Trailer Trash

Where is my weakness? (Read 56 times)

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Hey all! Got a question.

i have noticed for at least two years, yes two years, now that my left heel drags when I run. I can hear it when I run on the road and can see the wear on my shoe. It seems worse now but that may just be that I am more aware of it. Coincidently it is my RIGHT knee that gives me trouble (ITB/runners knee).

Sooo, what do you think is my weakness? What do I need to work on?

i have only been doing yoga as cross training for the past several months and while I think it has really helped my knee, I haven't seen any improvement with the heel drag.

thanks.

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

Trail Monster

The ITBS/knee pain is probably due to the fact you're a woman. Wider hips = sore knees in many cases. Strengthening your quads can help. Keep stretching and massaging that too.

The heel drag would probably mean you're not picking up your foot enough. Since it's not your toes dragging you're dorsiflexors (front of your calves) are likely strong enough. It's more likely to be a hip flexor/quad weakness as well. Start doing some squats and lunges (just body weight at first) and I bet you'll feel more soreness in your quads than anywhere else, indicating they are the weak link. Wall sits and crunches can also strengthen the hip flexors and quads.

Hope that helps!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

skeene07

Dirty Girl

I was wondering if it might be my hip flexors too. Or why quads over glutes?

My next question would be that if I should do the wall sits and crunches how would that help if one hip flexor seems to be much weaker then the other? Maybe do those bicycle crunches or something else?

I can definitely tell a difference in my stride with how I pick up my right leg higher then the left but just trying to work on picking up the left in the same way doesnt seem to work.

It might be worth it to check out a PT.  You probably could get away with just a couple of sessions; have the PT check you out and prescribe some exercises that will help your specific imbalances.  I did that when I first started running and had some ITB issues.  I believe I just had to go 2-3 times, then I just did the exercises on my own.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Although it is rather unlikely, it might be a neural issue, perhaps coming from the back, especially if exercises don't bring any changes.

You might try out by standing on your toes or walking on your heels if both feet are able to develop the same strength. If not, the signal transmission in the nerves of the weaker foot might be compromised. If it is the case, you could have a back problem, or some other neural problem along the nerve. Or it might be a specific muscle/nerve issue in the lower leg or foot.

A neurologist or orthopedic doc should be able to figure this out. I'd see one if the PT and exercises, performed regularly for 2 or 3 weeks, and running with high awareness to correct the dragging heel, don't show any effect. If you don't see any improvement, don't wait too long for the doc-appointment because neural issues tend do resolve better the earlier they are taken care of, while waiting too long might lead to permanent damage.

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

All good answers and probably all have something to do with the issue.  I like EDRW's answer about a PT.  I will add to it.  FInd a PT who KNOWS running.  I have a suggestion for one if you cannot find one in York.  The one I went to is in Carlisle - maybe a bit of a drive but worth it.  They work with a lot of runners and have a running/cycling shop in the PT office.  Collectively they are a great bunch.  The down side of that is you might come out of it with an answer you don't want to hear.  For me it was "Your mechanics really suck!".  OK my PT didn't actually say that but that is what I heard.  I now have custom orthotics (not cheap!) and am slowly (s-l-o-w-l-y) getting back in the swing of things.  A good PT can for sure tell you what part of your mechanics are wrong, what parts of your muscles, joints, tendons, etc are weak and devise a plan of how to correct.  The solutions are usually slow (i.e. weeks and months of rehab exercises to strengthen the weak stuff) but the results are worth it for distance runners.

Let me know if you want the info for this place in Carlisle.  I don't know of the ones in York but maybe some of your running buddies would.  Also would help to check with your insurance to see what they cover as the appts could be expensive if you have no coverage.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Hmm. I was afraid I might need to see a PT again.

i saw one back at the end of November when the ITB problem was almost resolved. He spent an hour doing all kinds of tests and taped up my knee. He basically told me that the exercises I was doing already were what I should be doing and that I was rehabbing nicely. THEN told me I should come back twice a week for several weeks.

Umm, I think not! My insurance does not cover much of the PT so it is expensive.

But I never thought to mention and he didn't say anything about one side being weaker then the other.

Also, I am left side dominant and that is the side that is dragging. I sure hope it's not a neurological issue since I've noticed it for over two years now, yikes. Actually, Rik noticed it when we ran in the snow and for a some odd reason he was behind me and mentioned it. The way that the snow looked (as a heel drag would).

Jamie, please let me know your guys info incase I can't find something closer. I'm certainly not going back to the other guy.

My ITB is not giving me any problems right now but I was wondering if there was some kind of connection there.

Better I Leave

What do I need to work on?

You might want to try beginning with light, deep squats with a wide stance. Start light while you get accustomed to the range of motion. Just my .02

Uh oh... now what?

Stacey,

In this household... she has an artificial hip, I am missing an ACL -- over time we have found

it worth while to look at all the pretty exercise/weight machines and figure out which ones we

can do with just one leg so we can make a compensation plan of attack.

You might be able to get enough advice/guesses from Dr. Google, then if you have a decent

gym, weight room, something to go to -- find the machines that do just what you want, then

start the patience while training program.

There are three machines at the fitness center we go to that are just for the quads, hams,

and some other muscle groups I don't know the names of--but the machines have pictures

on them.  I reduce the weight and do an individual set just for my weak leg.

Hardest part is to start with low weights--seems way too easy.  I do something like 150 lbs

for both legs (100 reps), only about 40 pounds for the weak leg (25 reps before and after the

both legs thing)--yours will vary, but be careful during the first few weeks, so easy to put a

few more pounds on---and then strain something.

Best wishes with recovery.  We have managed many years and miles in our declining phases.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

For what it's worth here ya go http://cardinmillerpt.com/

The PT I saw was Brian but I am sure they are all good. What I like is they work with everyone from the car accident victim, to the eldery being referred by their insurance to the sports injuries AND the "everyday" sports injuries (i.e ITBS, PF, etc).  You can contact them , phone or email, and they can check your insurance and give you info up front at what coverage is.  That was helpful to me.

Four years ago I first went there for ITBS - I think I did like 4 appts and then I was on my own.  This last time, I did the intensive 2x/week for a few weeks and then cut back.

Maybe you have one leg longer than the other.  It's very common but in some it's more pronounced.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

+1 on what boyjame said.  Get checked for leg length discrepancy.  PT or sports DC.  ITBS on the short side is a symptom.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Thank you everyone for the replies. The one leg shorter then the other is interesting and definitely something I will get checked as well.

im going to make an appt with a PT and go from there Smile