Trail Runners

Trail Runners Extreme Team - September 2009 (Read 566 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Whoa, under 24! Nice work Kelly!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Great job, Kelly!  Are your legs screaming again this time?

Happy

Wow, Kelly - First and Only Female to Finish; 9th overall is amazing. Congratulations! I hope you are happy with your time?!

Can't wait to read your race report.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Woo Hoo!  Congratulations, Kelly!!  Fantastic sub-24 finish!!!  I was up 'til almost 11:00 last night checking on the updates.  You were doing so good, I wanted to stay up until you were done.  And the only female to gut it out to the end.  Way to go, girlfriend!!

Kitrin - Re your hard run - never underestimate the power of a time change (Texas to California) on the body, regardless of whether you're gaining or losing time.  If it was that warm (and 80 is considered hot weather to run in), how much fluid did you take in?

Runs - Great job on the race!  Yep, trail running is so much better than road running.

Did an easy 10-mile trail run yesterday.  At the end, we took Charlied Dog down to a water hole to swim in, and we kept throwing the stick for him to go back in and get so he'd come out and shake water all over us.  It was warm and quite humid for this area.  Our last mile, our average pace took a nose dive since we stopped for the dog swim and to pick blackberries.  Yum!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

under a rock

Awesome job Kelly! I am so impressed. Very inspiring for a newbie trail runner!
              Nice job Kelly....that's really impressive!!  Way to go!!

...---...

Kelly - I'm not worthy (does the Wayne's World bow).

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Happy

Flower, I am so paranoid about injuries that I rarely push myself too hard.  It sounds like you are taking a reasonable approach and will do well with your plan.  If you have some extra motivation, will you send it my way?

Kitrin, Motivation coming your way ---------------------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the encouraging words. Will be back with more pre-first-50K anxiety right after we hear from Kelly. 

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
                    Our last mile, our average pace took a nose dive since we stopped for the dog swim and to pick blackberries.  Yum!

I love Blackberries... that's worth killing your average pace for!

I'm headed to bed.  Tomorrow we're leaving for the Bear 100.  Gonna spend a few days in Utah/Idaho doing the tourist thing.  The weather looks great.  Highs around 70, lows around 40.  Clear and sunny.  Hopefully I can get over this little bug I've been fighting for two weeks now.  Still not feeling 100%.

If you guys want to follow along, here's the race website (I'm Chris Gerber, which is probably obvious ):

http://www.bear100.com/

My brother will be sending a signal from my SPOT GPS locator when I come through each aid station (in case the race doesn't do live updates).  The tracking page is here:

SPOT GPS Tracking 

The race starts at 6:00 MDT on Friday.  jlynnbob (posts in the ultra forum) is also running it. 

Have a great week everyone, catch you on the flipside!

- Chris

Imminent Catastrophe

My brother will be sending a signal from my SPOT GPS locator when I come through each aid station (in case the race doesn't do live updates).  The tracking page is here:

SPOT GPS Tracking 

Hey, that's a cool gadget. Good luck, it looks like a beautiful course!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Happy

Good Luck, Chris - Thank Goodness you are feeling better. I am looking forward to tracking you - looks like you are very fit  WOW.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Chris, you have all the cool equipment!  I am glad you do so that we can keep tabs on you.  My hopes are with you that you will achieve 100% before you start.  Otherwise, maybe it will show up during the race?  (That is me being super-optimistic.)  Good luck and enjoy yourself!

Leslie,  I will have to wait until I get home to post any pics that I take.  The internet connection at my mom's place is dismally slow (I am at my sister's right now) and I have difficulty with even normal postings in this forum through it.  Sigh.  I am spoiled by my cable connection at home.  Also, I am without a car and totally dependent on family chauffers until I pick up a rental on Thursday.  That makes it more difficult to reach Rattlesnake bar and such.  Still, I am thinking of you and doing what I can.

Kelly, can you move yet?

Flower, thank you SO MUCH for the motivation.  How long until your race again?  Don't let those jitters get to you - simply use them as an extra adrenaline source.

Keep running all!

Ktirin

Way to go Kelly! Great job. Chris, I'll be pulling for you and will try and follow along. 

Kelly, mind sharing your training stategies? Tempo runs? Low hr? Speed work? Hills? Do tell please.

Two weeks of consistent every other day running and inconsistent cross training on off days, all pain free! I hesitate to say I think I'm over it. I worked a stepper yesterday for 30:00 that definitely hurt, but I felt fine today, better than fine actually. I think my left leg got week from limping and favoring the right for so long. I am going to have to strengthen it. I'm trying to add some overhead squats and Pilates to my workouts to strengthen my hips and core, realigning things. Seems to be helping. I can't believe how screwed up my hips and junk are. Pain all over my hips for almost a year now. Sheesh. Things look to be looking though.

Oh, check it. I was in the woods with my 4 kids last weekend when I ran into Joe Kulak. He lives 5 minutes from me and got 2nd at Umstead this year. I may hook up with him and his crew for ultrarunning groups. Cool, huh? 

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Greg - Good to see you again!  Very glad things are on a positive note for you.  Stay patient and you'll keep improving.

Chris - Good luck!!!  I'll be checking your progress.

Kitrin - Thanks for still thinking of me while on your vacation.  Hope you're having a great time!

Flower - Keep doing what you're doing, and you'll see steady progress.

Taper mode is usually annoying, but this time around I'm liking it.  Maybe that means I'm ready for that 3-week break my coach has promised me after this weekend.  Big Sur is looking to be warm (high 60s).  Bummer. Plus, I have a feelng the entire course (which is actually a dirt road and not a trail - 'nother bummer) is totally exposed.  Bummer #3.  Calls for lots of sunscreen and my Coolmax bandana.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...---...

I'm trying to add some overhead squats and Pilates to my workouts to strengthen my hips and core, realigning things. Seems to be helping. I can't believe how screwed up my hips and junk are. Pain all over my hips for almost a year now. 

I know how you feel. My pelvis and hips were way out of whack. Last Spring, I was out for almost 2 months, went to a physical therapist who worked out some knots and got me on a strengthening routine. All of it cured the issue. I'm having some additional issues with my adductor/abductor/groin area lately but it's manageable. I've been slacking on the core exercises. 3 key stretches BEFORE running (yes, that's right world, I stretch before running and it's wonderful) - it's made a huge positive difference. 

Hope you rebound soon and best of luck. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12