RA Running Game 2021

Tentative Dates For Running Game 2022 (Read 70 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Friday, Nov  26 - New Signups ---> Thread will be started in the main forums.
    Sunday, Dec 12 – Last day to sign up for team game. Individual game sign ups to end of December.
    Sunday, Dec 19 – Teams will be announced in 2022 Game forum.
            * Teams will create subforums, select 2 captains and team name by month end

We are still checking a few details. At this point, we will start the year with race points suspended.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Pain is my friend

Yahooooo I am ready for next year.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

At this point, we will start the year with race points suspended.

This is of course the decision of the admins, but just wanted to contribute some info on the current US situation. For the most part, anyone who wants to race is able to - there are plenty of races available, of all distances. No doubt some people have chosen to not resume racing, for safety reasons. And in some parts of the country, people who are not vaccinated have more limited options. FWIW.

Dave

Duke of the Internet

Friday, Nov  26 - New Signups ---> Thread will be started in the main forums.
          Sunday, Dec 12 – Last day to sign up for team game. Individual game sign ups to end of December.
          Sunday, Dec 19 – Teams will be announced in 2022 Game forum.
                  * Teams will create subforums, select 2 captains and team name by month end

We are still checking a few details. At this point, we will start the year with race points suspended.

So 4 teams or 8 teams or still TBD?

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

This is of course the decision of the admins, but just wanted to contribute some info on the current US situation. For the most part, anyone who wants to race is able to - there are plenty of races available, of all distances. No doubt some people have chosen to not resume racing, for safety reasons. And in some parts of the country, people who are not vaccinated have more limited options. FWIW.

^ agreed.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Races are still going virtual in Canada. A February half I've done the last few year is likely going virtual again in 2022. My two December races this year are virtual. I was still seeing race cancellations in the US in the last few weeks. I think it puts Canadian runners at a disadvantage to reinstate points for racing to start the new year, but we can definitely have the discussion.  (And if I recall, Marky Mark has been racing in person most of this year while races in North America were on hold.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

So 4 teams or 8 teams or still TBD?

Still waiting for clarification from Eric on that. It's not an issue if we get 90 people signing up for teams, but given the changes the last few years, it's harder to do 8 teams with less people. As posted in the other game discussion thread, here's the trend....

2021, 70 team members and 39 individuals in the game.

2020, 100 team members and 44 individuals.

2019, 133 team and 48 individuals.

2018, 158 team and 91 individuals.

2017, 179 team and 71 individual.

If we only get 60 people signing up, those are really small teams. IF we go to 4 teams, then I think we would have to consider skipping quarter finals, have semi-finals, finals and finish 3 weeks early. That way people aren't so stressed about holidays because we hear it every year that the holidays are busy and not every runner can run big mileage at Christmas.

The admins don't do the tech stuff. Eric is our board guru. We are looking into what the game will let us do; the parameters are set to some extent, like we have to set up the game in multiples of 4. I will let you know as soon as we know. We might not know when registration opens, but we will know in December. Bottom line, 4 teams is a worst case scenario if signs up numbers are terrible.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Duke of the Internet

Still waiting for clarification from Eric on that. It's not an issue if we get 90 people signing up for teams, but given the changes the last few years, it's harder to do 8 teams with less people. As posted in the other game discussion thread, here's the trend....

2021, 70 team members and 39 individuals in the game.

2020, 100 team members and 44 individuals.

2019, 133 team and 48 individuals.

2018, 158 team and 91 individuals.

2017, 179 team and 71 individual.

If we only get 60 people signing up, those are really small teams. IF we go to 4 teams, then I think we would have to consider skipping quarter finals, have semi-finals, finals and finish 3 weeks early. That way people aren't so stressed about holidays because we hear it every year that the holidays are busy and not every runner can run big mileage at Christmas.

The admins don't do the tech stuff. Eric is our board guru. We are looking into what the game will let us do; the parameters are set to some extent, like we have to set up the game in multiples of 4. I will let you know as soon as we know. We might not know when registration opens, but we will know in December. Bottom line, 4 teams is a worst case scenario if signs up numbers are terrible.

Oh wow.  Those numbers are telling.  Thanks for sharing that with us.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yep, going from 144 people total last year to 109 this year was a big drop. I worry about next year.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

John Wood

It is sad to see the numbers drop that much. The game has been a very good thing for me. It’s given me some new perspective on both my running and what friendship can be. I’ve met some great people through this game. I’ve not committed every year because I always wanted to be able to fully contribute each year, and if I felt that was going to be an issue, I stayed out.  Next year is going to be one of those years that will be an issue. But now I’m thinking that I should go ahead and sign up. Start with a low mile option, then if things get better in the year, change my goal.

Marky_Mark_17

Races are still going virtual in Canada. A February half I've done the last few year is likely going virtual again in 2022. My two December races this year are virtual. I was still seeing race cancellations in the US in the last few weeks. I think it puts Canadian runners at a disadvantage to reinstate points for racing to start the new year, but we can definitely have the discussion.  (And if I recall, Marky Mark has been racing in person most of this year while races in North America were on hold.)

I was... until August.  Since then, lockdowns in Aug/Sept meant almost everything was cancelled, and Oct/Nov only allowed for smaller races in some areas.

With vaccination rates looking good we are moving to a different system from early Dec.  Basically, green / orange light = races (IF you're vaccinated... which I am), and red light = small races / wave starts or no races.  Not sure whether we'll be on orange or stuck on red for the summer 10k series that starts in Jan, but probably no different now to the lottery most others have been dealing with for the last few months.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Those numbers are a bit of a bummer, considering all the good work the admins have consistently put in.

But I agree if numbers are low, it's better to have fewer, larger teams.  The smaller the team, the greater the risk of "rogue" results if one or more members are on IR.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Registration opens tomorrow.

(I still don't know how many teams.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Registration opens tomorrow.

(I still don't know how many teams.)

You have the date written incorrectly in the link as the 27th...it’s correct everywhere else. 

Dave

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks, Dave!

Half Fanatic #9292.