Trailer Trash

West Wing Weekender (Read 16 times)

LB2

Easy 4 this morning in a light drizzle. We have a "cold front" pushing through later today. It should take the highs down to the low 90's. I better break out the puffy jacket for this cold snap.

QOTD: When does your area normally get the last frost of winter and the first frost of fall? And do you prefer running in the bitter cold or the oppressive heat?

We may get a frost as last as mid-April. I would say that is fairly common but not necessarily normal. I think the first fall frost would be sometime in November, but we do have some decent weather starting in mid-October. Early October is about like September, which is about like August, which is about like the deepest depths of Hell.

I like running when it gets cold. I have never really had a problem getting hypothermic at night in races. And I have run in some pretty cold stuff. I see people, many who are moving much more swiftly than me, succumb to the cold (Maybe I have enough fat to make up for the slower pace...). I am not saying that I won't have a bad reaction to cold temps, but so far, I have been fortunate. I'll take the cold over the heat any day of the week.

LB2

runtraildc

Hilly 6 with the running group this morning. I picked the route, so we ran into Rock Creek, but stayed on the roads (closed to traffic). The creek was roaring and we would have torn up the muddy trails (if someone didn't slip into the creek and get washed away). We must have gotten several inches of rain yesterday, after a week of wet weather and more to come.

qotd: Much prefer the colder weather. but was is 'cold'? for me, that's single digits or lower, unless it's windy, then the teens count too. Our late frost is usually mid-April, but can be in May. Then late October to Thanksgiving for first frost. Oh, I really like fall here in DC. cannot wait.

Daydreamer1

Spending a fun filled 24 hours at work. So far it's been a bunch of running too and fro so it could get interesting yet.

QOTD: Our last frost could come as late as the 3rd week in May but that is very uncommon.  Typically we can plant all but the most tender plants by the 1st week in May and avoid a killing frost.  The first frost can come in early October but that is either just a light one or if it's a killing frost it's rare to have it that early. Usually the first killing frost is the end of October or the beginning of Nov. The thing is that we can have a killing frost and by noon time the temps can be in the 50s-60s and the following days can get very warm. Just depends on were the weather pattern is blowing the weather in from.

Bitter cold or oppressive heat, eh??????  When it's hot we always want cold, when it's cold we want it hot, don't we .

After some fairly deep thought I must go with the heat.  The fact that it bothers me and I can melt down in it is a factor. But, if it's really hot and I'm on the trails in this area and overheat I can always cool off in a stream. In the winter time if I go way into the woods and fall and injure myself then I have to worry about freezing. So if it comes down to running when the temp is 85+ or <35 I'll take the 85+.  I rarely limit my mileage or route due to the heat but I will do so for the cold.

AT-runner

Tim

2.5 on the road before I went to a funeral.  We had 4" of rain yesterday, so I didn't go to the trails like I wanted. No sharp knee pain, but can still feel it's healing (not even an ache, just "weird" feeling at times). Ortho says OK to run with soreness but stop if sharp pain. So far so good.

QOTD:  Cool to cold weather for me. I have no problem running all bundled up. First frost is usually late September to early October, and last frost is late April or early May. We're usually about 2- 3 weeks ahead of the Washington DC area colors.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

AT, hope that knee keeps getting better!

5.3 miles last night on the rail trail in a refreshing rain!

QOTD  Give me cold weather any day over this hot stuff! Usually frost is from  beginning of October until the end of April in  Central PA.  The old wives tale is to never plant until after Mother's Day to avoid frost.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I finally got a decent run in this morning, 10 trail miles. It wasn't

till about the 6-7 mile mark that I started feeling like I was in the

groove, if that makes any sense.

QOTD: After running in bitter cold for a few weeks I start thinking

how great it is to run in the heat of summer, then after a few weeks

of the heat, humidity and bugs I start dreamily thinking of how great

winter running is. I prefer the consistent weather of northern CA, no

bitter cold, low humidity, no snow, ice, bugs....

10.6 miles.  Took my new running watch out for a spin... so far, the start and stop functions seem to be working great.  Maybe I should peek at the user manual to see what else this baby can do...

QOTD: Frost?  See jonferg's comments about NorCal weather.  I'm on the coast and frost is a rare thing at my house.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

7 miles expecting to be rained on at any minute, but the rains never came.

qotd: last frost date April 20th, first frost date October 18th at 50% probability. I'd rather suffer under the heat of summer even though I really struggle with it. Even layering with appropriate winter wear it seems to take hours after I finish to feel warm again when the temps and wind chill get into the low 20s or below.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

NorthernHarrier

Lazy day around here for me. Just finished a nap which for me is rare but once in awhile is pretty nice. Once I am able to shake the grogginess out I'll do some road miles from here. Did spend the morning scrubbing my docks as we for the first time ever have a goose family on the lake. Nasty. I have two docks about 400' from each other along with a lot of undeveloped frontage and I guess it just looks too appealing. I put up some whirly bird type things on each and I hope that helps discourage them. Did I say nasty?

QOTD-In northern WI we can have a frost here into the second week of May and our first frost can be the first week of September. Down in Madison we might not get that first frost until Oct 1st. Big difference in just 250 miles.

I think we'll all have different views on what is bitter cold/oppressive heat.  I don't find the temps bitter until about we start to get below -5F. I stop running at that temp but still prefer the real cold stuff over heat any day and my opinion stays the same in the winter too. I don't like the heat one bit.  Where is this perfect place of Northern California you speak of anyway? It sound pretty sweet. 

XtremeTaper

I guess 7 miles today at Nolde Forest today with the Lady on a pleasant almost fall like day. Low to mid 70's at most. Sort of an awful run, but I guess that's what happens when you have a meniscus tear. Knee was all whonky today so it was a jog at best, a slog or hike at worst. Nice day though.

I've been having some wild nutty running dreams this week. The typical stuff, but last night's took the cake. Out on a trail somewhere nearby, sort of an urban trail but single or double track with some steep hills. Spied a biker behind me but as I was climbing up this hill he dropped back and wasn't catching me. Then I came upon a trail juncture. I followed some sort of blue arrows and ended up in a long hallway, that ended in a wide open area, sort of like a lobby. More blue arrows pointed to the left. I was puzzled about the route and a receptionist told me it was the right way to go. I ended up inside a hospital, either in an operating room or recovery area. There were beds and typical hospital stuff strewn about, plus some nurses or practitioners. I asked them surely this is not the way the trail goes as why would they want a sweaty trail runner and his dog to run through the OR. They told me it was fine, that I was going the right way. I think I made it through there and ended up back at the junction I was at earlier but the last part is kind of fuzzy. Guess I will stick with the plan and have the scope of the knee done on Aug 10.

QOTD: Typical to the other PA folks here... late April to early May on last frost, first frost usually not until mid to late October. As for heat vs cold, I prefer the heat. Now cold to me is 10 or below with wind chill. I don't mind teens or twenties at all, except when it's windy.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

5 mile hike into some falls with my DW, DGS and Tiny E- there is no trail, so it's no walk in the park.  The little alcove the falls sits is at least 25 degrees cooler than the surround ground- which on a hot day is very welcome 

qotd: I think most wait to plant until 1st of June and it's not overly uncommon to still be a little early, usually by late September we dip below freezing;  see my "why I hate summer thread" as far as when I like to run 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NHLA

12 miles today. Nice weather.  Humidity is down.

Qotd  April to October. I like to run from 27 to 85. Anything higher or lower can suck.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

We took out 10 pine trees over 100 feet tall and they have been sitting in the driveway fir about 6 months.  They finally got picked up but they couldn't take the bark.  So we had a pile about 30 feet long, 20 feet wide and 18 inches high.  So this morning we loaded it onto the car trailer and moved it out back.  Took about five hours..we drankd two beers, laid on the bed and passed out! 😀

Tomorrow is long run..20 ish.

Qotd:  Nor Cal no frost.  Snowed as kate as June once.

Warden:  Nice picture... that kid looks a bit like Grampa..same nose

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Gatsby probably has better weather than me..... it hotter than hell right now... 90s and sunny.  Dry heT but still just heat!!

Where is this perfect place of Northern California you speak of anyway? It sound pretty sweet. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

Knocked out another 5 this morning. I may do something else later today, maybe a hike with the wife of about 4 miles, maybe 5.

LB2