Swim Bike Run

swim training with no water (Read 204 times)

hairshirt knitter

I'm planning to do a half-iron tri in August. I haven't done a triathlon for more than 10 years but probably did 8 halfs and a couple of fulls before I stopped. I have hardly been swimming at all in the years since.

The problem is that I have no indoor pool close by, the nearest pool (18m!) is about an hours drive away. Once the ice is out, I've got all sorts of open water to go at though. That's probably not going to be until April, which is cutting the training time short.

What do you reckon I should be doing in the meantime? I'm thinking chest, shoulders and arms strength training? Has anyone used swim cords and are they any use? I don't have access to a gym either, so any weight training needs to involve cheap equipment, or no equipment. What exercises best help your swimming and will help to prevent overuse injury once I actually get in the water?

Good luck

Is there any hotel/motels or resorts close by with a pool? I'll bet if you stop and talk with them, they would let you swim for a nominal fee..

I would think about doing seated rows and lat pulldowns for strength training to engage your back muscles.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

hairshirt knitter

Thanks, the nearest hotel pool is 45 min away and is only 36' long - hardly worth the effort, maybe I could use one of these anchor ropes! Likewise, the nearest gym for seated rows and lat pulldowns.

Swim cords, anyone got experience of using them? Or free weights? Or can I get by with pushups, pullups and planks?

Once the ice is out, I've got all sorts of open water to go at though. That's probably not going to be until April, which is cutting the training time short.

What do you reckon I should be doing in the meantime? I'm thinking chest, shoulders and arms strength training? Has anyone used swim cords and are they any use? I don't have access to a gym either, so any weight training needs to involve cheap equipment, or no equipment. What exercises best help your swimming and will help to prevent overuse injury once I actually get in the water?

I can't imagine a pleasant April swim where you live Smile.

I don't know whether you'll have enough time and I don't know your swim strength back in the days when you did your tri's before.
          But, I imagine that you'll be able to complete (finish, not race) 2000+ yards of swimming without a problem come August provided you have a couple of months of training and preparation.

I assume that you're getting some decent indoor biking training and some running in during these winter months as you await the ice to melt. (brrr.. doesn't sound inviting waiting for spring when you consider the agony of jumping in cold water, but...).

Cheers,
          Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

hairshirt knitter

Thanks Brian,

Yes, even with a wetsuit and neoprene hat, it's going to hurt!

I was always a middle pack swimmer, but made up time on bike and run. I don't have too much doubt that I'll finish it, barring unforeseens, and that's goal 1, even on only a couple of months of swim training. The local tri club start open water sessions in May.

Before that I just want to make sure that when I ramp it up, I don't end up hurting elbows and shoulders by working on the supporting and stabilizing muscles.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

hairshirt knitter

Yaas, I can see one of those would come in handy hereabouts - maybe I could find a few folks who would be interested in chipping in for it, but it's a grand that I don't have, esp. after buying my new bike, and shoes, and wetsuit, and... and...

I was also going to suggest the vasa trainer. They are pretty helpful and common with the high level swim teams. I think you could get the majority of the benefit using stretch cords. When I was a kid and our team didn't have access to a vasa trainer, we did dry land swimming bent at the waist with the cord attached to something in front of you. You can get something akin to the resistance you'll be having in the water, and you're forced to do something during the recovery phase of the strike (when far too many triathletes just flop their arms forward).