Trailer Trash

Morbid Monday. (Read 18 times)

LB2

I ran a little over an hour this morning. I'm having a bit of a time reigning things in. I talked for quite awhile with my wife about that yesterday when we were hiking around the house. I tend to push too hard early and burn out about a month before whatever event I am getting ready to do. On the other hand, I have a tendency to panic and think I am not doing enough. I have 130 days to Pinhoti and feel like I am way behind where I should be, even though I am probably right where I should be. My runs are going really well; I was very pleased with my little fitness test on Saturday.

QOTD: Do you specifically incorporate walking into your training?

Yes. I think it is a skill that must be practiced for longer events. Shorter stuff (50K or less), I think you can get away with just a focused effort on race day unless it is something that has an enormous amount of climbing. But in longer stuff, I have found that I am really beat up after a race if I don't put in some time hiking during training. It may be just me, but I think it is important because I am going to be walking in most events.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got up before the birds (4:00) to beat the heat- 52 degrees this morning, 92 this afternoon; 4.5 miles

qotd: sleep in and run in the heat, get up before dark to run in the cool?- easy choice for me 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

I want to know why it's morbid today.  Or is that every Monday?

Another no run weekend for me. But I did get out this morning and ran 5. Perfect weather- low 60s, no humidity, sunshine peaking through the forest canopy. Lovely morning for a run. And lucky for us, it's going to stick around for a few days.

qotds: Yes, but usually I'm walking because I'm being lazy. 2) Run that early in the morning that it's still dark? It's light out here by 5 am, and while I'm an early bird, that's too early for me.  This summer, I'm switching to am runs while DS has swim practice, so that means out the door after 5,  and onto the trails by 5:30 or 6 am. As I mentioned, today was perfect, but the humidity often is a bear. I do also do evening runs at dusk in the summer-- still really hot, but the humidity is lower.

LB2

1. It isn't morbid. That word just came to mind.

QOTD 2. It depends. Sometimes, I wait until it gets hot if I feel like I need some heat training.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yes every Monday is morbid.  No not really.  Got in 4.5 this morning.  It was a very pleasant 56 degrees - perfect for running.  It's almost halfway through the year and my daily running streak is still intact.  I am impressed with myself.  I was never an everyday runner.

Had a busy weekend.  I did not pay attention to WSER at all.  DW and I got away for half the weekend.  We went indoor sky diving.  Yes that is a think.  It was a blast! Then yesterday we took the kids to a creek to play in.  They loved it.  We may take them to Pine Grove Furnace here soon for a hike and a dip in the cold lake water (and maybe I can sneak off for a short run )

QOTD: I have not intentionally done so but I plan to once I go all in on a hundred.  Someday.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So Morbid Monday instead of Merry Monday. I'll see which is more apt after my run today.

qotd: walking is an integral part of my training. I need to walk many of the hills on the trail races, and for the fixed time races including walking breaks is the only way I'll last the entire time.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

Morbid Monday??? Hmmmmm.......... In one way it is because I'm working, at the same time I hope it doesn't end up too morbid.  Darn it I hope I don't end up with a bunch of dead people today .

Anyway, no running today. Maybe a few short walks around the parking lot. Didn't do any real running over the weekend, just biking.  Maybe for the best because my feet and ankles feel pretty good today.

QOTD:  I have been the past two years. Last year it was easy because for some reason my legs didn't want to be pushed. This year my legs seem to want to run, so on anything under 7-9 miles I have to discipline myself to walk.  My last run was 20 miles and I think I took 14 walk breaks. I'd run 1- 1 1/2 miles then walk about a tenth. Doing that I was able to average about  10:30 miles.  Planning on using something along the same lines for my 12 hour race in a month.

AT-runner

Tim

Usually a SRD, but I'm running at lunch since weather is too nice to pass up. Plus maybe no run tomorrow, since I have to drive my mother to York tomorrow for eye surgery.

WS - Sorry Jim W didn't pull it off.  If he was chasing the record vs chasing the win, it's probably what hurt him with the heat.

QOTD:  1) Yes. I train to walk briskly and with purpose. It has served me well.  I know what you mean about shorter races, and I started doing in earnest 6 years ago for 24hr events. Before that, I walked, but never really trained to walk fast.

2) Beat the heat. I can sleep in AC later.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

qotd1: I don't, but should. I tend to run everything training (albeit some of the steep stuff is mighty slow), but come race day that isn't going to happen.

You can see a pattern for me- knows he needs to train in the heat, but doesn't; knows he should do some speed work, but doesn't; should incorporate some dedicated walk training in, but ..,,,,,, 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

My plan was to call in late for work and do a long run but I am still without a car.  The f&cking place that repaired it continues to be a problem.  Ok no radiator fluid so I blew the heads... they put in new heads and radiator.  I drive car for about 3 weeks and then check radiator fluid and overflow is almost empty!   I take it back to them and they say the water pump is leaking.  Replace that, week later still leaking, they re-do, week later still leaking they redo...week later still leaking...they saw no it's not it's now the radiator hoses...hmmm at this point husband steps in and says he will replace hoses only to discover they put the wrong radiator fluid in  now must call them and demand they flush the motor and fill with correct radiator fluid!!!!

I worked the aid station and Walsmsley came through long before anyone.  You barely stayed more than a minute so no idea how he was doing or feeling at that point. Drop out rate was very high...I think 141.  They had snow at the beginning and the snow meet mud..one guys said it was going up to his knees  but yet no one seemed muddy; maybe they went through a stream.

QOTD:  Not on purpose.for LB's QOTD and Wardens:  Get up

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I think he should have forgot the record and just go for the win.  I think he wold have had that. 

WS - Sorry Jim W didn't pull it off.  If he was chasing the record vs chasing the win, it's probably what hurt him with the heat.

LB2

I think he should have forgot the record and just go for the win.  I think he wold have had that. 

I agree. I don't think he was concerned about anything other than the course record. In my opinion, he should have secured the win and hope for better conditions next year. I am sure he can get another golden ticket, but I guess he made a decision and stuck with it, regardless. I have often wondered what those guys think about when they are running out front and below CR pace. Do I run fast enough to win or do I try to break the course record? I have no idea, but I think most people try to run fast enough to win and the CR is a bonus that may be considered somewhere after mile 75 or so. He was shooting for the course record from the start.

LB2

muppy

5.2 trail miles.

QOTD I don't specifically walk for training but I walk a lot with my jobs. I mow  a large putting green 3 to 4 times a week and that is 2.7 miles of walking at about 17 minute miles each time.  I probably walk another 15 to 20 miles doing landscaping and regular mowing a week.

Daydreamer1

My plan was to call in late for work and do a long run but I am still without a car.  The f&cking place that repaired it continues to be a problem.  Ok no radiator fluid so I blew the heads... they put in new heads and radiator.  I drive car for about 3 weeks and then check radiator fluid and overflow is almost empty!   I take it back to them and they say the water pump is leaking.  Replace that, week later still leaking, they re-do, week later still leaking they redo...week later still leaking...they saw no it's not it's now the radiator hoses...hmmm at this point husband steps in and says he will replace hoses only to discover they put the wrong radiator fluid in  now must call them and demand they flush the motor and fill with correct radiator fluid!!!!

That's just ridiculous . Drop it off at my place and I guarantee that I'll do better. Of course you'll have to wait 'til I get the steering rack back into my BMW.  Hope they're not charging you for all of this.

Took me awhile to figure out what the QOTD2 was . Some days I'm just a little slow .

I'll take sleep first and heat exhaustion/stroke later.  I will wait until later in the afternoon or evening to run if the heat is too much.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Good news...my husband went to the dealer and they confirmed that the correct fluid was put in there.  I read all about it.  Seems there is HOAT and OAT and if you mix the two together you get sludge.  HOAT is orange and so is OAT so they put dye in it to be purple but still has that orange look.  Our guy put a pink in there.  The dealership said the HOAT can also be pink (wtf).  They then said don't worry if it's wrong we will plush it.

That's just ridiculous . Drop it off at my place and I guarantee that I'll do better. Of course you'll have to wait 'til I get the steering rack back into my BMW.  Hope they're not charging you for all of this.