Trailer Trash

way too cold Wednesdaily (Read 13 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

-12 F this morning with 15 mph winds netting a -35 windchill- looks like a good day to head to the gym 

5 miles with TE yesterday- chilly but a pretty neat day- overcast and then started snowing, like being in a snow globe 

qotd: do you have a "bucket list"?  have you crossed anything off of it?  I write down on a list every time I see something that looks cool, which makes for a pretty long list.  I have been able to cross off a few- Wonderland Trail last year and several years ago the R2R2R.  The funny thing is, I'd like to the R2R2R again and I'd like to bring DW on a abbreviated Wonderland trip- so much for crossing stuff off!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Just the morning walk in the dark fog. It was a mild 22 degrees and yes I did say mild 22 degrees. WTF. Run later in the day. I think a screw shoe run at the hills of CW. My goal is to not wuss out today and run to the top instead of staying on the lower trail. The reward for the climb is the flat trail on the ridge. I've been avoiding that climb with the ice lately mostly due to the trip back down the steep hill. Should be decent conditions as the snow probably has not melted down to the ice layer yet.

Oh, yesterday was 4 up at the local trail as all I had time for late in day.

QOTD: No real bucket list here. I always did want to play a round of golf at Pebble Beach but sort of scratched that idea as it's probably a 2k round since you have to stay 1 night at the lodge to secure a tee time. I always wanted to run WS100 but struck out so many times in the lottery and now qualifying is in the rear view mirror.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Hey guys, what's up?

Recovery 2.0 hit a snag, but I'm still getting out and about (a bit) for some hikes and long walks.  Been to Hopkins a few times and looks like more testing in my near future including another muscles biopsy (yes, as painful as it sounds).  Anyway, not how I hoped things would go, but I've stayed out of the wheelchair so far (only have to use a cane once in a while).

Go Commanders!

Hope everyone is well and happy.  I've had contact with Mike and Sue (and Jamie, remember him?) so not sure if anyone kept you updated on my progress (or lack there of).

QOTD:  Alaska, Iceland and Scotland trips on our list.

XT - DW and I played Pebble 30 years ago (July 1991).  We stopped in around 2:00pm to see the course and went to the Pro Shop to get a hat.  The guy said he could get us out for a round, and $225 later we were on the first tee with rental clubs and a cart.  We played as a twosome and never waited to hit a shot.  Think it's at last a 5hr round there now.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Tim- thanks for checking in!  Hope things improve for you soon- hiking/walking is definitely a plus so that's a start anyways 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Tim- thanks for checking in!  Hope things improve for you soon- hiking/walking is definitely a plus so that's a start anyways 

Well you kept telling me to check in, and since I'm still TT's Admin, thought I should check on things. You know see if I need to Ban anyone for bad language, etc. 

NorthernHarrier

Just 4 beach miles yesterday, beautiful beach but not the best for long miles. Double red flags today and surf is up. I'll head down the road shortly for 7 or so trail miles.  Some of these campers we see down here are crazy. The other day a RV stopped in front of our drive to disconnect his car so I looked up on google his make and model---$550,000. I feel so insignificant in my Rockwood A122s.  Simple living.

Hey Tim. think of you often. Please check in with your progress more.

QOTD--I've mellowed in my burning desires to do some things. Examples would be I always wanted to mountain bike the Bolivian death road and always thought a couple weeks at Everest base camp would be cool but not so much anymore. Probably the only thing that pops into my head right now is going up to Hyder Alaska for the bear viewing. That I will do once the whole border crossing thing is fixed. On the other hand Covid may be with us from here on out so who knows.

AT-runner

Tim

Hey Tim. think of you often. Please check in with your progress more.

Al - Thanks. I had a New Garrigus beer (Imperial IPA) 2 weeks ago and thought of you. Wasn't that the beer you brought to share with Mike and I when we were in CO?

dhuffman63

Trails

Harrier my dad had one that was as big as a tour bus...easily 550k or more, I never asked.  It was big enough a family could live in it.  My dad was always gypsy like and wanted to travel around but my mom is a stay at home type.  I inherited some of his wanderlust.

QOTD: I'd love to go to Nova Scotia and see the whales, same with Seattle and the killer whales.  Alaska to see the wolves, my parents did an Alaskan cruise that sounded lovely until all the virus's hit cruise ships.  Islands in the South Sea.  National Zoo and the Smithsonian.  I'd like to revisit NH where we lived when my dad was in the AF.  Ireland, Scotland, Egypt was on the list until they went nutso.  Did I mention I have wanderlust.  New Zealand.

Tim, I'm sorry you continue to struggle but glad you still are able to walk on your own.

Well you kept telling me to check in, and since I'm still TT's Admin, thought I should check on things. You know see if I need to Ban anyone for bad language, etc. 

Personally, I think all the talk of this carpy weather can be considered "bad language."  I just don't know how you folks live with it.

I did my MAT exercises this morning, but that's it.  I'll get my core/ST done after work.

This weekend I'm driving up to Astoria, OR, to say goodbye to one of my dearest friends.  Kate was diagnosed with and had surgery for a Grade 4 Glioblastoma in 2020.  Unfortunately, it's a very aggressive tumor and it's coming back and she has another aggressive tumor that has attached itself to her brain stem.  Her sister, Karen, is my best friend, and the two of them are not only the reason I started running, but also the reason I got into trail running.  Kate has always been one of my staunchest supports as a runner, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that we will soon be losing her.  It's gonna be a tough visit, but it's gotta happen.

QOTD: Alaska.  I want to get to Alaska while I'm still able to motor around, hike, etc.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

XtremeTaper

Hey AT - Thanks for the update, sorry to hear about the setback. I've heard it's possible to get a same day tee-time at Pebble but that means you'd have to be there and get lucky. Cool that you got to play... must have been a great walk spoiled!

Fattozig - Sad about your friend.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

Nothing today, but I feel good. I'll probably sit things out until Friday when I go for a walk. I plan to start running again next week, short and slow.

Fatozzig: I am truly sorry to hear about your friend.

QOTD: I don't really have anything on a bucket list as far as travel goes. I pretty much went to most of the places I planned on visiting when I was in the Marines. But if I could go back in time, I would have added Australia and New Zealand to the list. But I have no plans to go, so I don't consider them bucket list things.

LB2

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Tim, good to hear from you.  Yes, I think there has been some bad language. Didn't someone mention a road race?

Legs felt beat up after back to back days of 10 and 8 miles, so only a brisk 4 mile walk today.

QOTD:  I've been blessed and fortunate to be able to check off some major items on my bucket list including Alaska, Switzerland, and Norway, and a good selection of national parks.  I'd love to get back to Alaska and visit Gates of the Arctic NP, but that's probably not realistic. The French and Italian Alps, Big Bend NP, and New Zealand are on my list.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

runtraildc

Nothing for me today. Woke up with a sore ankle-- I guess yesterday's run was too much for it. Got some heat on it and it's feeling less cranky. I'll get in some core work in and call it a day.

AT-- good to hear from you, and good to hear that you're still on two feet. Sending good wishes that things remain stable or improve, but don't decline.

qotd: The Galapagos and hiking in Patagonia. Most really wild places I've been, I also want to return. I worked in Alaska and was based for 1.5 years out of Kodiak Island and the Aleutians, and I want to go back. One of my best memories was seeing a couple of Kodiak bears up close from the security of a low flying bush plane. Lots of whales and otters, too.

Sandy-2

Tim - great to hear from you, only wish the news was a little better.  Hang in there.

fatozzig - really sorry to hear about your friend. 

I did an easy 4 mi today.  I got too busy at work and then talked with a financial advisor today and didn’t have a lot of time so I squeezed in a ‘quickie’. 

qotd: don’t have a list, but plan on doing some traveling around the US some. Always wanted to go to Alaska too.

tbd.