Trailer Trash

Another Wet Weekender (Read 16 times)

LB2

Catastrophic storms last night that were not as catastrophic as described. I am so sick of everything defaulting to the worst possible scenario. Anyway, I was going to run this morning, but the woods were a little too damp for my liking. I slept instead. I may go out and try to get set up for a decent turkey hunt in the morning. I still have one tag, but I normally try to only fill one per year. However, I can't find anyone who wants to go and have me do the calling. Normally, I don't have enough days in the season to handle those requests and try to fill one of my tags. It has been a tough season; they aren't really gobbling much at all on the places I have been.

QOTD: Any summer vacation plans?

My wife and kids are going to the beach in June, Seaside, Florida. It is a girl's trip, so this boy will stay home and run/work/fish/sleep. I may not fish, but I will do the rest of those things.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

Rainy day here, hoping it lets up a tad as I was gonna head up to do a section of the North Country trail in the U.P. May have to revise the plan as it can be a sucky trail if its real wet. We shall see, I guess. Otherwise there will be more wood to split, etc.

LB--Seaside is in the general area that DW and I go every year. I run the trails of Point Washington state forest, Grayton Beach, and Topsail.  Camp at Henderson in Destin and gain weight at all the seafood restaurants.  The beaches of the emerald coast are pretty sweet. Gotta have that 30A bumper sticker. 

QOTD--forgot to add--Mostly staying here which is where half the country comes to vacation it seems. I will go out towards the end of July for two weeks in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Tiny Elvis and I beat the rain here (snow in the mountains) this morning and got 6 miles in.  Our snowpack most of the winter was hovering between 95 and 105% of normal (most of the state for that matter); we had a very dry March (bordering on record dry) and the snowpack dropped into the 80-ish% range.  We have had several smaller snow storms thus far in April and the snowpack has bounced back to 102% Smile

qotd: some backpacking trips, all relatively close by.  I think we'll rent that mountain cabin that we rented this winter sometime in the summer, probably bring the grandkids in.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Warden, LB, Harrier -- jealous of your precipitation!  I think we're at around 50% of normal.    But in a rare bit of good news, there's rain in the forecast for tomorrow.  I hope it pours!

24 miles today.  Went exploring up higher on the hills behind where I live.  A lot of it is owned by the GG National Recreation Area and open to the public.  But at some point, the property becomes off limits (some privately owned, some closed because it's under watershed management, not GGNRA.  However, GGNRA maps only show the lower trails.  I know the watershed property is fenced off, and I did see their signs on a gate down a spur trail, so I turned around.  Otherwise, I just kept going up and didn't see any signs, fences or gates, so I'm going to assume it's kosher to be up there.  

QOTD: no summer vacation plans per se, but I'm planning on meeting some friends for the Beaverhead race in ID in July.

Some pics of my exploring today.  Blue lupine are in bloom.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

11 miles this morning at Headwaters that sucked almost the entire time.  Not sure if there are residual affects of the 2nd vaccination shot going on, but Thursday's and today's runs were not ones for the books.  On top of that - I take a mild dose of high blood pressure med to help with a benign tremor.  Today is the first time I took the medicine before a run.  Woochie! That's the last time I'll do that!  Even though it's a very low dose, it can still make me lightheaded and that happened a few times today.

QOTD: I'll be volunteering at WS in June, sweeping Grasshopper Peaks in early June, doing my own 50k in July, and will volunteer at Mt. Lakes 100 in Sept.  Other than that, no summer plans.  We usually go on vacation in Sept or Oct, after all the families have gone back home. 

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sandy-2

Uuugh. Got a DNF today. Lots of things to unravel, but the main issues were heat, direct sun and no shade (3 thinks I really suck at).  In the end I couldn’t even keep water down, in DD’s horse parlance I was metabolic.  I did make it 3 loops (39.3 miles), but not the full double marathon.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Sandy- yeah those aren't ideal conditions; you made it a lot farther than I would have for certain!

4 miles with DW and TE this morning; another nice shot of moisture!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

LB--Seaside is in the general area that DW and I go every year. I run the trails of Point Washington state forest, Grayton Beach, and Topsail.  Camp at Henderson in Destin and gain weight at all the seafood restaurants.  The beaches of the emerald coast are pretty sweet. Gotta have that 30A bumper sticker.  

I cannot tell you how confounded I have been about the "30A" thing. I guess I could have googled it when I first started wondering about it, but I am never at a computer when I see those things. Now, I know. We had a nice drive up the coast on the way home from our hunting trip that started in Ocala and ended in the Cedar Key area. I enjoyed that trip more than I thought I would, and we may go back next year.

LB2