Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - January 2011 (Read 390 times)

Hey HEY hey - Whatcha'll got going this coming weekend?  Trudging through waist-deep snow?  Battling wind, rain, or whatever else Mother Nature decides to throw at us?

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wanderingoutlaw

Two trail runs so far this year--a 5.5 miler on New Years Day and a 10k race yesterday.  Didn't do as well as I hoped in the race, but after having to take off about two weeks in December due to sickness, I'm happy to have finished and run the whole thing.  Even got third place in age group (partly due to less runners this year).

John

Hi, John!  Long time, no see.  How're the feet holding up this winter?  Congratulations on the AG.

Yesterday my buddy and I completed 22 logging road miles.  Not another soul in sight the entire time.  It crisp, but very enjoyable.  Karen wasn't feeling all that well, but she gutted it out.

Today - 10 road miles.  The road is SO exciting! Roll eyes

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Haven't done much trail running yet this year, but tomorrow morning is the Ghost Town 38.5 which is basically a trail marathon surrounded by a few road 10ks...so it should be fun.  Never run at altitude before.

I did a hike on Sandia Mountain yesterday (about 4.5 miles) which is around 2 miles in elevation, a good 3000 feet higher than the race will go, and didn't have any trouble.  (Well, no trouble except when I was waist deep in snow after stepping off the packed down trail a wee bit anyway.)

On the bright side, my trail shoes haven't been this clean since I bought them. The snow did a great job of getting all the dirt and crud off the tread and brightening up the shoes. Heheh.

I'll fix that tomorrow.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Organized a small, informal group trail run this morning (preview of the course we'll use in our series). Only one person fell down. Um, yes, that would be me. So I scored a shutout of 1-0-0... Heh. No injury. But fell downhill, which is a very annoying direction to fall, as it is harder to catch yourself and harder to get back up.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Only one person fell down. Um, yes, that would be me . . .  But fell downhill, which is a very annoying direction to fall, as it is harder to catch yourself and harder to get back up.

Big grin

I was limited to flat dirt roads today as I am nursing an ankle something-or-other.  Seems most likely I stressed it week before last doing hill sprints, then improved on that stress with the 22-miler we did on Saturday.  So it's RICE for me, and easy, flat runs for at least a week.  (What?  No speedwork?  No hill sprints?  Ah, too bad, so sad - NOT! Wink )

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ha, enjoy that flat running -- and hope it strengthens up quickly.

Nice meeting you at GT38.5, Blaine!  Was nice to run in the sun and warmth.  Smile

Here's the shot I stopped to take at sunrise, around mile 7:

Gorgeous photo, Chris!!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Great meeting you too, and I've got a photo from almost the same spot.

One of my friends got this one from Hilltop Station before we got there which I thought was pretty cool:

I also like this one just because it's well framed (and shows off how color coordinated I can be!):

Full album: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=181033001927155&id=126179997412456&aid=40288

I haven't gotten my race report up yet.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Wow, I really love the colors and the way the clouds radiate on that photo from Hilltop... that is cool.  If you find yourself racing out west again, let me know.

I haven't written a race report in ages, but maybe I will for this one... since it was such a great exercise in complete and utter implosion. Big grin

Dang, that's quite the outfit, Blaine!

19 logging road miles today. It was suppose to be 20, but somewhere along the line, we screwed up.  I'll make it up tomorrow.

And I apologize in advance to all of you freezing your a$$e$ - It was absolutely gorgeous today.  Certain parts were chilly, but toward the end, it was getting fairly warm.  Charlie cooled off my swimming around for awhile in a couple of huge, deep puddles.  It had to have been in the mid 60s in certain areas.

Unfortunately, I forgot my salt pills.  Thankfully, we were only going to be out about 4 hrs and Karen had 6 with her.  She shared and we took one every 1.5 hrs.  Both of us could really feel the lack of salt toward the end.  On a positive note, I ate half a PBJ today without getting nauseated.  Woot Woot!  For the past couple of years, peanut butter and me + running haven't been a good combo.  I decided to give it another try and it worked out.  I'll keep trying it, and hopefully the unhappy union is a thing of the past.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congrats on the PBJ breakthrough! Now you brought the image to my head, I'm going to go have a before-bed PB.

PS: Blaine's photos are cool.

Congrats on the PBJ breakthrough! Now you brought the image to my head, I'm going to go have a before-bed PB.

Was it as good as you anticipated?? Big grin

10.75 EZ road miles yesterday with another PBJ success.  I need to be better at recovery eating on Saturdays.  I woke up yesterday starving, was hungry the entire run, and if I didn't keep eating, I could feel the nausea starting to creep up on me.  I ate a couple of frozen waffles before I went out, but wasn't enough.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yes it was indeed.

Ate cereal right before running 8 today, to ensure I had food inside me.