Trailer Trash

Oil Creek 100 Race Report (Read 25 times)

Keep Going

My first 100 miler could not have gone better, so I wrote a lengthy race report if any one is interested.

Oil Creek 100

Now I want to do MMT in the spring but I'm probably also going to jump in on Eastern States...maybe end with Grindstone. So many decisions.

100 milers are my favorite

LB2

Good job. Congratulations on getting it done. I don't think there is anything quite like a 100 miler. I think it is the perfect distance.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I have to say I love that picture of the forest with the fog coming through the trees.  If that is you in the picture, I would use that as your computer wallpaper.

Good job on being consistent - at least from the sounds of it.  I know the carnage of AS#2 that you spoke of - from the view of a pacer that sat and watched this for a few hours.  It's quite a sight.  I give lots of credit to the AS volunteers.  Not just anyone could work there.

Not sure if you are asking for opinions on MMT, ES or Grindstone but you'll probably get them anyway.  I am sure Couch will weigh in on that.  I think you should do MMT next but I really have no real rationale for suggesting that.  From reading RRs, I think it's the easier of the three but I have also heard differing opinions.

Congrats!

BTW: What type of trekking poles did you use?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Keep Going

Good job. Congratulations on getting it done. I don't think there is anything quite like a 100 miler. I think it is the perfect distance.

Thank you! Totally agree! It really is the sexy distance! Its now my favorite distance! I freakin loved it!

Keep Going

I have to say I love that picture of the forest with the fog coming through the trees.  If that is you in the picture, I would use that as your computer wallpaper.

Good job on being consistent - at least from the sounds of it.  I know the carnage of AS#2 that you spoke of - from the view of a pacer that sat and watched this for a few hours.  It's quite a sight.  I give lots of credit to the AS volunteers.  Not just anyone could work there.

Not sure if you are asking for opinions on MMT, ES or Grindstone but you'll probably get them anyway.  I am sure Couch will weigh in on that.  I think you should do MMT next but I really have no real rationale for suggesting that.  From reading RRs, I think it's the easier of the three but I have also heard differing opinions.

Congrats!

BTW: What type of trekking poles did you use?

Thanks Jamie! That's not me in the photo..that's my running buddy Kourtney. It is my FB wall photo however. Smile

Volunteers are so big man! So huge..

I guess I am kinda asking for opinions..I like to hear others thoughts. I want to do MMT but I'm definitely doing ES..

I think I used Black diamond but they were aluminum..I just ordered a pair of Leki Carbon Vario's..so stoked.

Daydreamer1

Congratulations.  Nice report.

some call me Tim

Right on! Great reading. I hope to follow in your footsteps in a year or two... just had a friend come back and sell me on the course. He went out with a couple guys, paced a friend that went barf-o-rama and finally had to DNF, and the other- well, the other is Daven and we just nod and say good job cause none of us can keep up with him.

The way you tell it, it sounds incredible... unreal in a way I have not contemplated for a long, long time. Thanks! I have a vision in my head now.

Keep Going

Congratulations.  Nice report.

Thanks Dreamer!

Keep Going

Right on! Great reading. I hope to follow in your footsteps in a year or two... just had a friend come back and sell me on the course. He went out with a couple guys, paced a friend that went barf-o-rama and finally had to DNF, and the other- well, the other is Daven and we just nod and say good job cause none of us can keep up with him.

The way you tell it, it sounds incredible... unreal in a way I have not contemplated for a long, long time. Thanks! I have a vision in my head now.

Thanks man! You should definitely take the plunge! It's definitely an endurance of the mind and not really an endurance of the body per se.

It's night and day from a 50k or 50 miler, in a good way. After much thought I think I figured out (for me anyway) why. The 100 miler forces you to utilize all that ultrarunning has taught you. You have to take what you learned in the previous distances and incorporate those lessons into the run. So for example if you get a blister at mile 26 of a 50k many times you blow it off (at least I do) cause you are almost done right? Or if you get hungry or worse bonk at mile 43 of a 50 miler sometimes you just say screw it and walk it in or blow it off and just slog thru. In a 100 I guess you could do those things but man it would be hell. You have to stop and fix the issues. And the whole running thru the night thing. It's such a mental thing and so cool to be doing it and know you are doing it. I don't know..only my first time but man what an amazing journey that I cannot wait to do again!

runtraildc

Congratulations on a great race!  and thanks for the interesting read and nice photos.

And brave move on the poles.  So glad it worked out well.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Thanks Jamie! That's not me in the photo..that's my running buddy Kourtney. It is my FB wall photo however. Smile

Volunteers are so big man! So huge..

I guess I am kinda asking for opinions..I like to hear others thoughts. I want to do MMT but I'm definitely doing ES..

I think I used Black diamond but they were aluminum..I just ordered a pair of Leki Carbon Vario's..so stoked.

Why not just do them all! In fact add another hundo and make it your own Grand Slam! (that seems to be the new thing nowadays)

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

NHLA

Congrats! Great 1st 100.  Looks like a beautiful day,

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, Bryan.  Can't believe you sat down in the chair-o-death so late in the race. That was brave move. Poles can make a  huge difference, I've used them a few times, mostly on long training runs to help with a bad back.

Good luck with the recovery.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

slosh

Congrats on your 1st 100!  That is awesome.  You only get one first so enjoy it.  I remember after my 1st, I had night sweats for 5 days and my feet were so swollen they looked like Fred Flinstone's feet.  Great RR too.  Thanks for sharing.

Keep Going

Congrats on your 1st 100!  That is awesome.  You only get one first so enjoy it.  I remember after my 1st, I had night sweats for 5 days and my feet were so swollen they looked like Fred Flinstone's feet.  Great RR too.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Slosh!! YES! I woke up drenched in sweat for the first several nights after the race! I had to change my shirt each time and I could not figure out why..I guess the body was going overtime to fix itself IDK... Smile