RA Coaching Forum

Max heart rate question... (Read 444 times)

Hi all, help please... I've noticed in the last few weeks that my max heart rate on normal training runs has increased from the 180s at the beginning of the year to over 200 beats/min now on some runs. My average heart rate has, however, been pretty consistent, even dropping a bit. For example, yesterday I did 16km over a hilly course at 5min/km, my average heart rate was 147, my max 204. However, during a tempo run at the end of June this year when I did 10km at 4.10min/km my max HR was 179. I'm using the Garmin 305, am 27 years old and a pretty fit, competitive runner. So, my questions: 1. What does it mean that my max has increased to this level? 2. Is there a maximum max heart rate? 3. Why does an easier/slower run produce a higher max HR than a hard tempo run? Thanks...

Marquess of Utopia

Your heart rate shouldn’t max out on an easy run, but you could max it out on a slower (pace) run if it was a really hilly and you were exerting yourself running up the hills.

Future running partner.

Hi all, help please... I've noticed in the last few weeks that my max heart rate on normal training runs has increased from the 180s at the beginning of the year to over 200 beats/min now on some runs. My average heart rate has, however, been pretty consistent, even dropping a bit. For example, yesterday I did 16km over a hilly course at 5min/km, my average heart rate was 147, my max 204. However, during a tempo run at the end of June this year when I did 10km at 4.10min/km my max HR was 179. I'm using the Garmin 305, am 27 years old and a pretty fit, competitive runner. So, my questions: 1. What does it mean that my max has increased to this level? 2. Is there a maximum max heart rate? 3. Why does an easier/slower run produce a higher max HR than a hard tempo run? Thanks...
        It could be a malfunction in the Garmin. I've heard they can spike, pretty wildly, sometimes. You might need a new battery in the chest stap if this is happening frequently. I don't think the hr spikes that much as you described on its own. Maybe at most 20 to 25 beats as you go up a steep hill on a steady run. But for it to jump from 147 to 200+ you'd have to be doing some sprinting in the middle of your run. You may also want to ask this question in the Low Heart Rate training group, since they have lots of experience with these things.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Do you upload your Garmin data to MotionBased? That way, we could look at the graph. It's certainly possible to max out on a hilly course. You'll have to look at your data to see if it's a random spike, or just the result of hard work. I've noticed that I get spikes and higher than average readings when I don't have good contact with the electrode (i.e. not enough moisture). That could also be a problem.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Most likely it's a malfunction spike, but another possibility is that with being in better shape you are running harder than you used to. I can still consciously get my heart rate over 200, and have spikes up near 220, and I'm about your age. So it is entirely possible that it is accurate. Like Jeff said, take a look at the graph and its pretty obvious if it is a spike or not.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)