Trailer Trash

hypoThermic Thursdaily (Read 13 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  It's another no bueno day here for the trails, -14 with a windchill of -29   So will hit the gym and get on the dreadmill again (will also strength train while I'm there).

qotd: go to shoe?  and how long has it been your go to?  I'm still using La Sportiva Akasha (a bit of a heavier duty trail runner); I've been using the Akasha for about seven years now.  They were discontinued for about 2 years but bought a pair every time I ran into one- ended with about 10 pairs   They've decided to reintroduce them, so I should be good for awhile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Not exactly hypothermic, especially compared to Warden's neck of the woods, but this is what I woke up to.

I live by the ocean, this is not normal!

Got my 9 miles done with intervals yesterday, despite the windy crap.  6 on the schedule for today, either this afternoon or after work.  I think we're getting a break in the precipitation then.

QOTD: I've been wearing Asics forever.  The hubs has a friend who works there so we've gotten some nicely discounted shoes for years.  My go-to are the Asics 1000 or 2000.  Occasionally I give their trail shoes a whirl, currently trying the Asics Trabuco.  Good soles but not much cushioning.  I see there's a Trabuco Max, which might remedy that, so I might try that next.  But as a general rule, I'll probably stick with Hoka Speedgoats for the technical stuff.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

LB2

HOT AF down here. It was 70 this morning when I ran/walked. This tapering has me a little crazy, and I have a bunch of work crap going on that I was hoping was over... It never ends. I only went one 2.5 mile loop today. I was only planning to run 4 days this week, but it will probably be something for 6 days.

QOTD: I would say my go to shoe is the Altra Lone Peak, but when I was dialing things in for this event next week with my b2b long runs and my single long runs in December and January, I needed new shoes. I opted for the Asics Trabuco Max on closeout for $70. They didn't seem to be working, so I ordered a pair of Hoka Torrent 2's, also on closeout for $70. Then, the Asics started working for me. The Trabuco has an enormous amount of cushion that reminds me of the old Hoka Stinson with the Hubble Foam. Thus, even though the Altra's are my "go to", I am going to the Asics. I really love that shoe.

LB2

LB, thanks for the report on the Trabuco Max.  I may need to give them a try.

8 snowy predawn birthday miles. Big ole fat flakes.  It was a real treat. Like Gatsby, we never get snow here on the coast.  Inland and south of us yes.  On the coast? No.  This is probably only the 5th time in our 35+ yrs here that it's snowed.  This is at the end of my run.  I was wondering why my headlamp wasn't very bright. 

May be an image of 1 person, standing, road and sky

Our front and back yards

May be an image of snow

May be an image of 1 person, tree, sky and snow

The cats were extremely confused.  On Tucker's first foray onto the deck, he'd take a step and meow at the snow, take a step, meow.

QOTD: Brooks Adrenaline for road and used to be for trails, but they quick making them.  Booo!  For trail, I run in Asics Gel-Kahana.  I bought 4 pairs when they were on sale for $50.  They aren't as roomy in the toe box as I would like, but they work.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

runtraildc

Good morning. Just a dog walk yesterday after work. Today is heating up so DH and I are headed to the river. He'll kayak-fish and I'll get in about 5 or 6 miles. Maybe less depending on our heat tolerance.

Gatsby-- have you been following the weather in northern AZ? I'm guessing Monument Valley might be missing a lot of the snow and wind, or at least in a week will be improved. DS is in Flagstaff and they are calling for up to two feet of snow.

qotd: Brooks-- Adrenalines or Ghosts for the road, used Cascadias for years. Now using Sauconys for trail. Picked up a pair of Hoka Torrent 2s the other day for $15 (thrift store-- look brand new; I suspect a runner took them for a spin then decided they weren't for them). At that price for the excellent condition, I really had nothing to lose.

LB2

LB, thanks for the report on the Trabuco Max.  I may need to give them a try.

I really like them. They also have great traction, no slip and a little sticky.

LB2

Sandy-2

Got up in the very warm and muggy air this morning and did 13 miles. Sorry mt, here it’s “hippo”-thermic. I  ran the first 5, then walked the next 4 with my running bud, then ran the last 4 back home, all with the pack and 3L of water to continue the pack acclimating.  I was sweating buckets by the time I got home.

qotd: main shoe is Asics Nimbus been wearing them forever, then for more rocky or gnarley long runs I go with Hoka Challenger ATR or Speedgoats.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

1 mile slog with Jack we had a foot of snow and he turned around...guess he doesn't lije breaking ground.  Went back out later and ran (slipped/sliding) 5 miles in the snow

qotd:  I need a go to shoe...I guess the Hoka challenger was pretty good and should go back.  I also liked the Salomon Sense Ride.  Currently in Saucony Peregrine 12...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A toasty 68F here today as I got out for 10 miles.

Gatsby - I think that's more snow than we've had all season.

Warden - that reminds me why I don't take winter vacations out west. at Glacier of Yellowstone.

qotd:  For years my go to shoe was Asics Gel Lyte, but either they changed the last or my feet changed, because they started to be too narrow..  Now I wear Saucony Ride and Brooks Glycerin.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Gatsby-- have you been following the weather in northern AZ? I'm guessing Monument Valley might be missing a lot of the snow and wind, or at least in a week will be improved. DS is in Flagstaff and they are calling for up to two feet of snow.

Ha, yes, just noticed yesterday that there’s a fair amount of snow there. Not sure what I’ve gotten myself into…