Trailer Trash

Flurry Friday (Read 221 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hour at the gym this morning that included a 2 mile run.  Felt ok.  Nothing special.

QOTD: I don't know I really have anything compared to some of you but a more memorable run was just 3 months ago at PA Grand Canyon.  There was a cool trail (only a mile) starting from the east rim to the canyon floor and then a bit on the rail trail at the bottom and back up again.  It was almost peak foliage, was sunny at the top of the canyon, fog in the middle and then clear at the bottom.  Just an overall cool sight, some waterfalls and some gnarly trail.  I think I have pictures somewhere...I should go find them.

Have a good weekend all!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

NorthernHarrier

Busy morning for this old guy, couple more things to do and then paroled for the weekend. Yay!  Not sure what trails I will head to this afternoon yet, it really doesn't matter 'cause it's Friday!

QOTD--Oh man, where to begin. I'm an oldster who's been running a long time and while not a world traveller like a few of you I have covered most of North America a few times over.  Some places are just cool because they are different from my normal area and some were just epic.

Hoh rain forest-Olympic Park

Redwoods

Big Sur

Devils Backbone-Bozeman

4 pass loop-Aspen

Bahia Honda-Florida keys

Prince Edward Island's coast

Valentine NWR-Nebraska

Baxter state park-Maine

Pictured Rocks-Michigan

Manning Pro. park-B.C.

Etc.

But I still cherish my time on my local trails and never take them for granted.

nc tam

Another URD for me.  I'm declaring this week a rest week and will pick back up Monday.  If I am lucky I will get a few short runs in this weekend but I'm not going to count on it since it is my weekend to work.  Bleh.

QOTD:  Can I count hiking instead of running?  I loved exploring the trails in the Seoul, Korea area.  So different from here. A few of the routes topped out at little shrines.  The shrines were filled with lit candles, incense smoke and people praying.   In the states there are sections of the Appalachian Trail along the NC/TN border that I love, especially the stretches over the balds (get to run as well as hike these stretches from time to time).   Out west we have spent time in Mesa Verde and Bryce Canyon in the winter -- amazing places at a magical time.  We have heard stories about lines and crowds at both places in the summer.  On our visits we saw few people at the overlooks and no other people on the trails.  Quiet and lonely and wonderful.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Flurries? We had freezing rain!

2 hr school delay, and a dentist appointment this morning made me scratch off the day as a SRD. Hoping to get in some miles tomorrow.

QOTD: The place was not so magical, but the run was: Vienna Forest, with hoarfrost on the trees, bushes, and the ground. It looked like an enchanted magic forest. Lots of fluffy snow on the ground, too, the last downhill was a blast!

I've been to the Hawaiian Islands several times, but I have never run there. Should have, in hindsight!

Here are a few pictures of yesterday's trail run, as promised (no dead animals):

Up the hill. Did I mention we have lots of rocks?

This grade is steeper than what it looks like, maybe 25% or a bit more, and the footing is just bad.

But the downhill on the other side is a blast - especially with the right shoes!

This spring has saved me at least twice since I started running in that area. Always there, never contaminated.

This part of the trail is called "Three Bridges Trail" - guess why? (the third bridge is on the far left side, just left of the second bridge)

Did I mention rocks?

Nice views, though - now, that the pesky leaves are gone!

My favorite part of this loop: the high-speed "highway". I think this is the only non-technical trail within 50 miles!

Hey, these berries are just as bright as my well-coordinated non-Sunday outfit!

Caution - creek crossing ahead!

That's it for today!

Run for fun.

Uh oh... now what?

Busy morning for this old guy, couple more things to do and then paroled for the weekend. Yay!  Not sure what trails I will head to this afternoon yet, it really doesn't matter 'cause it's Friday!

QOTD--Oh man, where to begin. I'm an oldster who's been running a long time and while not a world traveller like a few of you I have covered most of North America a few times over.  Some places are just cool because they are different from my normal area and some were just epic.

Hoh rain forest-Olympic Park -- check

Redwoods -- check

Big Sur -- check

Devils Backbone-Bozeman

4 pass loop-Aspen -- check

Bahia Honda-Florida keys

Prince Edward Island's coast

Valentine NWR-Nebraska

Baxter state park-Maine -- check

Pictured Rocks-Michigan -- check

Manning Pro. park-B.C. -- check

Etc.

But I still cherish my time on my local trails and never take them for granted.

Seems like we should have met along the way.  I'll go look up the stops we made in Michigan, Minnesota, and Iowa.

NorthernHarrier

Seems like we should have met along the way.  I'll go look up the stops we made in Michigan, Minnesota, and Iowa.

Awesome!   Maybe down the road.

XtremeTaper

Took LadyB out for a shortish run on the trails at Green Lane at lunch. Still messed up over there (tree damage) so we just did 4 miles. Excellent conditions for a run... 35 degrees, rain, wet/damp leaf covered trails. Very enjoyable except for all the start/stops to hop over or around huge fallen trees. Second season in row where our woods have taken a beating.

QOTD: Hard to pick a favorite. A few unusual ones... Belize, Ambergis Caye. There is a sand/dirt path that is the "road" up north of town past the cut. The locals use it as a footpath and it also is used by golf carts (yes, a means of transportation there). I ran way up there one morning to see if I could find the end and never did... finally turned around at a shuttered up resort 5 miles out. Costa Rica... ran down the road one morning from our hotel and after a very hilly mile or two was shocked to see a sign for a park with footpaths. The owner wanted a few dollars for me to enter so I had to come back another day with some local currency in pocket. A true jungle run,  only maybe 5 miles of trails, but some awesome views of the Volcano Arenal.

Couch - Great photo tour... you can hit those trails from your house?

JohnM - Hehheh on your spouse. She is a sneaky one.

BoyJame - We ran the entire PA Grand Canyon rim trail on year point to point. It was late fall and we missed the colors but it was still awesome.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Taper, it's a 3-mile drive or run (along a road, but not too bad) to those trails. And there are many more trails there.

Run for fun.

Unplanned rest day. So much going on this week and my body is finally feeling all the effects. Trying to listen to what it's telling me, and that means it's time for a nap. Looking forward to a great trail run early tomorrow morning Smile

QOTD: I haven't run anywhere truly breathtaking, but over the past  year I've enjoyed run-exploring these places on vacations: 

-New Orleans 

-Pittsburgh

-Disney (not too many places to actually run!) 

Ultra Cowboy

Ok Update on my daily...part II...

Went out at lunch to test out the ankle . No pain running on flat gravel paths.

I'm going to shake things up tomorrow and enter a 10 mile trail run at Muir Beach.

As for my Cool places, I've been an awful lot of neat places but Clouds Rest at Yosemite was the most extreme. 

Video of a stretch of trail.... 

WYBMADIITY

Save

Daydreamer1

I just looked at my log and realized that I haven't run in over a week. Yuk. Oh well at least I've been on the bike and ellptical so I haven't been totally lazy. Anyway I did get in 3 miles on the elliptical and 17 miles on the trainer today. As soon as fall semester is over I really need to start putting in some serious miles.

QOTD: I think my most memorable run really wasn't a run, just a hike. That was this past summer in the Grand Canyon. A R2R is on my list of things to do someday.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

DD1, I missed you. Glad you are back!

Hope you'll get some serious miles in soon!

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

FTYC: I got so busy with school work and other things that I didn't have time to post. Then it took me a while to find my way over here. Classes are winding down now and I will be finished with that by next Wednesday, So hopefully I'll have more time for running. posting and fun stuff. Those are some nice pictures you posted today. It reminds me that I have to sign up for Rothrock soon.

Evening folks,

Got in an easy 6 miles this morning.  Tomorrow's 50K will put me over 2,000 miles for the year!  Although we're supposed to have good weather, the RD was saying a good 10 miles of the course is pretty muddy. Slip slidin' fun!

qotd: I haven't traveled a lot, but every time I run near Mt. Rainier it takes my breath away.  This past summer we did a run starting at Sunrise, which is the highest point on the mountain you can drive to (about 6,800 feet, I believe).  Our route took us through an incredible meadow resplendent with wildflowers, and the mountain seemed so close as to touch it.  So gorgeous!

Uh oh... now what?

Evening folks,

Got in an easy 6 miles this morning.  Tomorrow's 50K will put me over 2,000 miles for the year!  Although we're supposed to have good weather, the RD was saying a good 10 miles of the course is pretty muddy. Slip slidin' fun!

qotd: I haven't traveled a lot, but every time I run near Mt. Rainier it takes my breath away.  This past summer we did a run starting at Sunrise, which is the highest point on the mountain you can drive to (about 6,800 feet, I believe).  Our route took us through an incredible meadow resplendent with wildflowers, and the mountain seemed so close as to touch it.  So gorgeous!

Betsy,  We have some standing water (a rarity out here), but not much mud.

Deception pass should be about the same.  Today was mostly wind, very

noisy wind now, but lots of clearing sky.

Best wishes for a good run.