Trail Runners

Trail Runners Extreme Team - September 2009 (Read 566 times)

...---...

My wife is a Texan - but we've mostly converted her over to "normal" by now.

Kitrin - here you go. Trey's 50K RR

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Does she say "warsh" (wash) and "meeilk" (milk)?

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...---...

Does she say "warsh" (wash) and "meeilk" (milk)?

No. She was east Texas.  

BUT, my old neighbors, SC natives, talked like that. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Trey, thanks for the report!  What a great story.  You did exactly what you were supposed to do.  You made mistakes, but you didn't let them stop you.  What more can anyone want out of a first ultra event?  In so many ways, everything in this life is similar.  It is not how you start that matters, but how (or whether) you finish.

Both Trey and Leslie, just curious, what is "wrong" with Texas that one needs to be "cured" or that one is "doomed" by it? (I ask this with a playful spirit, by the way.) 

Kitrin

Kitrin - Easy: Fattening food lovers, all of them.  Case in point: Hamhock and pinto beans, cornbread, and fried potatoes (fried in Crisco and a cast iron skillet, no less).  Crumble up the cornbread, dump a pile of beans on it (including the fat from the hamhock), add butter and ketchup, mix together, pile on the fried potatoes - HEAVEN ON A PLATE, I TELL YA!!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

...---...

Both Trey and Leslie, just curious, what is "wrong" with Texas that one needs to be "cured" or that one is "doomed" by it? (I ask this with a playful spirit, by the way.) 

I think everyone can be saved so I wouldn't exactly use the term "doomed"   and "wrong" is, well, relative. Please don't kick me with your spurs...that would hurt. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Kitrin - Easy: Fattening food lovers, all of them.  Case in point: Hamhock and pinto beans, cornbread, and fried potatoes (fried in Crisco and a cast iron skillet, no less).  Crumble up the cornbread, dump a pile of beans on it (including the fat from the hamhock), add butter and ketchup, mix together, pile on the fried potatoes - HEAVEN ON A PLATE, I TELL YA!!

^^^ Stuff like that is why I'm a  Clydesdale.  And I'm not from anywhere close to Texas.  Maybe all the Texans around here are rubbing off on me or something.  (At least I haven't developed their driving habits!!)

Big grin

Please don't kick me with your spurs...that would hurt. 

But he would enjoy it immensely. 

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Leslie, you forgot the GRAVY.  You can't eat anything without it.  True, it is a fight upstream to eat healthy here.  My biggest problem is the ice cream.

Trey, a true Texan could come after you with something more dangerous than spurs, LOL!  However, I grew up in California and lived in the Pacific NW, so I am fully indoctrinated with "diplomacy disease."  It drives my husband crazy!

Chris, good food cannot be passed up.  We will all die sometime; we might as well go eating something delicious!

Everything is better with BUTTER!

Kitrin

...---...

Mmmmm. Chicken friend steak with gravy. The best I've ever had was a lunch downtown Waxahatchie at a converted old hotel. I wasn't hungry for many many hours after that.

Gonna be traveling this weekend so hope to find some new trails to run. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Hello everybody!  Quiet here over the last couple days.

I finally got out to run this morning.  I am glad I chose to do my transplanting and other yard work yesterday instead of running because it rained last night and looks like it will rain on and off for the next few.  This is a VERY GOOD THING as the drought conditions in TX are beyond extreme.  I was more than happy to run in super-humid air today.

I went to the old reliable short trail and ran 3 miles rather slowly.  Perhaps I will get around to running more than once per week after I leave for CA on Tuesday.  I will not have all the distractions I have here in TX.  I will have two glorious weeks to rediscover the trails in Northern California.  I wish I could find a way to meet up with you, Leslie, but I fear the distance.  I think you are 4-5 hours away from Auburn.  I know it takes 3 hours to get to Redding.

I hope everyone is well.  I am in good shape because I made oatmeal raisin cookies.  YUM!

Kitrin

I will have two glorious weeks to rediscover the trails in Northern California.  I wish I could find a way to meet up with you, Leslie, but I fear the distance.  I think you are 4-5 hours away from Auburn.  I know it takes 3 hours to get to Redding.

It's probably more like 5-6 hours as we're 3 hours from Redding.  Yep, we are waaaaaay north.  Only 1.5 hrs from the CA/OR state line.  If you're going to be in Auburn the entire time, check out the map at the AR50 site, which is what I'll be running in April.  Hey, maybe you'll get to run part of the trail and can let me know how it is!

Have a good trip.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

It's probably more like 5-6 hours as we're 3 hours from Redding.  Yep, we are waaaaaay north.  Only 1.5 hrs from the CA/OR state line.

A cool...a friend of mine just moved to Ashland, not far over the border.

I had another miserable run on Tuesday so I just took the whole week off, less my 30 minute streak runs and/or walks.  Feeling better now.  The forced taper was probably actually a good thing...though I'm going taper stir crazy.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

If you're going to be in Auburn the entire time, check out the map at the AR50 site, which is what I'll be running in April.  Hey, maybe you'll get to run part of the trail and can let me know how it is!

CRAZY!  I already know it.  My brother-in-law bicycle commutes that trail and he (and my sister) take me riding on it.  Be prepared for some SERIOUS elevation gain at the END of your run.  DO NOT deplete your reserves.  Your finish is literally 1/4 mile from where I lived for 2 years while my husband was in Iraq.  It is the same finish area for the Auburn Triathlon (the inspiration that started me running).  Small, small world.  Oh, it is quite scenic, by the way.

Chris, sorry to hear you have been under the weather, but happy to hear that you are improving.  Perhaps you can put some miles on your legs this weekend.

Be prepared for some SERIOUS elevation gain at the END of your run.  DO NOT deplete your reserves. 

That's what I've been told by a few people - that you have to be careful not to go out too fast on the front flat or you'll do yourself in at the end.  I've been eyeing that climb at the very end.  My friend who will be pacing me is going to do a lot of the training with me, as well, so hopefully she won't be completely dead that last 3-5 miles.

Finally told The Hub about it last night asked him to crew for me.  Instantly said yes, if he can get the time off work.  I was extremely happy to hear that.  BUT, I told him he would only need to take 2 days off work.  Now I'm thinking I want to leave Thursday so that we have Friday to drive as much of the course as possible to find the aid stations adn then rest the balance of the day.  Can you tell this is going to drive me nuts for the next 7 months?!?

Chris - Hope your friend is a runner.  Ashland is a great place to train.  That's where the Siskiyou Out Back is run - on Mt. Ashland.  Hal Koerner owns the local running store.  It's also just a beautiful place, and they have the Shakespeare (sp?) Festival there ever year.  The place explodes with people.  Nearby is Jacksonville.  A very cool little town.  Beautiful drive between there and Ashland.  Hey - maybe you can come out next year and run SOB!   Hope the forced taper has helped you get re-energized.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance