Swim Bike Run

wet suit (Read 188 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

I will be doing my first open water triathlon at the beginning of May.  I have done several open water swim practices last year….but it was late in July & August, so water was warm (didn’t need a wet-suit).  Since this triathlon is in beginning of May, the water temp is expected to be in the 60’s…therefore I will need a wet-suit.  My question is whether I should use (rent) a sleeveless or fully sleeved wet-suit.  What are the pro’s and con’s?  Thanks!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

xhristopher

I don't have an answer but I have been thinking about the same question. 

It's understood that a wetsuit will increase your buoyancy and reduce our drag on the swim more than enough to offset the extra transition time to get it off, so it's good for more than just keeping you warm.

Myself, I'm looking to buy/invest in one that will serve me in both May and August. Which one that is? I've no idea.

Sleeveless/sleeved? Full length/shorts? 

If more buoyancy makes you faster wouldn't that indicate that full sleeves would be better for May?

IMKY13 finish!!

Xhristoper;

True, I have heard about the "bouyancy effect".  However, I tend to over-heat just standing around...which is why I am thinking sleeveless.

MTA....BTW, I saw your profile and see where you are from Melrose, MA.  I was born & raised in Newton, MA.  Moved to Nashville about 14 years ago.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

IMKY13 finish!!

I posed this same question on Beginner Triathlete.  These are the responses I got there:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=428853&posts=5&start=1

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

I don't have an answer but I have been thinking about the same question. 

It's understood that a wetsuit will increase your buoyancy and reduce our drag on the swim more than enough to offset the extra transition time to get it off, so it's good for more than just keeping you warm.

Myself, I'm looking to buy/invest in one that will serve me in both May and August. Which one that is? I've no idea.

Sleeveless/sleeved? Full length/shorts? 

If more buoyancy makes you faster wouldn't that indicate that full sleeves would be better for May?

I haven't purchased a wetsuit yet but am hoping to get into one this year. I want to drop a few more lbs which may make me drop a size so I'm holding off for now. When I do pull the trigger on one, my thought was to get a sleevelss first. My upper body is a little larger then your average triathletes so I'm thinking I could really use the extra room and mobility that the sleevelss will give me.

After swimming in that for awhile and hopefully getting down to what I think may be a good racing weight for me, I'll go for a full sleeved wetsuit.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

jdais

1st time I did a sprint I rented a suit.  it was a Profile Design Bionik that chack me a little.  Purchasing one is a large investment.  After that race I bought a Zoot long sleeve.  Tried a bunch of suits at LBS, but the Zoot neckline fit me the best.  Full arm suits provide more buoyancy, but is more restrictive that sleeveless.  Swimming with a wet suit is like swimming with a pool buoy.  It is easier to stay horizontal and keeps you warmer than without.  You do have to get used to your head being cold and learning how to put the suit on without tearing it.

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

i like the short sleeve wetsuit (I have both), i feel like my arms get tired a lot faster in the full sleeved one. I wouldn't worry about how much time you lose in transition taking it off, its very minimal when you compare with how much it helped you in the water. 

Marathonmanleto

Like earlier poster I rented one for first few Tri's.  Purchased a full wetsuit last year.  Love it.  My times have dropped significantly due to the advantage in buoyancy.  As far as fatigue of a full vs. sleeveless you should probably ask yourself what the average water temps will be in your area.  Personally, fatigue is not an issue with the full for me.

Like earlier poster I rented one for first few Tri's.  Purchased a full wetsuit last year.  Love it.  My times have dropped significantly due to the advantage in buoyancy.  As far as fatigue of a full vs. sleeveless you should probably ask yourself what the average water temps will be in your area.  Personally, fatigue is not an issue with the full for me.

I would think that if you go with a sleeveless and the water temp if a little iffy, you could always get some neoprene pullon sleeves and at least have some extra warmth for your arms.

Also, Where's T-Bone's advice?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life