Trail Runners

Trail Runners Extreme Team - September 2009 (Read 566 times)

A couple of friends are running Hundred in the Hood on Sept 26.  A full 8 - count them, 8 - aid stations, and they think all in a row, do not allow crew or drop bags. WTH?!?  And I believe this is all during the second half of the run.  It's nuts.  Both plan to use their hydration packs as backpacks and use hand-helds for drinking.  Absolutely ridiculous.

Hell, Barkley only has 4 aid stations and they just serve raw chicken and water.  :-)

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Chris, what the heck is Barkley and ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Leslie, yes it was a little funny, once our "rescuers" arrived and we were being towed behind their boat.  I giggled a little myself.  Of course, I was praying to God earlier when it looked like we were going to spend the night on a capsized hull in the middle of the lake.  On a weekday evening with the sun already down, our chances of being seen were getting low.  I had to balance on top of the (upside down) hull and wave an oar over my head in hopes that someone would see us. 

Lessons learned:  Always put the drain plug in FIRST!  Carry some kind of flashlight in a waterproof bag.  Life vests are required for a reason.

Chris, what the heck is Barkley and ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Yup, it's insane. :-)

"The only thing that buckles here is your knees."

8 of 650 people have *ever* finished it.  52,900' of climbing, 52,900' of descent.  The race has no set start time.  Gary blows a conch shell to signify one hour to start.  Usually it's whenever he wakes up and feels like starting the race.  The race is started when he lights his cigarette.  He plays taps on a bugle *when* (not if) you DNF. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkley_Marathons

http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/

From the "official" race website (that hasn't been updated since 2000): 

The Barkley Marathons

60 hours to run 100 miles
        36 minutes a mile
        I don't care how tough the course
        I don't care how steep the hills
        I can run 36 minutes a mile
        All it takes to finish
        I must only not quit
        Over 300 runners have thought this
        Only one has backed it up
        The others have heard a voice
        A pitiful, plaintive voice in the wilderness crying
        "Mommy, I can't take it anymore."
        "Mommy, I want to go home."
        And the voice was their own

Humility Awaits
        at the Barkley

If you want to enter, you just re-use the 1995 entry form:

http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/bark-ent.txt

The King of Beasts

anotherone-forgive me if this has already been asked/answered. How do you train (if at all) for the Leadville altitude, and how did it affect you?

Last year I spent 8 weeks training and racing in Leadville to get a little better aclimated (spelling).  I ran a 27:04.  I was never able or expect to be able to run at 10k feet the same paces i run at sea level,

This year I ran more.  Last year from Jan to Dec I ran 2500 miles, (50 a week), at the time of the 100 I had run 2650 miles (just over 75 a week). 

Does that answer your question?

Truth be told there is no replacement to living at 10k feet.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Truth be told there is no replacement to living at 10k feet.

True dat.

I keep kicking around an altitude tent...but I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me.

...---...

Not much to report from me lately - just low easy miles to keep from getting rusty. I check the forum daily though.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. Let's get this thing done. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Yup, it's insane. :-)

Understatement of the year!  NUTS!

...---...

anotherone-forgive me if this has already been asked/answered. How do you train (if at all) for the Leadville altitude, and how did it affect you?

This is how my mind works, an actual stream of consciousness after reading this:

hmm, maybe train with a breathing apparatus, filter out some of the O2 content...a reverse air scrubber....make the air a little thinner... Wear a scuba tank filled with less oxygen content...Now that would be funny...especially with the fins...what if I rented a tank of helium and filled a bunch of balloons and ran with that...suck in some helium every 3rd breath...speak to everyone I pass in helium voice...the wind resistance from balloons would be good training too...could I hold my breath a little during training to simulate the O2 deprivation? probably...it'd be way more fun to go to Colorado and train though...wonder if I could quit my job and do that...DW would kill me...I hate my job...wish I could win the lottery...or get a another job...maybe Joe will call back with some good news soon...I really want that other job...maybe I could ask for Colorado territory...

Okay., back to reality.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Anyone know where I can get me some EPO?

Trey has taper madness. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Anyone know where I can get me some EPO?

Trey has taper madness. 

LOL!!!

...---...

Trey has taper madness. 

LOL, glad to know the things wrong with me have a clinical name.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Trey has taper madness. 

{snicker!}

PS - Hope you get the job, Trey.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm starting to feel it too. My mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a...fraid.

Name that movie.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Look . . . I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

17 minutes. Not bad. BTW one of my Dogs is named Daisy.