Trailer Trash

Friday's Xtremes (Read 18 times)

XtremeTaper

Hey, I am back. Well not running obviously but not feeling too bad. Maybe a dog walk around the block today. Surgery seems to have gone fine other than the nurses at the center did not know how to stick an IV in. They missed 3 times, finally the anesthetist got it done on the first try. Brief discussion with the doc post-op he mentioned a good size tear some other stuff but I was still drowsy. Follow-up next week. Sat on my ass the rest of the day watching golf and World Championship track and field.

QOTD: Read about a fatality this week on Capitol Peak in CO. Some one fell going across the Knife's Edge.

Would you do a hike like this or does exposed heights give you the willies? What other xtreme activities have you done?

I would not attempt to hike across something like the knife's edge. Pretty sure I would freeze. I did get up on a 14k'r once in CO, but it was a pretty easy climb in terms of exposure. There was a rock scramble the last few hundred feet to the summit but no cliffs unless you veered 10-20 yards off the beaten path. Other xtreme activities was zip-lining in Costa Rica, SkyTrac Arenal. After 2 bunny lines at the top of the mountain the 3rd line was the real deal. I was zipping over a valley between hills 400-500 feet above the rain forest at 50mph with light rain and drizzle poking me in the face and no other sounds but the wind and a bit of hooting and hollering on my part.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

SRD. I set my clock to get up and run anyway, but I decided to stick with the program. I have been up early and slogging through the humidity all week. I was tired, and I feel totally refreshed after a good night's sleep. Tomorrow will be something short, if anything. And Sunday will be a long run, 4 hours or so.

XT: I hope you recover well and have the opportunity to get in enough training to make a go at Pinhoti. I know that may seem like a lot to wish for, but I hope it works out.

QOTD: I have bungee jumped, scuba, and done all the cool (and not cool) stuff that you would imagine someone in a cold weather unit would get to do in the Marines. And I have climbed a few peaks, but nothing that required an ice ax or crampons. And I have never tried a 14'er. I will next summer when we go out there, though. I know that I would not do Capitol Peak with my oldest daughter who lives in Colorado. I would be too concerned about her safety and how she would react if she saw me fall to my death. Alone, or with people I know who have some experience in the mountains, I might. But then again, I might not. If there was a turkey gobbling on the other side of it, I would definitely do it. Hahaha.

LB2

XtremeTaper

LB - We did Mt Bierstadt as our 14k'r. Pretty simple climb starting around 11,000 feet. 7+ miles roundtrip? Picture of the last section here (scroll back/forth for other photos of mountain)

Figure to wait until late September on Pinhoti decision. I do have several near 60 miles runs this year, but maybe not enough time to get ready. If I had the procedure done a month ago I'd feel better about my chances. I will remain optimistic until then.

AT-runner

Tim

XT - good news, and hope for a speedy recovery. You'll probably be back faster than I will.  I wish my problem was surgically improvable, but it's not.

NH - good news on Cloe.

No run today.  I plan on easy trail run tomorrow with DW.  Heading out to hear some live music tonight, and might catch a set DD#2 is doing. She's not sure what time she goes on for this fundraiser, and we hear her all the time, so if we miss this one, sh'e ok with it.

QOTD:  Hell yea, I'd run that ridge!  I love doing things that push the limit.  Bungee, hang gliding, skiing in the treeline (with helmet), 70 mph on a jet ski, etc. . DW and I ran a pretty sketchy trail in the Tetons a few years back.  Thin trail with rocks on one side and drop on the other.  Running the GC could be sketchy if you look down.  I've always been a daredevil, and DS is one now.  Some of the stuff he does on a snowboard and when he did BMX biking used to make me jealous  When the kids switched to snow boarding I bought a pair of ski blades so i could go into he park.  Those things were dangerous as hell but also the most fun I've had on the slopes.  I could follow my son when he was flipping and then DW would ask how it was, and we'd just say "fine".  It was years before she knew the stuff he was doing.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Morning folks. No run for me today, but will get out for a walk later. Maybe the gym, too, for some strength work.

qotd: Nope, would not even crawl that ridge. I'm a risk taker, but not an adrenaline-based risk taker. And heights give me the willies that I can get over if I want to-- ziplining, climbing, ok. Base jumping, no.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I ran 5 with the morning group of which I host.  Jackie was lagging and it was cool out so thinking Maybe he and NH can go on a diet together. 😉

Qotd:  i don't lije exposed heights but I don't think that woukd stop me from doing it.  I climbed half dome.  Other dare devil shit..hmm not much. I've rode dirt bikes, quads, snowboard... but stay within what I could do.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

AT - I don't think you'd run the knife edge ridge. See video. More like shimmy across with the knife of the ridge cutting into your private parts. Ouch.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

XT- here's to a speedy recovery!

some light strength training this morning, otherwise a SRD- travel to Bozeman for the Bridger Ridge Run this evening

qotd: I'm not an adrenaline junky, but the places I like to go I think most people would consider very sketchy 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

XT, here's to a speedy recovery!!!  Hope the doc gives you the green light to start running and the knee cooperates.

Today is a SRD for me.

qotd: I'd be creeping or crawling along really slowly, but yeah I'd probably do it.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

I was trying to make a joke, but then again, you haven't seen my running speed lately which closely resembles the video. 

AT - I don't think you'd run the knife edge ridge. See video. More like shimmy across with the knife of the ridge cutting into your private parts. Ouch.

Daydreamer1

Took a nice walk in the woods. Went out to check on the deer stand area and put down some more minerals for the deer.  Walked into a whole bunch of spider webs. Big spiders too.  Planning on 5-7 miles later if I'm not too sore. Pushed hard on the bike, did some walking lunges and have been running the chainsaw and weed wacker. Made my legs really sore.

QOTD:  If that is as precarious as the video looks I might not do it unless it was the only way to bag that 14er and it was my goal to get them all.  I can get a little extreme at times but definitely  know my limits. There are some things I just don't have the balance for so you will never see me doing tricks on a ATV. At the same time I have been four wheeling in a pick up where we had to turn around and could only keep three wheels on the ground with one hanging over a ledge .  Top speed on a bike is 58.5 MPH on a dirt road. I'd go faster if I had a hill that I could build up more speed.

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD:  If that is as precarious as the video looks I might not do it unless it was the only way to bag that 14er and it was my goal to get them all.  I can get a little extreme at times but definitely  know my limits. There are some things I just don't have the balance for so you will never see me doing tricks on a ATV. At the same time I have been four wheeling in a pick up where we had to turn around and could only keep three wheels on the ground with one hanging over a ledge .  Top speed on a bike is 58.5 MPH on a dirt road. I'd go faster if I had a hill that I could build up more speed.

It's on the list, just slightly taller than Pikes Peak.

I never even considered this until after running Pikes Peak.  A few people at dinner had done most of the 14'ers and were attempting them all. Sounds like there biggest obstacle for them was getting time off work and then the travel logistics.  It peaked my interest, but I'd almost have to move to CO to get it done, and that's not happening anytime soon.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

the thing is, if you do Nolan's 14'ers you don't need much time off 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

LB - We did Mt Bierstadt as our 14k'r. Pretty simple climb starting around 11,000 feet. 7+ miles roundtrip? Picture of the last section here (scroll back/forth for other photos of mountain)

Figure to wait until late September on Pinhoti decision. I do have several near 60 miles runs this year, but maybe not enough time to get ready. If I had the procedure done a month ago I'd feel better about my chances. I will remain optimistic until then.

My daughter did Bierstadt a couple of weeks ago, and that is likely the one we will do when I am back out there next year.

I hope it all works out. It is a fun run/hike.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Just 60 hours, right? 

the thing is, if you do Nolan's 14'ers you don't need much time off