RA Coaching Forum

Muse Runner's 10k Training Log (Read 1627 times)

Scout7

Scout I would have DIED if I pushed a 5k pace for a 5 miler. How did it work out for you?
    Eh. I don't have much difference.....Ran a 33:09 overall. 6:23, 12:53, 19: something, and then the 5 mile mark. I didn't wear a watch or Garmin or anything on this one. At least I didn't puke like I did the other weekend for the 20K.....
    mikeymike

Those are some pretty whack splits even with the margin of error on the garmin. Was it a hilly course? If not then, yeah, you went out too fast. Sucks the course was off. I'm amazed how many race courses people have reported being long or short on here lately. This very rarely happens around my area or if it does everyone hears about it and it is a big deal and a huge black eye for the race organizers. I think the combo of increased mileage and intensity is throwing you all off. Its tough to increase both at the same time...

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

No hills. The course was flat as a pancake but has some cross country terrain and a lot of winding around parking lots and such. Roll eyes I just need to pick up and move on. Right now my self-worth is in the toliet.
        running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I just need to pick up and move on. Right now my self-worth is in the toliet.
          Hang in there. I know Garmins have a margin for error, but it really sounds like your course was long, esp based on your splits. If your Garmin was accurate, you ran about a 22:00 5k, (I calculate 21:59.4) which would be a massive improvement over the previous year. You'd be amazed how well-tuned runners can be about course length. I've run several courses in the pre-GPS era that have been either too short or too long, and in all cases, runners were milling about afterwards talking about how messed up the course was. (Hmm, everyone at our sophomore year HS conference meet set a PR. Suspicious? Yeah! 256 suspicious yards short!) You ran longer than a 5k. Your body knows it, and your tech gear just confirms it. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

muse_runner

keep running.

Wow Jeff, what an awesome reply. You made me feel sooo much better. Yes, having put in a lot of miles in over the past 2 years I can say that I think I know what a mile feels like. My garmin is often a few 100 yards too early but sometimes it's on the nose. There's no telling, and with tree coverage and clouds, it can be really whacky sometimes. I'll just have to wait and see what others have done. If they are really slow, then I know it's the course!
            running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

BTW Muse, I would cross that race off next year's calendar. There's no excuse not having mile markers (at least 1 and 2 -- I can see skipping milie 3) at a 5k.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

muse_runner

keep running.

Just did a little math...scarey and sad possible Garmin explanation: 1.09 + 1.09 + 1.09 +.12 +.07 --------- ~3.47 oops i did too many 00's Smile i was typing in a rush 'cause i heard the boss comin' in well maybe i just totally died on this race!

Why is it sideways?

My pet peeve is when mile markers are messed up or non-existent. You have a right to be pissed. It sounds like you don't even know if you had a bad day. Bad day, or not, you're still a cool cat. Big grin
                  Scout7

My pet peeve is when mile markers are messed up or non-existent. You have a right to be pissed. It sounds like you don't even know if you had a bad day. Bad day, or not, you're still a cool cat. Big grin
                    Ooo...I agree. Especially in a shorter race, although it can have some pretty bad consequences in longer ones, too. It's always tough for me to go off mile markers in races. I know they're certified and all, but still. Is that marker .1 too short or long? I follow them, but try to remember that one bad mile isn't going to kill my overall performance.

Wasatch Speedgoat

You know what I'd say....leave the Garmin at home and just run. We never had that crap back when I raced fast and courses were all inaccurate. Just run and the incorrect course will be the same for everyone. It just sounds to me like you need to get the "feel" of racing and the only way to do that is to keep racing. It should NOT feel hard in the beginning of a race. It should feel like you're floating along at a pace that you never knew you could run! Also I would certainly back off on the speed on weeks that you have a race...the race take the place of the speedwork. If you do two speed sessions, then race...you are doing 3 speed sessions and violating the rule of 5-10% (depending on what coach you listen to). Do not run more than 5-10% fast miles of your total weekly mileage! So if you're running 50 miles per week, all of your fast miles (speedwork and racing) should not be more than 5 miles...all of the rest of your training should be at a nice, pleasant recovery and aerobic building pace. Good luck! (I just knew a couple of weeks ago you were burning it at both ends) Steve PS: This week do nothing but jog and maybe a few strides 3 days before your race, run your 10K, go out easy and pick it up and report back here. I bet you'll have a smile on your face Smile ...and stop that stupid talk about leaving us, just because you're here doesn't mean you HAVE to run 2000 miles!

Life is short, play hard!

muse_runner

keep running.

Good evening guys... Blush I need to go back to the 2000 mile forum to see how everyone's races went. I know that I have been slapped down hard by this race. It just freaks me out to think that a year has gone by, how could I be slower? Well, if I did violate the rule that Steve proclaims (and I am a person who STRONGLY believes in EZ miles and lots of them) then I am a bufoon! 'DOH! No results from the race posted yet. It's a "manual timing" company. So not only was the race unmarked, uncertified, but the timing system was your basic manual timing, which is how I got to become a bandit without really being a bandit (if that makes sense) heh. I have no idea what I'll do for the 10k but the goal is to run on fresh legs. Not overly tapered legs but FRESH legs. Right now both feet are puffy and swollen and the little bones in my right foot hurt badly. Sad So yes it's time to recover! Thanks for the pick me up everyone you guys are realy great. You know, I didn't start PRing until I learned how to run 5 days a week. Damnit if I could just remmeber that! Argh. So the goal now is: hanging out at 38 miles a week (after this little stretch of speed work and heavy racing) on 5 days a week. Lots more rest for my body! Big grin
                        muse_runner

keep running.

A few people on another message board said that the course was too long. Actually I posted something and all of the replies about the race were "where are the results?" "the course was definitely different than last year" and "my times were the slowest they've ever been." Too bad they decided not to post the results at all. I am wondering if they are dodging the bullet... Roll eyes Soooo annoying. Yes I am crossing this one off my list. Even if the field was small...
                          muse_runner

keep running.

Steve: been thinking about your striders suggestion for Thursday's workout. how long? 200 meters or 100 meter strides? how many? I feel gross today. I took my run easy and shortened the distance. I feel like a fat f--- Smile
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hey Muse, any chance you know that course well enough to map it out on RA to check the distance? It might help you once and for all put that race behind you. I know it'll help me -- I kept randomly thinking "there's no way she ran 25:00 off of that training" the other day.

muse_runner

keep running.

Hey Jeff, You are so thoughtful! Well, actually right after the race I had my immediate doubts so I attempted in earnest to map the course. The problem is you've got to picture that 90% of the race wasn't done on roads. The race was all on college campus sidewalk/walkways that weave around the school's interior and part of it is on the perimeter of the campus. The problem gets worse when we diverged onto a cross country type of trail for about 200 meters and then for some odd reason we hit this same patch on the way back.... we didn't do this last year... there is construction so possibly this changed things...anyhow, then we cut through some houses, passed the school's library... it was just odd. I tried to use MapMyRun.Com but I can't get a good view of the school's sidewalks because they are sometimes shaded by shrubs. I also zoomed in and there are like 50 million sidewalks that converge in some areas so I don't know which direction we went. But I'm willing to try to give it a go again. Maybe I'll print the hybrid view and see if I can have my friend who is super good at visual spaital stuff draw it for me. For now, I don't think I see the paths at all! They did have a course map, but the buildings on MapMyRun don't totally match what the drawing of the course has. So in total... yeah I tried! Smile I keep waking up thinking the same thing. I never ran a 25 minute 5k in my life. Shoot, I dunno.