Trailer Trash

Wednesdaily!! (Read 13 times)

LB2

Started March off right yesterday by covering about 5 miles between searching for turkeys and burning the remainder of a field. We burned a total of 80 acres on that place, and I burned a .25 section of pines on the northeast side of my house that runs down to the gravel road. I saw a coyote yesterday morning on the first hike, and I saw a deer on this morning's run, which was the normal 2.5 mile loop.

QOTD: Are there any animals that you are afraid of that you might encounter on the trails?

I am not really afraid of any wild animals that I might encounter on the trails around here. I am certainly watchful of snakes, but I don't consider myself afraid of them.

QOTD 2: To you, does MAF mean "Maximum Aerobic Function" or "Mosey Along Forever"?

It clearly means the former, but I always thought it meant the latter. I guess maybe I should read more about running. I just read that today.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

So much for the meteorological start to spring. Snowing like crazy right now and according to the projected forecast we won't hit 40F until Mar 25th.  Last year I was tapping trees on the 3rd. Could be a while and with almost 3' on the ground it will be a grind.

Several days ago I mentioned I had caught either a cold or omicron but things weren't too bad. Well a couple hours later it was like I get hit by a truck. Been stuck on the couch for the most part since then though I did get out yesterday for 5.5 miles of run/walk movement. DW also is down too though not quite as bad. Slowly starting to get better but not a lot of fun. Oh, and I couldn't taste my orange juice this morning.

Sandy-Cipro has been the scourge of athletes for years. I remember having to tell a Dr. that maybe 10 years ago when he wanted to prescribe that. I realize general practitioners have to know a lot about a lot but it's another example of being your own advocate. Good job on looking out for yourself.

QOTD 1--when running, skiing, snowshoeing after dark in a few places around here I may tote a little hardware as we have a dense wolf population. Not afraid but just being practical. I realize they are there in daylight too but the dynamics with top line predators change when the lights go out.

QOTD 2--At my age it is certainly Moseying.

LB2

I hope things get better on the health front soon.

Several days ago I mentioned I had caught either a cold or omicron but things weren't too bad. Well a couple hours later it was like I get hit by a truck. Been stuck on the couch for the most part since then though I did get out yesterday for 5.5 miles of run/walk movement. DW also is down too though not quite as bad. Slowly starting to get better but not a lot of fun. Oh, and I couldn't taste my orange juice this morning.

LB2

Harrier, sorry you and the wife are under the weather. Sounds like the bug.  I hope it doesn’t last too long. 

Intervals yesterday, total of 6.8. 

We’re leaving for Ireland this afternoon. DH and I are going with my dad, who has some business there. He needs a little help to travel, and we are always up for a trip.  I’m doing a Marathon on Saturday in the small town of Kinvara.  The course is rolling roads through the countryside.  Really looking forward to it. 

QOTD: weirdos and mountain lions are the animals I’m most concerned about on the trails.

QOTD2: I was today years old when I learned what MAF meant. had sort of a vague notion before but never looked into it.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

runtraildc

Morning trailers. Chowder and o got in a 3 mile walk last night. And today might have to be a rest day. It’s a lot of house stuff and getting ready for our house-dogsitter (my brother) and our trip. Thankfully my new drivers license came this morning so I won’t have that hassle traveling without it.

NH- sorry to hear you and your DW are sick.

qotd- I’m afraid of too close encounters with venomous snakes (copperheads). I like seeing them from a safe distance and not by surprise. We do have coyotes, but I’ve never seen them here.. we had a barred owl fly by the car this week, but not running

Harrier - Hope you guys are feeing better soon.  We've had one person at work get CV, but he travels a lot to Mexico to visit his new wife (long story), so no one was surprised.  Besides feeling just down right crappy, he said he had a lot of trouble concentrating and remembering things.

45 min of core/ST this a.m. while ramping up with some old PT exercises.   My hamstring feels better today, which makes me very happy.  By the time I went home yesterday, I was ready to call my ortho in San Jose.

Then first thing this morning I spent 1.5 hrs in the dentist chair getting a tooth ready for a crown.  I don't numb up very easy, so she has to shoot me up with quite a bit of Novocaine.  I'm trying to not drool all over myself.  It's not a very professional look.

QOTD 1: Like Gatsby, weirdos and mountain lions, in that order.

QOTD 2: Never heard of "MAF".  Learn something new every day!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4 miles yesterday, 5 today- both with Tiny E Smile

NH- get well soon, sounds like it sucks 

qotd yesterday- pretty cool story- right around Christmas DW lost her (spendy) air pods while we were hiking.  Spent a lot of time searching, but there was a foot of snow.  Yesterday TE is sniffing something on the trail and lo and behold, there's the air pods.  We're talking about 10 weeks, under as much as 2' of snow and probably ten days well below zero in that stretch.  The damn things work like new! 

qotd: I had one pretty close encounter with a lion (at night w/ a headlamp), for some reason not too scared.  I've had several close encounters with grizzlies (and one bad one with a black bear); I'd be lying if I said it doesn't get your heart rate up!  NH was with me on one in Glacier!

qotd2: always used it in relation to vehicles- Mass Air Flow sensor 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

4.4 miles mostly walking with some running. I needed the recovery.

QOTD:  Not really relevant to me as I don't run trails where I might encounter wild anuimals that might inspire fear.

QOTD2:  I always thought MAF referred to Mafetone style training, i.e. focus on low heart rate training.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sandy-2

Got stuck at the office today so I didn't have time to run afterwards.  This going into the office thing sucks!!!

NH - hope you and your DW are feeling better soon.

Gatsby - have a great trip.  Cool that you fit in a marathon, sounds like some of my business trips. 

mt - funny about TE finding the air pods.  I'm sure he earned a special treat.

qotd 1: same as LB, not really afraid of anything around here but watchful of snakes (and hogs). Up in the mountains running alone in the evening, night and morning it's the bears and cats that have me looking around a lot and making noise.

qotd 2:  same as fatozzig, never heard of "MAF" before.

tbd.

LB2

That is what it is, but the acronym is Maximum Aerobic Function according to the article I read.

QOTD2:  I always thought MAF referred to Mafetone style training, i.e. focus on low heart rate training.

LB2