Trailer Trash

The Weekender (Read 17 times)

runtraildc

Ran 6 miles yesterday, mostly paved trail because 1) It was really windy and this trail is nicely sheltered and 2) I was guide running with my blind friend and dirt trails are mostly out of the question. And just got back from helping out at a Stone Mill aid station. Although it was cold (20 at the start), the winds are calm and it's sunny. Runners were pretty happy with the conditions, even the sandaled runner.

qotd: I feel we've asked the vet question many times and we know who is/isn't so I'll ask something different. How much do you know about your family heritage? Anything interesting? DS has been working on a family tree for a school project and has gotten as far back as the 1500's. We found one confederate cavalry soldier, plus a revolutionary war officer. And then the Germans that resettled in Argentina (thankfully before WW2).

jonferg67

Endless trails

Hi everyone,

A little chilly this morning here in NY, time to break out the winter running

gear tote. I got out for about 3.5 miles in 31*. First run in about 6 weeks.

QOTD: I haven't looked too far back into my own family,  Portuguese on

mom's side and Scottish on Dad's. As a result I'm tenacious with a

strong work ethic. DW has traced her family back to Stephen Hopkins, an

original Plymouth Plantation resident.

AT-runner

Tim

Ran 7 miles in the woods. 14° with some wind when I started. I had on shorts, but after a few miles I wish I had on tights. My thighs were red and numb from the windchill. Need to acclimatize to this cold weather or dress better.

DW ran the Turkey Tussle race and was 2nd in her AG.  I stayed away for fear of racing it and messing up my knee progress. DD#2 and her boyfriend provided the early morning entertainment and were frozen. It's hard to play guitar when it so cold out.

I hate to jinx myself, but knee feels about 90% now.  It lets me know if I pus the downhills too much, but I can pick up the [ace on the flats now without it letting me know it's not happy. In 2 weeks it will be 6 months, so my ortho was pretty spot on in his estimate.

jon - welcome back, we missed you.

QOTD:  Know it pretty well on my Dad's side. His father (Sheahan) came from Killarney and his mom (Murphy) from Cork.  I've met some of my relatives while visiting Ireland. They like to sing and drink beer; go figure. One of my distant cousins shares my name, and is a butcher. I have a picture with him outside of his shop in Killarney. My Mom's side had Irish (Barrett from Cork) and Scottish (Gladmon). Unfortunately, her mom died young and her father never wanted to talk about family after her death, so a lot of history went to his grave.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Srd...chores, movie, and a little cooking.

Qotd:  A second cousin did the research on my Dads side and we have a copy but I have yet to read it.

AT:  Congrats Jess and isn't a bit early for a trot?  We do ours here on Thanksgiving.  It's our biggest turn out fir local races

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

I ran a little 5.25 mile loop in the middle of the day. It was good. I have sort of changed my mind about that Red Dirt 100 in February. I think I will jump in a 100 in mid-December. I can hit one mode long run, marathon to 50K, 4 to 6 hours during Thanksgiving break and do a two week taper. I feel too good to pass it up; I think.

QOTD: I have a cousin who had it all the way back to Wales/Britain. I need to look at it.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

AT:  Congrats Jess and isn't a bit early for a trot?  We do ours here on Thanksgiving.  It's our biggest turn out fir local races

It was a Tussle not a Trot.   Yes, it's earlier than previous years. Not sure why.

We have 2 local Turkey Trots (5K's), one is the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and the other one is Thanksgiving morning. Niether are too big, but we used to run the Turkey day one as a family many years ago.

GC100k

12 miles today. Pretty cold out there.

QOTD: My parents' ancestors on both side came from the Netherlands ~100 years ago where they were farmers. Nothing too interesting. My wife's side is a bit more interesting since some were from Britain and can be traced back to royalty (as can anyone from the British Isles if you go back far enough). One of her ancestors was a fiery preacher in Scotland who had to flee to caves and had books written about him. Her grandfather was supposedly Choctaw, but we can't prove it with any official Indian records.

Daydreamer1

I/we wimped out of running the Turkey Tussle. Just didn't feel like driving 80-90 miles for a 15k with not being acclimated to the cold.  Guess we should have went. DW was going to walk/jog the 5k just for something to do. Looks like she would have won her age group since she would have been the only one in it .    Went hunting this afternoon. Seen a coon really close up. Also saw several deer.  They scoped me out, saw that I had the bow and strolled on down the path just out of range and stood there eating .

QOTD: Actually know a fair amount. Once they got to this country there isn't much interesting about them.  They came from Old Swabia, which was part of Germany, Switzerland and maybe Italy, that much is sure.  Some people link the Stauffer name to the Hohenstaufen dynasty which ended when the last ruler had his head cut off . Others say that the name really originated with those that served the royals. Can't find anything concrete. What is known is that those that came to America did so to escape the  religious persecution of the time as they were converts to the Mennonites. Again there are several  reports on how they got here with some of them coming through the Netherlands and others going out through the black sea area. Either way, when they arrived here they arrived with pretty much nothing but the rags on their backs.  Supposedly the records that exist indicate that all Stauffers came in through Philadelphia. With the book that I have  I can track my ancestors back to the late 1600s, at least for the family name. When it comes to my paternal grandmother, it pretty much ends with her. At this time I'm not even sure who her parents were.

It's interesting to follow your roots back.  For our family both my parents share a common ancestor who came here in the early 1700s, but once I try to follow the spouses of my great grandfathers, the trail is cold.

Never tried to follow DW's roots. Those are a mixture of Scottish, Welsh and Irish.

Sandy-2

Wow  and good livk when and where is this? 

QoN, thanks we're gonna need it, but like I said yesterday we're cramming for it.  My DD said "we are going to have to put our big girl panties on..."     well... I won't be doing that.   Brazos Bend is a park about 40 miles SW of Houston.  It's really really flat and most of it is on crushed gravel paths, and there are lots of alligators in the park.  The run is six 16+ mile loops which is not my favorite set up but it's good for first timers and I'll be running with my DD the whole way.

I did 12 miles this morning.  I was supposed to do more but I turned off the alarm and slept another hour. I guess I needed the sleep.  Then once up I had a meat hangover from the Brazilian place (it was so good) we went to last night.  Anyway, the run was nice this morning until the bear attack at the last 1/4 mile (fortunately I made it home ok).

AT, fingers crossed for the knee.

LB2, which one are you thinking about?

qotd:  my father's side is pure German, his dad (my grandfather) came to the US in the early 1900s.  Mother's side is Welsh, French and Scandinavian.  I just have this info from word-of-mouth, never really looked into it.

tbd.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Just a mile each day this week.  Leg somewhat bothering me.  Doesn't seem too serious.  Better each day.  Sure got cold out.  What happened to fall? It went from summer-ish to winter vortex crap.

QOTD: I know some of my heritage but not really enough to speak intelligently.  My sister has done a lot of research into it though.  She put together a project for DS1 a couple years ago that showed he was related to some former presidents.  I can't remember which ones but he was pretty awestruck at the time.

Speaking of DS1, he turns 13 tomorrow.  

Have a great day, night, weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Long run around Caledonia SP and Long Pine Run reservoir. Crisp and cool morning. Leaves were crackling under foot and all the rocks and roots were in hiding. Slow going in parts, but no falls.  Saw 7 other runners, 5 overnight hikers and 12-13 MTB'ers. Busy day on the trails.

Now hot chocolate and then some work on the apartment.

Jamie - Happy 13th to your not-so-little-one.

muppy

Happy birthday to little Jamie!

6.1 miles on the frozen tundra of my trails at work.

It was about 20° out but overall very nice because there was no wind.

QOTD I  was discussing this with the wife when we were in Gettysburg a few weeks ago,  if any of our family members were soldiers that died there. I asked on Facebook of all my relatives and the only response I got was that Eshelman Avenue I believe, is named after one of my relatives.  Other than that most of my family is Pennsylvania Dutch and German. The wife’s middle name is Clark, supposedly she has descended from Clark of Lewis and Clark.  So I guess that almost makes me famous!

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head out for 5-6 miles on the road. Should have went up on the mountain but I had to get caught up with some of my work from home projects. I added the time to my timecard so now I've gotta git er done.

DS went to Philadelphia yesterday and participated in the Italian Stallion challenge.  AKA the Rocky Balboa run. He did a 5k followed by a 10 miler.  Took him about 2:10 to finish but he said he waited for another guy that was running it who was having some foot issues.  Like normal he hadn't  really run since his last 1/2 4 weeks ago . If he would just train a little..............................

Speaking of DS1, he turns 13 tomorrow.  

We'll put you on the prayer chain at church .  Actually the teenage years aren't so bad.  Wishing him a happy birthday.

LB2

QoN, thanks we're gonna need it, but like I said yesterday we're cramming for it.  My DD said "we are going to have to put our big girl panties on..."     well... I won't be doing that.   Brazos Bend is a park about 40 miles SW of Houston.  It's really really flat and most of it is on crushed gravel paths, and there are lots of alligators in the park.  The run is six 16+ mile loops which is not my favorite set up but it's good for first timers and I'll be running with my DD the whole way.

I did 12 miles this morning.  I was supposed to do more but I turned off the alarm and slept another hour. I guess I needed the sleep.  Then once up I had a meat hangover from the Brazilian place (it was so good) we went to last night.  Anyway, the run was nice this morning until the bear attack at the last 1/4 mile (fortunately I made it home ok).

AT, fingers crossed for the knee.

LB2, which one are you thinking about?

qotd:  my father's side is pure German, his dad (my grandfather) came to the US in the early 1900s.  Mother's side is Welsh, French and Scandinavian.  I just have this info from word-of-mouth, never really looked into it.

Loup Garou. It is the Cajun Coyote course.

LB2

Sandy-2

Loup Garou. It is the Cajun Coyote course.

LB2 Sounds good. I thought that Cajun Coyote disappeared so I'm glad to hear something replaced it. That is a good loop to run.  Is it the same race management or someone new?

I did 15 slow miles yesterday.  Just needed to get the miles in and went slow and ran with a few folks here that also were not in a  hurry.

tbd.