Trailer Trash

Who is here? (Read 57 times)

RaiderGwen

I recently ran the SOB 50 miler in Ashland and plan on returning next year.  You close to there?  Sorry about the leg bummer!

That's my hometown, Ashland Oregon.  I've been all over Mt. Ashland this summer.  100's and 100's of miles, including my first 50 miler which was a training run.  Sigh...

Six weeks so far of staring at crutches and black boot...  Hope I'll be able to run when this is over.  Javelina Jundred is this weekend and all my peeps are there....  I was pretty sure I had the 100k in the bag and a good shot at finishing my first 100m.

"The best day is today, even if it's kind of a sucky day."  - Lazarus Lake

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I don't think it will ever be the same again.

That sucks, Birdwell.  I'm in the same boat and it's difficult to accept.  I'm still grieving about it.

Running is dumb.

RaiderGwen

I'm still around.

Still struggling with a Lisfranc fracture in my right foot. I don't think it will ever be the same again.

When I get out, I spend my time in the red rock canyons and mountains of Southern Utah.

(((birdwell)))

"The best day is today, even if it's kind of a sucky day."  - Lazarus Lake

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Still struggling with a Lisfranc fracture in my right foot. I don't think it will ever be the same again.

Patience, youngsters, patience. It might take a few years, but eventually it will probably heal up again.

Took an ankle of mine 1.5 years to heal up (and I was really young then), and a wrist more than 2 years (and I felt really old then , but they DID eventually get back to their original state.

I hope you'll all heal up again, too, just don't overdo things too soon, and give it time.

Run for fun.

I'm still around.

When I get out, I spend my time in the red rock canyons and mountains of Southern Utah.

Birdwell, sorry about the foot issue.  Hope you don't mind if I ask you about running in UT?  I'm looking at UltraAdventures Zion 50k for 2016... any thoughts, good or bad, about it or the RD?  I see it's just outside of the park, not actually in Zion, but looks fairly spectacular.  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Birdwell

Birdwell, sorry about the foot issue.  Hope you don't mind if I ask you about running in UT?  I'm looking at UltraAdventures Zion 50k for 2016... any thoughts, good or bad, about it or the RD?  I see it's just outside of the park, not actually in Zion, but looks fairly spectacular.  

Matt Gunn is a great person and he works very hard to put on outstanding events.

My daughter and I volunteered there for the last few years and plan on being there again next year.

I think it would be a great addition to any race calendar. The views are outstanding.

I have heard comments about the elevation gain and just the race elevation every year, especially from runners coming from sea level locations. There a lot of sneaky hills around 5000 feet or so (really everywhere) and the effects really build up after a while for some.

The top of Gooseberry can be tough on the feet if you're not ready for it. Lot's of slickrock sandstone.

I'm pretty sure Lace_up has run the race every year and he's got some great race reports for it on his slippingslowlyintopain.com website.

Occasional Runner

Matt is a really great guy and I love all his races. Zion is a staple in my diet of trail races and I would never miss it. If anybody wants to run any of his Grand Circle races, let me know before you register because I can get you a discount code.

Super, thanks for the Zion feedback.  Good to hear about a RD that actually cares about his events and the community.  Will talk it over with DH (he would do the HM).  Lace_up, will check out the RRs on your website too and PM you if we decide to pull the trigger.

Sorry for the momentary thread hijack, all...

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Uh oh... now what?

Hi Everyone...

That was fun to read through.  I dropped off most things, then resurfaced on Facebook.  I seldom have miles to report.  We only wear our watches to know what time to get back to the car.  I only went to one organized event in 2014; he first Great Olympic Adventure Trail Marathon over on the north end of the Olympic peninsula.  The prize for being the oldest finisher was a copy of my book... sigh.  I gave it to the first homeless person I saw.

I am sorry to see the voice of intimidation by conversations about ultramarathons still around.  I love running, no matter the venue [Razorback men and women just earned another SEC Cross Country Crown -- on to nationals].  I don't care about the distance; I'll talk running.

We had a nice road trip, north to Alaska, whales, grizzlies, moose, and so on a while back.  I'll post a picture or two if I can figure out how.

Fun to read about everyone again; the ups and downs.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

John! Good to see you here, too. I really miss you on RWOL but understand why you left. The ultra marathon forum does get some activity and we have some good people there, too.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

Nice to have you drop in John.  Thought about you several times recently and wondered how you were doing.  A road trip to Alaska!  I'm sure you had a good time.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hi John! 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Hi all!

Stacey here from Southcentral PA Smile

Came to see what, if anything, is going on over here.

I haven't been on this forum in many many months, maybe a year?

It's been two years since my hip injury. Just now feel back to myself.

Not sure I will ever run an ultra again but still out on the trails almost daily.

I've become a dog hoarder (rescuer & foster) since my injury and now spend my time running them all around the trails!

Great thread. Glad to see some familiar "faces"

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

hog4life

Mitch here, I live near Huntsville, Alabama.  I mostly lurk here lately, but will start posting more as we get into the winter(my trail running is about to pick up). I have my first 50k coming up in less than 2 weeks, and that's the first race in a 4 race series called The Huntsville Grand Slam(119.2 miles over 10 weeks, includes a three 50k's and a road marathon).

I have been steady over the summer, but all on the roads. I do lots of road races with Ainsley's Angels, and love seeing the kids smiles. This gives me some additional miles that can be easy, or challenging, depends how heavy the rider is.

I've lost 20 pounds since the first of the year, woohoo! I just hope I can keep it off. I'm an old geezer with hopefully 6-8 years till retirement. We got 3 boys that are all grown(or at least they think they are), and 3 grandsons. I am quite intrigued by the longer distances, at this upcoming Grand Slam attempt will set the tone for what I want to do in 2016. Hopefully I will stay healthy enough to keep running.

Daydreamer1

Welcome back Skeene and Hog. I was wondering what became of both of you.