Trailer Trash

Toking Tuesdays (Read 15 times)

LB2

No toking today, but I did run 2.3 miles. It seemed sluggish, but the first mile was 8:23, which is a lot quicker than it felt.

QOTD: Do you run with your dog?

Sometimes I do, but he is pretty lazy. If I am doing something super easy, I will often take him with me.

LB2

runtraildc

Morning. Still feeling some effects of this cold, so wogged about 4 miles this morning. The plan is to also get out again tonight for an easy 3 with the brewery group. We're in an incredible weather stretch. Dry, sunny and 70s. Wish it could be like this all the time.  Though we do have some haze from the canadian forest fires, I think.

qotd: Yesterday, occassionally. Though I'm wondering how your golfing partners game fared, XT?  Today's qotd, almost all the time. When Chowder was sick this winter, I found it really hard to run on my own. He doesn't run so much when it's too hot, clearly, but we manage even some summer running together

Hey, All - I'm back and survived my race.  It was hot, like expected.  We pulled our trailer over and stayed in Corning where it was HOT - mid 90's.  Up in Forest Ranch it hit the mid 80's on Saturday. There was nice patch of snow still on the course, so I stuffed my sports bra and ice bandana with snow both times I passed it, which helped.  But I haven't run in anything warmer than around 55 in at least 7 months, so it got to me and my stomach.  I stuck to my eating plan, a bit to my detriment, and around Mile 16 with a bloated gut that felt like it had a big solid blob in it, I made myself throw up.  Not much came up, but it took some of the bloat away.   After that, I ate little bits and just did continuous sipping.  At the 2nd to last/last AS (we hit that one twice) I drank some soda, which really helped get me through the last 5 miles.  About 2 miles before the finish, Ozzy Osborne's "Zombie Stomp" came on my iPod, and between keeping that on repeat and the sugar intake, I think I had my best miles of the whole race and made my B goal - just squeaking in under 9 hrs with 8:57:11.

I did my own 50k in late October 2021, but this was my first ultra race in 7 years. I'm pretty happy with the results 'cause I think without the heat I could've finished somewhere between 8.00 and 8.50.

Pot Question - I live in Humboldt County.  It's everywhere.  Even before it was legalized in CA, it was everywhere.

Bug QOTD: Not bug problems here except mosquitoes if someone has standing water on nearby property.  But bugs at the race - Grrr!! Until about mid afternoon, anytime you stopped, they swarmed and attacked.

Dog QOTD: No dogs, and I can't get my cats to agree to run with me.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

XtremeTaper

4 miles last night out at French Creek Park, Six Penny loop. So named for the spring fed stream that starts up in the hills. They have a sign out now, that it is a high quality stream that has natural wild brook trout, not seasonally stocked like most rivers around here, so please take care. It's a bit of an unknown section, several miles back from the main areas of the park but accessible from a small parking area for those in the know. Anyway, I had not run there in a few years, mostly because the combinations of rocks and steep hills are not kind to my knees but gave it a go last night. Figured I would just keep it slow and I had major success in that department. Without mentioning a time, I had a 6 mile loop with all of this same loop plus some more that I used to run faster than my time last night. It was nice though. So quiet out there, and the mountain laurels were in bloom. Embrace the slog!

Today, run after work. I tempted to do 5k on the road to shake out the slowness. Probably at the lake with Baker though.

QOTD: Yes, I've run with the dogs for most of my running years. Several springers and GSP's. Baker joins me on most every run.

Runtrail - Ha on the golfers. Did not notice much difference in their games before/after imbibing. In fact, the one guy may have played better, or perhaps he used creative stroke counting on the back 9.

Fattozig - Woohoo... congrats on the 50k finish! Sorry about the puking though but glad it helped.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

dhuffman63

Trails

Congratulations!  Heat is hard to deal with.

NorthernHarrier

Well we went from the black flies into a full blown mosquitoe hatch of biblical proportions. Tried running intervals on the trail this morning and DNF'd the workout after 4.5 miles. Just brutal. Did have a good sized coyote blast out of the brush across the trail right in front of me. At first I thought it might be a wolf until I could watch it's distinct running gait. Had planned to do some whitewater canoeing on my home river today but that will be a DNS. I'll just spray up, put on a headnet and work outside here.

QOTD--With all the Springers I've had for the most part only limited road running with only a very occasional trail run. When my dogs step into the field or woods there is a certain way they should cover ground,use their nose, seek out cover, follow scent etc. and I've always figured that trail running whether on or off lead would train them for a different behavior. I'll hike with them often and let them work cover the way it's supposed to be. Right now Augie is too young yet for running on black top so he just blast thru the woods chasing birds and bugs on our property. Pups have so much energy and are so fun.

In Wisconsin you cannot have dogs off lead on public lands from mid April until the end of August to protect ground nesting birds and their broods.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4 miles (800') with Tiny Elvis this morning; nice cool, overcast day! 

qotd: we're not running, but TE is on the trails with my daily 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I know a group of 3 guys heading up to Wisconsin tomorrow to hunt a few days. I think they will be mostly around the Sparta/LaCrosse area. I assume they will be hunting around Wildcat Ridge. I have spent some time on Ft. McCoy, but I haven't hunted there. I think they have a quota of birds that can be taken, and it has been filled. I will tell them to bring a Thermacell.

Well we went from the black flies into a full blown mosquitoe hatch of biblical proportions. Tried running intervals on the trail this morning and DNF'd the workout after 4.5 miles. Just brutal. Did have a good sized coyote blast out of the brush across the trail right in front of me. At first I thought it might be a wolf until I could watch it's distinct running gait. Had planned to do some whitewater canoeing on my home river today but that will be a DNS. I'll just spray up, put on a headnet and work outside here.

QOTD--With all the Springers I've had for the most part only limited road running with only a very occasional trail run. When my dogs step into the field or woods there is a certain way they should cover ground,use their nose, seek out cover, follow scent etc. and I've always figured that trail running whether on or off lead would train them for a different behavior. I'll hike with them often and let them work cover the way it's supposed to be. Right now Augie is too young yet for running on black top so he just blast thru the woods chasing birds and bugs on our property. Pups have so much energy and are so fun.

In Wisconsin you cannot have dogs off lead on public lands from mid April until the end of August to protect ground nesting birds and their broods.

LB2

Sandy-2

Ran 5 mi over the causeway to the gym and met my DW who was there. I then washed off did the hot tub / pool combo a few times.  We drove home together.

Nice job on the run fatozzig!! 

qotd: no dog here, who knows maybe that’ll change at some point.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Congrats fatozzig! 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

I know a group of 3 guys heading up to Wisconsin tomorrow to hunt a few days. I think they will be mostly around the Sparta/LaCrosse area. I assume they will be hunting around Wildcat Ridge. I have spent some time on Ft. McCoy, but I haven't hunted there. I think they have a quota of birds that can be taken, and it has been filled. I will tell them to bring a Thermacell.

Interesting. You might mean Wildcat mountain?  Don't laugh Warden  Ft.McCoy not real pretty in the sandy flats with jackpine but once you're down by Wildcat in the driftless area it is beautiful and full of butterballs. Back in the day I used to grouse hunt a lot east of Tomah in the peat bogs of Juneau county. Cranberry country. Let me know of their trip when done.

Adding--fatozzig, great job getting thru that. Tough as nails and a true survivor!

Fatozzig, woohoo!  That kind of heat would have sucked for sure.  Great job getting it done.

7 miles with hill repeats. Leaving tomorrow for Ireland. 

QOTD: no dog, just parrots, and they are not runners.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR