Trailer Trash

1221 Solstice Tuesdaily (Read 15 times)

XtremeTaper

A short 4 mile jog yesterday on the local trail. One of our regular loops at the lake planned for later. Grey chilly and calm out there right now. Rain later tonight they say?  Nearly knocked out a double digit run this past weekend but decided to cash it in around 9 miles as it was taking too long. Haha. Fun run though as Baker and I slogged through the hills at Nolde Forest. Had not been there in some time. Sort of a winter place for us for some reason.

QOTD: Rank the solstices in terms of best to worst.

Spring solstice. Spring is the best, more daylight is even better.

Summer solstice. It's hardly noticeable and still plenty of long warm days but  a feeling of shorter days is looming on the horizon.

Winter solstice. It's cold yes, but the corner is turning on the dark season.

Fall solstice. The dark season is nearly here. At least the weather is still decent.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

dhuffman63

Trails

Spring and Fall are equinoxes and not solstices.  So, at the end of the day, while solstices and equinoxes are related, they happen at different times of the year. Just remember that solstices are the longest and shortest days of the year, while equinoxes occur when the day and night are equally as long.

6 predawn miles in a very windy conditions with 6 x 20 sec hill sprints.  My legs are feeling very tired.  BUT! I beat the rain in, so it's a win.

QOTD: Like the summer 'cause I know it's leading into the fall, which I like.  Winter - It's just blah weather.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

LB2

Ended up walking about 2 miles through Walmart, Bass Pro, Tractor Supply, and various parking lots. Yeah. I am counting it. May run tomorrow, but I plan to hunt for a little bit first. I just plan to see if I can see the turkeys and watch them for a little while. I could honestly watch wild turkeys all day, everyday and never tire of it.

QOTD: I think I like the Winter solstice best. After that, it would have to be Spring. Fall would be next. Summer is last. I don't care for summer down here. It is really just too hot.

LB2

LB, all that time in your feet counts, for sure. 

I could have run before work, before this afternoon’s rain, but no. Sleep is a more precious commodity to me than running right now so I turned the alarm off.  And I’ll get wet when I do hill repeats after work. 

QOTD:  Of the four solstinoxes (see what I did there?), I’d say my favorite is when the days start getting shorter.  It’s like a signal that it’ll soon be time to pull back, relax, hibernate, chill.  With days getting longer again, it’s like there’s an expectation that it’s time to start doing more.  I’m not ready for that yet.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

runtraildc

Hi all. Didn't do anything yesterday and today's looking like a bust. Getting ready for the holidays and most of our gifts are made/food so been doing that. So far, I'm having issues with the smoker so not sure how the trout will end up. Ugh. I should have run instead.

qotd: I am indifferent to most of the equinoxes and solstices, but winter does make me happy that the days will begin to get longer. But ugh, the grayest days are still ahead. Maybe the spring equinox is best since the garden is starting to show.

Sandy-2

Taking a second SRD today, like runtrail, sleep was more important today.

qotd: Down here in Tx the summer solstice is the worst due to the heat leading up to it and the heat that will hang around for a while.  The others are all good.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Almost 5 sluggish miles...yet throughly enjoyable..first two were rather brisk ..need to create a new routine where I walk Jack, Ditch him and than run or vice versas. He is really only happy running almost  3.  

qotd:  I like what Gatsby said....love how the short days of fall tell you to slow down....but now I am looking forward to longer days.  I'm all about new beginnings...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

Oops. I guess I don't know my solstices from equinoxes, sort of penumbra conundrum. But you know what I mean.

Gatsby/Queenie - I get it on the slowdown part of the fall equinox, however when that hits here there is still so much to do but less daylight to do it! I'd day the swap back to standard time finally does it for me, though I hate it.

LB2 - That is sort of funny logging miles walked while holiday shopping. Mileage whore! Haha.

In dog beers, I've only had one.