Trailer Trash

The Critique of the Female Trail Runner - by Sandi (Read 25 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.trailsisters.net/blog/2016/6/13/the-critique-of-the-female-trail-runner

I haven't finished reading it yet, but I am already in agreement with the article/blog. 
    The sad thing is, if those women are considered fat... then I must be a whale. 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

AT-runner

Tim

I learned a long long time ago to never look at someones body and try to determine what kind of runner they were.  The ease and anonymity  in which someone can reply online to a picture makes negative comments sad yet inevitable.  I've never understood negativity, but I think it makes some people feel better about themselves if they can put someone down.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

I read this yesterday. John posted it on his FB page. Somebody said something to somebody about not understanding how she could go that fast carrying so much weight. She makes some good points, and I can't see anyplace in the article where I disagree with her. But at the same time I think, "I don't really have the time or energy to ponder the esteem issues of an elite trail runner." I think the appropriate response to the guy who asked about the weight thing would be to tell him "GFY, douchebag!!" and go on about your business. Sometimes you just have to let people have it, but I don't have social anxiety, either. So, it may be easier said than done.

LB2

LB2

I learned a long long time ago to never look at someones body and try to determine what kind of runner they were.  The ease and anonymity  in which someone can reply online to a picture makes negative comments sad yet inevitable.  I've never understood negativity, but I think it makes some people feel better about themselves if they can put someone down.

Yes. It does make them feel better about themselves.

And I can assure you that looks can be deceiving in running more than anywhere else. I have been absolutely smoked by some men and women who don't "look" very fast, but some of them are.

LB2

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I read this yesterday. John posted it on his FB page. Somebody said something to somebody about not understanding how she could go that fast carrying so much weight. She makes some good points, and I can't see anyplace in the article where I disagree with her. But at the same time I think, "I don't really have the time or energy to ponder the esteem issues of an elite trail runner." I think the appropriate response to the guy who asked about the weight thing would be to tell him "GFY, douchebag!!" and go on about your business. Sometimes you just have to let people have it, but I don't have social anxiety, either. So, it may be easier said than done.

Totally agree, but luckily nobody really notices me as I am a mid-packer ... or mid-pack runner, cause mid-packer just sounds dirty....could be my mind though.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I think this is great advice. 

I think the appropriate response to the guy who asked about the weight thing would be to tell him "GFY, douchebag!!" and go on about your business.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Women have always been judged on their looks regardless of what sport or profession they are in and we are too sensitive about it.  Fifty percent of the folks making negative comments are female...maybe when we start being nice to each other than the men will follow.   I do say that kind of stuff in my head (or to my friend)  but it is usually followed with a you go girl!  Dam if she can get it done than I have no excuse.  I actually admire them for not letting weight keep them from doing what they want.

PS>  I hope Anton continues running naked for the ladies!!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Women have always been judged on their looks regardless of what sport or profession they are in and we are too sensitive about it.  Fifty percent of the folks making negative comments are female...maybe when we start being nice to each other than the men will follow.   I do say that kind of stuff in my head (or to my friend)  but it is usually followed with a you go girl!  Dam if she can get it done than I have no excuse.  I actually admire them for not letting weight keep them from doing what they want.

Sometimes I really don't think complimenting the bully/ies is going to make them any nicer... back in school.... more than a decade ago, the female bullies were just outright bitches without any reason but taking pleasure in someone else's suffering. I knew a few on the RW forum and here, they mostly stuck to the L&O groups though, but I suppose they have lives because they disappeared....

I've just learned to grow thicker skin, and appreciate what running has given me and done for my body Smile

PRs

LB2

If that guy doesn't start wearing more clothes, he could be attacked by a cougar. He better be careful.

LB2

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If that guy doesn't start wearing more clothes, he could be attacked by a cougar. He better be careful.

You mean an older woman... or an animal? Because an animal might want something slower. 

PRs

Daydreamer1

Disclaimer and Alert: This post was put together rather fast while multitasking. It's purpose is to provide another point of view.  While not the most comprehensive work, it is certainly not just intended to be the short one liner or brief discussion that social media likes.  It is intended for more in depth conversation than some people may like.  It focuses on the weight issue.

Quite honestly I looked at that as just another social media rant, especially the part about running so fast at her weight.  The problem with social media is that it leads to people making comments that are hurtful, misguided, inappropriate or whatever and then the retort via the same social media are not very well thought out and just basically worthless rants.  Consider my point.

In 2012 we were at the north rim GC. We has just arrived as had quite a few other people. A girl in her late teens was running in the parking lot. Very slender, skinny, rail thin, hell just pipe cleaner thin (to the point she had no need of the sports bra she was wearing) she was racing back and forth. Her demeanor was that of a very focused runner. Making sure all body mechanics were proper etc. Parents wanted to get the younger kids supper but you could tell this irritated her. She wanted to RUN, RUN, RUN. It was easy to imagine the dinner time conversation.

Mom: Honey you need to try to eat just a little more of your vegetable soup.

Girl: MOOMMMMM. I gained a 1/8 of a ounce yesterday, I can't eat more, it'll slow down my running!!!!!!!

Mom: It's probably just some weight gain from starting your period.

Girl: Thinking to herself.  I better not tell mom I haven't had one in three months she'll flip and lecture me about being unhealthy.

Fast forward a couple of years and there was a post by a high school female runner in one of the other forums on here asking how to lose weight so she could run faster.  Think she had a BMI that was just at the border of being too low.  Most of us stressed eating and training right and NOT dropping weight. From what I could tell most of us responders were men.  I think she got the picture but have no idea what happened to that thread.

First. Is it possible that the man that asked this question knows someone who is killing them self with a eating disorder in order to run faster?  From the information provided in this blog it's impossible to tell.  Is it possible that he was looking for someone to hold forth to his own daughter as a role model and looking for training tips. I interview people all the time, sometimes I have to relay the results of that interview to a Physician. I have heard people say some really stupid sounding things that could be taken one way when they really meant something totally different, and that includes highly educated people.  One thing I have learned is to always try to figure out what someone is really saying/asking or meant to say/ask.  Considering that I work among everything from egotistical professionals to redneck country bumpkins to inner city trash, figuring out why they said/asked what they did, has kept me from getting into a lot of fights. I guess what I'm saying is this. People often have communication problems and inadvertently offend.

Now it is entirely possible that the man saying that was a jerk and was pissed because she had beaten a skinnier runner and that was his way of lashing out . In that case would it not be much better to turn that around on him and speak about healthy running and living. Speak about how having a little more strength aids endurance and balance. Speak about how having a proper amount of nutrients and fat in a female diet and on the frame leads to good long term mental and physical health.

Sure a long rant on a blog may sound good, but does it really contribute anything?  Like I've told my kids a million times over; don't bitch about something unless you have a plan to do something about it or have already tried.  And that's where I feel this blog went wrong, at least with the weight issue. It was just really another rant that very easily could have,  and should have, been turned into a tutorial on how to live a healthy life without letting others influence you  through mean or inadvertent remarks.

At the end the author says;  "I sure would have liked for that guy who asked Hillary, “How do you run so fast weighing so much?” to have been immediately confronted by 10 women."  What would that really accomplish? Well, maybe he might never say that again regardless of his intentions. But would it not be better to reply with a question such as, What makes you ask that?  That would have made him have to respond and who knows how that would have turned out.  (I do realize that at that point the runner was probably close to bonking so thinking of a reply like that would have been tough)

Remember the disclaimer/alert: This is intended for open conversation, not just stating a point and to hell with someone else's opinion, so feel free to discuss.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

"What would that really accomplish? Well, maybe he might never say that again regardless of his intentions. But would it not be better to reply with a question such as, What makes you ask that?  That would have made him have to respond and who knows how that would have turned out"

I agree...because I am always putting  my foot in my mouth.  I might say something like; "How to you run so fast being your size?" and I may have actually meant it as a compliment. 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Daydreamer...... my ADHD hates you    .... I have to say that I am quite proud of myself for reading that HUGE post. I think I worked up a sweat on that   I do agree, one never knows what another is thinking when they ask something or why they are asking.

PRs

LB2

Well, that was a well thought out response, Daydreamer. We definitely live in world of worthless commentary with social media. It has almost gotten to the point where Google makes one think of him or herself as an expert on every topic. It is a problem, and I don't see it getting any better.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Daydreamer...... my ADHD hates you    .

That's all right. my ADD understands .

Sometimes I wish I could have the hyperactivity with mine. I might get more done  other than running around trying to collect my scattered thoughts .