Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - March 2010 (Read 529 times)

Happy

Ashley - glad you are fired up! Fartleks can be done unstructured or by instinct; but as it turns out there are many people and coaches that use structured fartleks. You can find examples of such workouts on the internet - different coaches have their own approaches. Find something that sounds like fun to you and start there. No reason to overthink it. Good Luck!

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
      Ashely - Lots of folks doing speed work will use specific spots - from this mail box to that tree, from that garbage can to the corner.  Some speed work are short bursts of hard running, others are lengths of time (i.e. 5 minutes) of faster than your regular pace, but not 100% all out.  Like Flower said, keep it unstructured and it seems less mentally grueling.  You can even incorporate speed work into hill work, but one or the other, one time a week, is what's be recommended to me.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I should probably do speedwork.  I just hate it...

Oh, it's the end of the month and the end of Q1...so figured I'd post Anton's stats.  Impressive, to say the least:

March Totals
        -Miles: 547
        -Hours: 81h 08min
        -Vertical: 94,700'
        -Green Mountain: 31
        -Bear Peak: 2
        -Days Off: 0

2010 Totals (Day 90)
        -Miles: 1536
        -Hours: 228h 31min (when is it appropriate to switch to "days"?)
        -Vertical: 286,500'
        -Green Mountain: 98

http://antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/

Holy crap!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy

I should probably do speedwork.  I just hate it...

Oh, it's the end of the month and the end of Q1...so figured I'd post Anton's stats.  Impressive, to say the least:

March Totals
            -Miles: 547
            -Hours: 81h 08min
            -Vertical: 94,700'
            -Green Mountain: 31

2010 Totals (Day 90)
            -Miles: 1536
            -Hours: 228h 31min (when is it appropriate to switch to "days"?)
            -Vertical: 286,500'
            -Green Mountain: 98

http://antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/

So Chris, how do you measure up? 

Do you post this in order to impress or depress? Is this your own special take on masochism - comparing yourself to Krupicka is a bit deflating (in my case, anyway); does it inspire you to read his stats? Do you read his blog? I do admire the guy - but heck, he is not in my ball park at all. 

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Yeah, it inspires me quit a bit.  We both live in the same town and run the same trails... so it's pretty cool to see what he's doing out there.

8 "easy" trail miles this morning. Karen was wondering why we weren't pushing as hard on the hills, and I said, "I'm tapering!  I'm suppose to run easy today."  She had 12, so after I left her, went back to her house, took a shower, then had breakfast waiting for her and her daughter when she got done.  Huevos rancheros.  Yum!  We also went over all my info for AR50 next Saturday.  The closer it gets, the ansier, excited, nervous, etc., I get.

Karen works at an eye surgery center and had some work to do there today.  One of the nurses, who I'm getting to be friends with, has this heavy duty vibrating massager thing (get your minds out of the gutter).  Anyway, she agreed to meet us there and work on my back and legs for an hour.  Oh boy howdy did that feel good!  Worked the IT band and calf muscles.  Nice, very, very nice.  Now I get to do transcription for a few hours.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend ~

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance