Trailer Trash

Discuss among Yourselves (Read 68 times)

dpc3

Today while out for an impromptu hike after my son's quasi-field trip to the local trails, I had a thought.

Among all the endurance sports, 100 mile runs, Century rides, Ironman distance Tri's, etc do you think if you solely trained for one event do you think that discipline could then turn around and finish one of the other events without training for it?

For instance I think conventional wisdom would suggest someone who trained for an Ironman would be able to complete a century ride but not a cycling event that was in stages or 100 mile run. I continue to go back and forth and wanted to see what you all thought. There is no right or wrong answer it's pure curiosity on my part.

Have a good day all!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My ass can only withstand a bicycle seat for approximately 45 miles.  At least that's the longest I've ever ridden.  It wasn't hard from an endurance standpoint, but I was just so tired of sitting!

I think an Ironman could do reasonably well at 50K-50M race without specific ultra training.  I have no desire to do an Ironman and can't swim worth a damn.  I've heard from people who complete Ironmans and run 100s say that running 100s is a lot harder.

Running is dumb.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I'm doing this on a smaller scale...

Farthest i've run is a 50k...in July I am signed up to do a 100k bike ride (I have about 5 miles biking experience since middle school).  From what I understand, the 100k bike ride is kind of the running equivalant of a 1/2 marathon (please correct me if I am wrong).

I think I could probably swim for a couple hours if I had to (no real swimming since high school).

Lance Armstrong did a marathon...I would bet my money that he could get through an "easier" 100 miler (if there is such a thing).  Probably would get hurt doing it though.

I think once you build up that endurance engine you can probably apply it to anything with minimal training.  Good question.  Forgive my disorganized thoughts.

**Ask me about streaking**

Snowdenrun

You can trail your ass off for a Century ride and still drown in an Ironman if your don't know how to swim. Smile

But seriously, I think it could be done. Considering a person is in good athletic shape and has damn good will power I think someone training for one event can complete another. May not get a great time, but I think finishing is definitely possible.

Snowdenrun

Jamezilla- I'd be interested in hearing how your bike ride turns out.

This is an interesting topic and I've often thought of it as well. If the opportunity randomly came up to do a "mini-tri" I'd jump on it, just to see if I could do it or not.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

How about the Crossfit guys that are competetive in 100 milers.

(sorry I couldn't resist)

Actually I was watching the Crossfit games on TV yesterday and those guys/gals were doing a mini triathlon (with varying results).

dpc3

Jamezilla did you see the cross-fit guy who ran a total of 6 miles but did cross-fit for a number of weeks then attempted to run a 100 miles, he stopped around 80 miles puking.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

That's a pretty impressive gain regardless.  I shouldn't have brought up crossfit, but I guess it's kind of the same as the original question.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I think an Ironman could probably run a 100-mile run, and someone who is in the shape of biking 150+ miles, or do bike tours over several days averaging 150+ miles per day, might be able to run 100 miles, too.

From what I "hear" (reading reports, blogs, etc. occasionally, and knowing athletes in the different fields), running 100 miles seems to be the hardest in terms of requiring willpower (monotonous movements) and knowledge about keeping up with the fueling needs.

Fueling on the bike is easier because biking does not upset the stomach as much. That said, dehydration may be higher on the bike because of the constant wind, making it tricky to keep up there, too. Swimming does not allow for much fueling - how about those people who swim across Lake Michigan, the British Channel, or some other very long distance? I don't think they can run 100 miles, but they still are great endurance athletes.

I did some tri training when I was young and found it easier than running longer distances, although the endurance requirements are probably the same, but the kind of physical exertion is very different.

Run for fun.

That's a pretty impressive gain regardless.  I shouldn't have brought up crossfit, but I guess it's kind of the same as the original question.

I think it's on topic....I wonder about that "crossfit endurance" program. I would never want to try it, but then again, I'm a big fan of long, slow distance, exactly what they abhor. I wonder what weekly mileage would work out to. I have a friend using the CFE program to train for her 3rd Ironman, and I'm interested to see how it turns out for her.

http://www.crossfitendurance.com/whatiscfe

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I disagree on the 150 mile bikers being able to run 100 miles.  No way.

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I am no expert on Crossfit, but I think it relies on the findings of some studies which say that if you exercise at a very high intensity for a short time, it enables you to go maybe 10 times as long on much lower intensity. The one study I have read found that people who trained on a bike for 6 minutes at maximum effort were able to run at moderate or slow speed for 55-60 minutes continuously. To me, that's still not "endurance", but it justifies the Crossfit program within those boundaries.

As far as I know, the factor 10 does not apply for longer intense training, so training at maximum intensity for 15 minutes (if you can keep it up for that duration) does not necessarily enable you to run for 150 minutes, as there are other factors that come into play, like how the body deals with re-fueling, or the heart's capacity to operate at, say 70% HRmax, for prolonged periods.

So it would certainly be interesting to see how Crossfit Endurance's claims come out in reality.

Mandy: I agree, although I am sure there are a handful of people who can do it nonetheless.

Run for fun.

My take is if you can finish a 100 miler you can do an Iron Man or Century Ride.

Reasoning:

If you have the endurance to finish a 100 miler you have the mental power and understand fueling/hydrating enough to finish an IronMan or Century Ride (granted you know how to swim/bike). You may not be competetive but you will damn sure finish.

There were 3 IronMan gentlemen that ran the 100 miler I did this past weekend. 2 out of 3 finished and they said prior to the race that they dedicated their training soley to running.

The skill set of endurance athletes would help anyone finish any event with some training but I think the 100 mile runner is the only one who could pick up and finish the other events without specific training for the event.

Daydreamer1

Farthest i've run is a 50k...in July I am signed up to do a 100k bike ride (I have about 5 miles biking experience since middle school).  From what I understand, the 100k bike ride is kind of the running equivalant of a 1/2 marathon (please correct me if I am wrong).

Prior to getting into the trail running I was doing a lot of biking. This included up to 5000 miles per year and several 65-80 mile rides a year. Overall I was in decent bike shape.  My first two trail runs were 3-5 miles and I jumped right into a 1/2 marathon distance. Other then some calf cramping descending the last hill at mile 12 I didn't do too bad and could have run again the next day. Last year after finishing a 26.5 mile trail run with lots of climbing, I switched back to the bike. At that time a 100k bike ride would have been doable, but very difficult. And I had spent the first part of the summer on the bike training for the Mt Evans Colorado hill climb. So based on my experience, I would not say that a 100k bike ride is the equivalent of a 1/2 marathon. Given your level of fitness you will finish, but depending on how hilly it is you will probably suffer.

The one thing I will guarantee is that your rear end will be sore when you're done. If you want to really enjoy it try to get in some bike time before hand.

Uh oh... now what?

Today while out for an impromptu hike after my son's quasi-field trip to the local trails, I had a thought.

Among all the endurance sports, 100 mile runs, Century rides, Ironman distance Tri's, etc do you think if you solely trained for one event do you think that discipline could then turn around and finish one of the other events without training for it?

For instance I think conventional wisdom would suggest someone who trained for an Ironman would be able to complete a century ride but not a cycling event that was in stages or 100 mile run. I continue to go back and forth and wanted to see what you all thought. There is no right or wrong answer it's pure curiosity on my part.

Have a good day all!

I was able to do century rides (not official stuff) while running ultras--substitute a day on the bike for a long run sort of thing, still had a road bike then.

The swimming part bothers me.  I still think the qualifying one (as in 1) mile open water swim as one of the hardest physical challenges I have ever done.  I thought I could do a duathlon--run/bike or the thing they used to have in Oregon (long gone)  run/bike/run (12k/25k/12k all trails) looked like fun.  Nowadays I just think I can sink very well unless we are graded for style.

I talked to some of the dual-finishers (MTB and run) at LT100.  A couple admitted to concentrating on the bike and suffering through the run.  Another said he wished he had done more pedaling as prep.

Yeah, +e³ for sore-butt factor if you aren't doing a lot of riding.