Trailer Trash

TGIFridaily (Read 28 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning all.  We are the midst of some outstanding weather- lows around freezing, but warming to near 60 and sunny- Wow!  Will strength train this morning and then a short run this afternoon.

qotd: do you keep track/pay attention to elevation in your running?  now that hill repeats have been become a regular workout I tend to pay attention more to elevation- I really can't run around here (save a road or track) and not get decent elevation, even on my shorter runs I'm looking at close 1000'

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning all! We have a very busy weekend ahead so I will have to be creative to get in some miles.  I don't think I will be able to get in any sort of long run so we'll see what happens otherwise.  No big plans this weekend just a lot of little things strung together.  Should be fun but just always on the go.  I do, however, have DW convinced to run a short trail run with me this weekend.  She has been doing a C25K and now is advancing to a 10K program.  So we need to fit that in somewhere while the autumn colors are still out.  Wish me luck in making this happen.

QOTD: I pay some attention to it but not enough to track it.  I would like to implement hill repeats at some point but it just hasn't worked out in terms of where and when.  I hope to do more "hilly" races next year so my plan is to implement something.

Have a great weekend!!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

Some trail miles with the pups this morning. Mostly chasing mule deer because my dogs don't like them too close to the trail. Then I ran hills in the hood. My development sits high on the side of a mountain, so our streets are pretty steep.

QOTD: I don't run with a GPS, so I don't track it. I know I get plenty of elevation gain on pretty much every run.

Talking about my GPS, I fired it up the other day and it still had my last run on it. From a year ago.

LB2

Nice, easy 5 this morning after an exhilarating 10 yesterday after work. I'll be off the the dentist soon....

QOTD: If I have a race that has a lot of elevation gain/loss in it, I will pay attention to it. The race I have coming up is not mountainous at all, so I have not even considered elevation except for being aware that most of the running I do on a daily basis is similar or more intense than what I will see on that course.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Good morning all... cooler weather here today and this weekend than the past few days. Should be great for running! Not sure what's on the docket today. May run on the road or do something flat on the rail trail or well maybe the usual sort of trail run. A slug like 7 miles last night out on Coventry Woods. Modified my regular route just a bit for something different. Pretty much had the place to myself though I did see some hikers with dogs on the last section of trail and the cigar smoking Frisbee golfers (there is no course there, some locals made one up with trees and posts for holes) were out as well near the trail head.

QOTD: I don't track elevation other than classifying routes as flat, regular, hilly. Flat is pretty much just rail trail running or some road/trail routes with mild slopes. Regular around here includes some hills, hilly would be routes that have multiple big climbs. The loop I ran last night is probably 800-900 foot gain over the distance. Most of it in 2 places along the trail. I used to do hill repeat on the road. I actually have a great hill smack dab next to my neighborhood for this... it's about 200 foot climb, 6/10 of a mile. I'd run up it hard like at 5k road pace effort, then jog back down. 4 or 5 those were killer.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

muppy

5.2 miles last night, and then went to yoga.

QOTD I don't really keep track of elevation, but there are some routes around that are very hilly. When I run my trails at work it's all hills so  I just put them in under hills in my log.

NHLA

6 miles on the mt. Beautiful morning for a run.

qotd   I used to track accumulated alt. gain. Now I know the climb for most of my runs so I don't keep up anymore.

Most of my runs gain 800' to 1800' an hour but the hill I live on gains 600' in a mile. Looking Glass Mt is 1600' in three miles.

The biggest jump we have is Mills River to Pisgua Mt.  2000' to 6000'.  Its the downhill that kills you.

Daydreamer1

Woke up this morning, rolled over, looked at the clock and it said 7:03...........Holy Crap.......... I should have left for work 10 minutes ago .

Needless to say I got in about 40 minutes late.  Fortunately no one had to cover any calls for me.  I worked Wednesday night from 11 pm to 7 am. So I had slept until 9 PM that evening and had the alarm set for that time. I think DW got up this morning and set the alarm to 5:55 as normal, but didn't realize it was still on PM.  Can't remember the last time I overslept and was late for work.

Rest day today, which is good since my legs are feeling beat up for some reason.

QOTD: This past year I payed a little more attention to my exact gain on several trails. That was because I was doing the hill training. Normally I don't track it because I don't have a GPS.   I have a Altimeter on the bike so I track elevation on every ride.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Driving to the coast almost there.  Plan a little something 3 when i get then.  Then beer.

qotd:  no too stupid to care

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

Well, I shouldn't be down at all. That was a pleasant dentist visit, even though he did some major stuff.

LB2

moonlightrunner

I have a dilemma...I have the opportunity to go for a two hour run...or go home and clean the house sans children. I know the decision sounds easy...go running! But still....I should clean. Perhaps a compromise...an hour run followed by cleaning.

Last night I was feeling sorry for myself because I was unable to go on a run without kids. It actually turned out we all had a great time. They LOVE bumpy single track.

Qotd: there is not enough significant elevation change where I live to bother keeping track of.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

some call me Tim

Hey, all... I finally made it here at a reasonable hour. It's been so busy I come and read the daily around 11pm but it doesn't seem like there's much point to posting then, though I guess Sandy would probably see it.

Glad to hear it went well LB.. I've got a nerve barking at me right now and it's a tooth that's been worked on a couple times already this year - bout to go down a sucky road, and one I've been down before. It's so much nicer after they fix your face, though.

Moonlight I had a similar dilemma today: run long on the course for the upcoming 50k or get anything done around home. But I wrapped up the work I needed to and got out of here early. Drove. Ran. Drove. And got back with about 3 minutes to spare to grab them off the bus! But I guess I'm good to go and two weeks out now. Almost 18 today and

2100+ FEET OF GAIN

qotd: Naw, it's a vanity metric. I spose at some point it might matter, but I've never used it to calibrate training, just to brag. I try not to be humble when I do it Big grin

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Crazy day at work, same expected for tomorrow. But, I still hope to get a run in in the evening. Weather is wonderful, so it's not difficult to get motivated.

QOTD: I pay attention, but don't keep track. When I'm preparing for a big race, I make sure I get in more elevation per mile than expected for the race (e.g. 230 ft per mile for a 100-miler with 23,000 ft elevation gain). I try to maintain this for (almost) every training run the 2 months before the race.

In my area, it's also almost impossible to not get in a significant elevation gain, usually at least 1,100 ft even on the short 5-mile runs. On 10-14 miles, I usually get 2,000-3,000 ft gain, depending on how I combine the trails.

Run for fun.

runtraildc

Late to the party, but I got 6.5 miles in while the kiddos were swimming.  Haven't run this route in a while, and it's not one of my favorites.  The first couple of miles are along a busy road, but I eventually get on the paved hiker trail which loops back to the pool and it is worth it.  The trees here are finally showing some color.

qotd:  I follow XT's strategy.  And I mostly have hills along steep ravines or rolling terrain.  It takes distances much further than I run to add up to any significant elevation gain.

Moonlight-- I love those runs (the ones you least expect to enjoy become great).  How old now are your grandkids?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

traildc, if I don't have much time, but need to prepare for a race with lots of elevation gain, I just run up my usual trail, which gains 800 ft in less than 1/2 mile, then 600 ft down on the other side, cross a gravel road, then 200 ft up again, and back. Do this two or three times, plus 300 ft elevation on the "access" mile, and I have a max of gain on a min of miles (or time). Oh, and it has bad footing as well, which is essential for PA races. 

I estimate the elevation gain simply by taking the lowest spot of the trail, up to the highest spot of the next main hill. This leaves out many little ups and downs, and puts me on the "safe" side of error.

Run for fun.