Trailer Trash

Wretched Wednesday (Read 14 times)

LB2

I have everything packed up and ready to go to leave out on Friday morning. I have a few more items to grab from the store tomorrow to make sure the camping/hunting trip is comfortable and without catastrophe. I ran an easy 2.3 miles this morning; saw 3 deer.

QOTD: Are there any invasive animal or plant species in your area that impact your life?

Sort of a weird question, but I say there are two invasive species that impact my life. One is a plant; one is an animal.

• Privet Hedge: The pollen gives me fits, and the prolific growth is only really controlled by fire. Once you burn it, it comes brittle and seems to be manageable.
    • Feral Hogs: These rascals come and go, but they seem to be here in a big way right now. They have rooted up the area around a tree in my backyard the last few days. I think they cleaned up every acorn on the ground, so maybe they will move on now.

LB2

runtraildc

Morning folks. Got in a 4 mi wog with my friend yesterday morning. He's now 81 and his pace is walking these days. Nice to catch up and good coffee afterwards. Then got in 5 last night with the brewery group, with the possible news (rumor) that they could be closing.

Today is cross training, but might get in a hike by DH's kiting spot on the Bay.

fatozzig-- just read the story about the antler shed hunter finding a human skeleton in Humboldt. Every runner's nightmare-- finding a body.

LB- was last fall a big acorn year for your tree? Sorry about the pigs. They are an animal you definitely don't want hanging around from what I understand.

qotd: As a gardener, I could go on and on about invasives. Right now, I'm trying to clean a corner of Vinca and creeping euonymous from one of my street's park. Animals? It is starlings. Hate them.

After work yesterday, got in a solid 45 min of core/ST.  I may have been a little too aggressive on the leg stuff, because my legs were beat for the 9 predawn miles this morning with a ladder workout.  It's been a long time since I've trained like this, and I tell ya, at 57, I'm feeling it.  My goal is to make it to noon today at work, and then I'm going home to take a long nap.  I am SO tired!

DC - I hadn't heard about that.  I'll have to see if I can find article on it.

QOTD: The Hub would say dandelions, but then he does grounds maintenance and sees them as the enemy.  There's also this small, obnoxious plant that I have no idea what it is, but it has miniscule seed heads and if you so much as look at it, the seeds go everywhere.  There's also a lot of invasive grasses in our local dunes that are resisting being wiped out.

As far as animals are concerned, none that I know of.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dhuffman63

Trails

qotd: When I had a garden I was at war with the bermuda grass runners.  They are evil when you are trying to plant things.  As for animals it's the deer near or on the road.  After hitting that one and messing up my SI joint I can't stand to see them.

NorthernHarrier

Dark and light mistiness today. Mid 30's so a moderate net loss on the snow. Small steps in the right direction. Did weights and rowing this morning and will soon head out for 8 on the roads. Saw what looked like a wolf the other day way out on the ice crossing the lake. Too far out to be sure. It might have been a coyote also and without anything near it to get a size perspective it will remain unknown but it was still a cool sight.

QOTD--on the lake we have to watch for yellow iris along shoelines as they are real destructive and of course eurasion milfoil can mess up the lakes ecosystem. Emerald ash borer is something else to stress about as we have a bunch of ash.

I along with many folks here would consider wake boats an invasive and were trying to ban them in our town. Others might say people from Illinois. 

A long and ever growing list if I really started naming them all.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

3 miles in the snow with DW, grandkids and Tiny Elvis; they're heading back tomorrow afternoon- we're going to try and squeeze in another hike and a little soaking at the local hot springs

qotd: Nothing that directly impacts me much, but we now have Eurasian collared doves that have made it across the entire state; these doves out compete our (and other states) native mourning doves, carry parasites w/ disease and other nonpleasantlies.  We also get tumbleweeds (Russian thistle) occasionally blowing down our street- some as big as small cars 

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

No run today...two walks with Jack for maybe 3 total. 

qotd:  I am not aware.  

NH:  At first Icwas a little disappointed I could only afford a house on a small lake but happy now as there are no boats cranking tunes in front of my house or jet skis zoning back by and forth.

Dark and light mistiness today. Mid 30's so a moderate net loss on the snow. Small steps in the right direction. Did weights and rowing this morning and will soon head out for 8 on the roads. Saw what looked like a wolf the other day way out on the ice crossing the lake. Too far out to be sure. It might have been a coyote also and without anything near it to get a size perspective it will remain unknown but it was still a cool sight.

QOTD--on the lake we have to watch for yellow iris along shoelines as they are real destructive and of course eurasion milfoil can mess up the lakes ecosystem. Emerald ash borer is something else to stress about as we have a bunch of ash.

I along with many folks here would consider wake boats an invasive and were trying to ban them in our town. Others might say people from Illinois. 

A long and ever growing list if I really started naming them all.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

No run today, I’ll double up tomorrow. 

qotd: I’m sure as transplanted yankee democrats, we’re seen as invasive species around here.   

Plant-wise we have dollar weed and some clover, but we don’t stress about it too much. Animal-wise we have Egyptian Geese down at the lake. We also have feral hogs near the lake and not near our house.

tbd.