Trailer Trash

Tuesday fun (Read 12 times)

runtraildc

good morning. Chowder and I managed only a couple miles dogwalking along the creek last night. Heard on the radio this morning that although days continue to shorten, the sunset time (at least here) doesn't change. Our sunrise will continue to get later. I can live with that. Dark at 5 pm is my least favorite part of winter.

Plan is to run with the brewery group tonight. I have PT for my hand this afternoon, but that shouldn't get in the way 

XT-- Yes to Sedona. It's busy and touristy, but for a good reason. It really is quite stunning. We've avoided the weekends, and the most popular hikes ( for the most part, we've had success going later in the day to the Birthing Cave).

qotd: What's the winter forecast for your area? They are calling for snow this season. I can also deal with the cold, so I don't mind it if we also have a few cold spells, but not sure if that is in the official forecast.

XtremeTaper

I had thought about a lunchtime run today at the lake but someone scheduled a 12 noon conference call so that shoots that idea. Plan now is to just get a few miles up on the local trail before sunset. Took a day off from running yesterday.

QOTD: Not sure. Had to check. Forecast seems to be slightly above in the temp and precipitation department and perhaps more snow than last year, though that was less than 10"  for the season so not difficult to beat.

Runtrail/Sandy - thanks for the Sedona tips. Still in planning stage for late March long driving trip. We have Moab stop on the agenda so far, and a stop near Zion. It's complicated as we are taking the dogs and restrictions in some of the national parks.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

I will lift some weights some time before lunch, but I didn't run this morning. I only need to cover about 25 miles to reach my goal for the year. I sat in the woods for an hour and a half before work. I didn't see anything. My father in law had a 6 point buck on his camera at 7:45. I think he is "saving" him for my nephew who won't come hunt. Anyway, I'll hammer one around here in the next couple of weeks.

QOTD: It is supposed to be cooler and wetter than normal, and so far, we have had some cool temps. But you never know down here.

LB2

runtraildc

I'd also recommend any of the northern AZ national monuments and parks: Petrified Forest is interesting, and really only a day. Plus dog friendly. Near Flagstaff, there's Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater, Wupatki. Antelope Canyon (I can look up our guide company-- it was smaller)

And if you need a dogsitter in that area, DM me. DS is in Flagstaff and has done Rover (though not active now). His 60 b foster dog they had for 4 months was just adopted so the household is dog friendly.

Runtrail/Sandy - thanks for the Sedona tips. Still in planning stage for late March long driving trip. We have Moab stop on the agenda so far, and a stop near Zion. It's complicated as we are taking the dogs and restrictions in some of the national parks.

Hey, All -

We had company over the weekend, old high school friends of The Hub who I'd never met, but they were really nice and we had a great time.  They were supposed to stay through Sunday and leave Monday, but he ended up with a job interview Monday, so they had to leave early.

Anyway, all that to say I didn't get my run in until Sunday, which was fine because all the rain happened Saturday.

Yesterday was about 40 min of core/mobility/stretching.

Today was 5 predawn miles.  I was supposed to a little bit of speedwork, but as soon as I picked up the pace, my hamstrings rebelled.  I don't know what the *bleep* is going on, but that's very frustrating.  I think I need a solid massage, and on top of regular PT, I need to go back to my MAT guy and see what he says.  I need to get them under control!

QOTD: I have no idea, except I'm certain it's going to rain, rain, and rain some more.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dhuffman63

Trails

I detest winter.  It's so dart in the morning and then dark in the afternoon which impacts my ability to drive as I can't see in the dark and so DH has to drive me to and from dialysis on Tues and Thur. My new chair time is 7 am and it's still darkish.  I'm hoping when I get my new glasses that will help and I can drive myself again.  I hate being dependent on him when he needs to be at work.

Other than the darkness dialysis is going well.  I've made a couple of friends so that's nice.  I need to start walking again as I've been just sitting around.

We drove past Sedona on our Grand Canyon trip a few years ago.  I'll echo the touristy but absolutely stunning.  If you get a chance then do it.

Gatsby - I might have the opportunity to pace my friend from Michigan Bluff to Green Gate. I'll be doing Days 2 and 3 the Memorial Day Weekend Camp. It's been many moons since I did the camp, but I believe Day 2 gives a good idea of that stretch (except MB to FH), you just don't cross the river.  Correct?

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

5 miles (800') with my wife and Tiny Elvis- crazy, but we hit 60 degrees today!

qotd: supposedly a strong El Niño this winter, which means warmer and drier- other than single digits temps and 18" of snow in October  so far they're right.  DW is jonesing for snow, she just got her ski equipment and a season pass- not looking good at the moment; this time last year she already a month of skiing under her belt

this is from our hike yesterday, last year we were cross country skiing when they were putting up the ornaments probably two weeks earlier

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

3.5 miles run-walk; threw in some 20 second strides to see where my speed was, not bad considering all the down time and restrictions on intensity.

qotd:  since I think last year we had 0.3" of snow, anything will be a big increase. I think the forecast is for 75 times more than last year, so about the average of 22.8".

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Gatsby - I might have the opportunity to pace my friend from Michigan Bluff to Green Gate. I'll be doing Days 2 and 3 the Memorial Day Weekend Camp. It's been many moons since I did the camp, but I believe Day 2 gives a good idea of that stretch (except MB to FH), you just don't cross the river.  Correct?

That sounds fun.  For day one of the training camp, they bus people up to Robinson Flat, which may or may not have a bunch of snow.  If you did that, it would show you Michigan Bluff to Forest Hill, but that's not too complicated so I don't think you're missing much.  For day two, you'll meet up at the school at Forest Hill and start running from there.  Instead of crossing the river, you'll stop at Driver's flat and go uphill to catch a shuttle bus back to the start.  For day three, they bus you to Green Gate and you run to the finish line at Placer High School.  It's a fun weekend, with aid stations and a nice meal at the finish line.  I thinking days 2 and 3 would show you a good amount of what you'd be running if you paced from MB to GG.  And of course, you know what the river crossing is like.

PS Now I'm thinking about signing up.  Might see you there!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Sandy-2

Did 6 this morning, low 50s so it was nice. There was a guy doing trail maintenance on a ride-on mower so I had to keep my pace up to stay ahead of him for one of the middle miles, good training I guess.

qotd: we can have anything from 30° to 80° and sometimes both in the same day. So like LB mentioned, there’s no telling around here.

tbd.