Trailer Trash

Running? Monday (Read 32 times)

runtraildc

Good morning, trailers!  I'm not running today and haven't run for over a week to let the upper hamstring (aka butt) heal.   Been cross training (elliptical, weights, walking) every day, and I will probably wait another week or so before I test it out again.  Or maybe tomorrow.  My patience ebbs and flows.  Friday was the 'I'm ready to strangle someone' day, but I've recovered somewhat from that.  For the time being, at least.

Anyone else not really posting because you're not running much or at all for whatever reason?  Drop in and say 'hello'!

qotd:  What has been your worst running-related injury?  For me, this is it-- what I've gathered without seeing a doctor (not that bad), it's high hamstring tendonapathy (or related to the upper hamstring tendon).    And actually, after 30+ years of running, this is my first 'injury' (though I'm still hesitant to call it an injury because whatever it is, it's mild because I think I stopped running before it progressed).

DigDug2

7 on the roads/rail trail this morning.  Still loving the cool June running weather.

DC:  good luck with the hamstring - sounds like you're staying in shape, which makes a big difference physically and mentally when you start back up.

QOTD:  my recent Achilles issues are the only injuries that have sidelined me for an extended period of time – all of my other injuries have been either temporary niggles (like IT band pain) or fall-related (cracked ribs) that didn’t really keep me from running.

Mini RR from my 3000m race on Saturday:  My attempts to recruit a crew and pacers fell through, so I had to run it completely unsupported.  The race was a loop repeated 7.5 times, so my strategy was to spend the first couple of loops getting familiar with the course, keep a steady pace through 4 loops and then see how I felt.  After a couple of loops I started getting comfortable – straight, left at the pole vaulters, straight, left at the high jumpers, straight, left at the pole vaulters, and so on.  The trails were pretty tame, more octuple track than single track, with very little in the way of elevation change or technical footing (although I did almost slip on someone’s discarded hip number).  After 4 loops I was on pace at about 5:30 and feeling pretty good – I thought about switching out my hydration pack but decided against it since I wasn’t wearing one.  I had to dig deep the last few loops – there was a section midway through each loop they called “the backstretch” that was a little lonely and made me go to my inner place of strength, but then the high jumpers came into sight with some welcome cheers.  Anyway, I finished strong, beat my goal and met a few good local runners.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I think I may run later tonight...just a few miles.  We'll see though.

DC - sorry for "injury".  I totally understand the emotional frustration of nagging injuries.  It can play some sick mind games.

DigDug - nice description.  Way to make it 'trail" like

QOTD: As I have posted many times and people are probably sick of hearing it but since it is the qotd  - I have been battling a nagging set of injuries going on 20 months now.  It started with pain in my inner legs, affected my knee after my last race (Stone Mill 50 in Nov '13).  The knee wasn't really the issue (ruled out after x-rays and MRI) but it seemed to be affected by a strained adductor.  Went through PT and then saw a chiro (due lower back issues being triggered while in PT).  Long story story short(er), my adductor has very slowly been healing.  I am still not 100%.  I had myself convinced for a while it may have been a hip issue (and that is not ruled out) but I have been stubborn about pursuing that further.  I am running and ramping up slowly.  The key will be once I hit up into the 5+ hour range for LRs.

Although I have hit a new theory recently.  When I first started experiencing this adductor/groin pain, it was around Oct '13.  That correlates with the time period I had picked up a stationary bike for home to supplement the running.  I did not ride a lot but some.  I wonder if that triggered something.  Just a theory...

Edit: almost forgot that this was all on the tail end of a year and a half bout with foot issues...

I had thought about giving up the running many times in the last 20 months. (edit: 3 years) Good thing I am stubborn! 

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

Spent the weekend down at Bryce Canyon. We camped, hiked, played with the dogs and I ran a 50k. It was a great weekend. I should have a race report finished up this afternoon.

As for today, I logged 12 miles and some time in the gym. This will be my last hard training week before Western States.

QOTD: I got Bursitis in my right hip back in 2010 and it laid me out for 6 weeks. Aside from that, I've only had very temporary injuries.

AT-runner

Tim

Taking it easy today.  Worked a lot over the weekend on a 3 Seasons room off the back that is replacing an old tired deck. My back is shot after finishing the flooring.

DC - hope you heal up quickly.

Mr Jamie - You were injured. We never knew .  Glad you finally grew up, by the way, but it should be MR, as in MR Ducks.

DD2 - Best RR in a while.  Any wildlife on the course?  Did you take 1/10th of a "S" Cap every 2 laps or just wing it?  Those white lines can be tough to follow, did anyone get off course?

Lace - Bryce looks beautiful.  One of these days I'll get back to Utah.

QOTD:  Tore my right knee meniscus a few years back when I slipped on ice during a 50k.  Ran until I had the surgery and ran 10 days later, so not a long recovery. I was lucky.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

some call me Tim

Scheduled yoga day here. If it stops raining long enough, I'll set up the slackline in the yard(once it's up it generally stays that way till fall). I'm not much for tricks, but my ability to stay on my feet on technical trails last season was greatly improved and I'll give a hefty amount of credit to time spent on the line.

qotd: I had some achilles tendinopathy last year, complete with disturbing creaking sounds, but once I made up my mind to work on it rather than rest, it got better within about a month.  DC, that you are staying active I think is big, and not just because it's good for your head. I haven't had anything that really stuck around very long and will tell anyone willing to listen how important I think soft tissue work is in staying healthy and resolving the problems that inevitably crop up. I have now had a dozen or so magical-seeming experiences where I was able to clear something up with a few days of targeted mobility work - it's especially great when you're resolving someone else's issue. It can't cure everything and sometimes you *do* need a doc or pt, but a lot of the time I've found that people just don't realize what self-maintenance they can do.

XtremeTaper

The plan is to run a few miles this evening with the Lady. Forgot to run yesterday. Actually did not forget but after an afternoon of pulling weeds and trimming plants decided a cold beer (or two, or three) was a better call. Watching the forecast heat up this weekend for LH. I guess my last race in the heat too down in FL and that one went ok.

QOTD: Meniscus tears. The one on the left knee was especially bad and painful. I was in denial for a few months, taking a week off here and there, running again with the pain always returning. Finally after 4 months of this got a diagnosis. I kept running a bit up to the surgery date but they were slow short shuffles just to get the dogs out. Total downtime from running was 18 days, but it was about 6 weeks before I felt sort of normal.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Dropping in to say hi!  I'm still not running much due to the foot thing, but I managed a really nice short trail run at Wildcat Mountain State Park this weekend before we went canoeing in the afternoon.

QOTD: Torn labrum/femoral acetabular impingement, of course.  2 years of injury, surgery, 5 months off running, 8 months of physical therapy, and I'll never really be back to normal.  Damn genetics.  What do I win?! 

Running is dumb.

Daydreamer1

DW just got home from having cataract surgery. Has another one scheduled in two weeks. I didn't get off work until 8 am which was when she was scheduled to be there so DS drove for her. Things went well.  I might take a short nap then go for a 6-7 mile run. DS says he's going to go along, but he often bails out at the last minute so we'll see how that goes today.

DD2 - Great report. Sounds like it may have been a tightly contested race. That discarded hip number might just have made the other guy aerodynamic enough that he saved a few nanoseconds.

QOTD: Ankle injuries. I've rolled both sides very badly and multiple times each. I think the right one has been the most and the worst, although I'm pretty sure I've had avulsion fractures in both of them. It's happened on roads as well as on trails, with maximal and more minimal shoes. I simply have loose, weak ankles. I was on crutches once, and in a walking boot once, although that was work related. On top of that I tend to get tendonitis. Often not really bad, but enough to cause discomfort, so any ankle injury is somewhat slow to heal. I'm still dealing with discomfort in my right ankle from last August's injury.   I did have a hamstring injury several years ago that I just ran through. It really only bothered me a lot when running uphill, but I was able to change my gait enough to still run the hills.  If I really waited until I was pain free to  run, I probably never would run or only occasional short runs.

I don't think I'll ever run another real trail race without ankle braces.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ran 23 miles Sunday.  I am going to call it hit training.  It was 90 degrees out.  At least most of it is shaded.  It's a nice trail that runs along a lake although due to a shortage of water the lake is way below you.  So while we were dying of heat we could see and hear all the boaters enjoying themselves.    I also ran into a MT Biker who stopped, jumped off his bike and held it in from of himself and yelled "Get your F*cking Dog! Twice.  What a prick.  So I told him he is on a leash (we are still 20 yards away).  He than said he was bit by a dog and I was ready to go into ghetto mode when I replied calmly so have I but that's no reason to treat me that way.  His wife saw nothing but rode by me and said "Enjoy your day".  I hope you do too with that prick your with. 

So I joined a gym to get into better shape for my 50 miler/.  So this morning was walk the dogs and first gym workout.

QOTD:  I think I had plantar fasciitis once.  Lot of foot heel pain.  Shin splints a long time ago.  Nothing that serious that I actually went to a doctor for...  knock on wood. 

digdug:    good thing you got familiar with the trail..if you had gotten lost you wouldn't have PR.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Occasional Runner

So I joined a gym to get into better shape for my 50 miler/.  So this morning was walk the dogs and first gym workout.

Good for you. So many runners fail to see the importance of going to the gym. I hope you enjoy it.

slosh

No running for me today.  Probably walk a little and then have to mow the grass.  Legs are a little sore from pacing at Kettle.  Pacing went well.  My buddy ended up finishing in 22:48, a PR.  I was worried about him losing me but he was spent by the time I jumped in at mile 62.  He started out really quick.  He dug deep at the end and ran a fair amount of the final 5 miles.  So after I got him all set up after he finished, I checked my phone to see how some other friends were doing and one of them was exactly an hour behind Ryan so he was on the edge of going sub-24.  In my adrenaline pumped phase, I took off back out on the course, caught him with about 2 miles left.  He was running and would have made sub-24 without me but I wanted to be there for him just in case.  He finished in 23:48, another PR.  Awesome, awesome weekend!  I really enjoy pacing.

QOTD:  plantar fasciitis has been my worst injury.  It plagued me for a year but I didn't know what it was for 3 months and just kept running on it.  Took a long time to go away after that.  Now I'm smart enough to nip it in the bud when it rears its ugly head.

dpc3

Got in 4 humid miles (humid for the desert) with the devil dog this morning.

QOTD: Tibial plateau fracture and MCL sprain had me down and out for 4-5 months recently. Other then that just minor things here and there.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

OK our weather officially sucks, we're supposed to get into the 90's today, should be the 70's

Rode my bike to work, strength training this evening. Still a wee bit sore from Saturday race

qotd: fractured my heel last Spring was on a ten week hiatus

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Getting ready to head out and face almost instant death at 83 deg and 70% humidity. Planning on a few miles before collapsing, though.

DD2: Great RR, thanks for sharing. Glad you didn't get lost and could PR on such a challenging course. Congratulations!

Queen: Two thumbs up for your self-control and insightful thoughts!

QOTD: Broken elbow (humerus) after falling on ice. On a road. 2 days in just a sling, waiting for surgery, were very painful, then surgery and 4 weeks out, with 8.5 lbs cast. It healed up without any restrictions in the range of motion, which is unusual for a fracture like mine.

Run for fun.