though I really shouldn't do that. This week schedule is Today 9 miles TomorrowSurprisedff (going to NYC) Thursday:5 Friday:4 hours Saturday:3.5 hours Sunday:9 Though I may end up changing the dates and doing both long runs this weekend and doing my 9 mile on Thurs and 5 mile on Friday. We'll see how scheduling is later in the week. I'm feeling really good right now *knock on wood* Maybe i'm getting used to running in the heat, and am actually getting my calories right (lots of junk the past few days) or maybe I'm getting used to the back to back long runs. I'm going to enjoy the feeling good while I can!

Doing it over 2 runs when you need to isn't the end of the world. You got the time in at least. When I eat on my 3-4+ hour training runs, I like to take gummi bears and things like that with me, although I haven't used them in any of my races (I've only run up to 50k so far, and only use gels in my marathons.) I also try to do some looping so that I can get a banana or something halfway through.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)