Road to Hopkinton

Hey BQ Wannabes! (Read 675 times)

BQing has been a dream since finishing my first marathon in the lightning quick speed of 4:43 Tongue I thought about trying to go for it this year, but with law school graduation and Bar Review, I knew I couldn't commit properly. Based on my HM PR (ran a couple weeks ago), McMillian puts me at a 3:45 marathon ... Eric's calculator puts me around 3:48. I'm shooting for 3:50-3:55 at Richmond in a couple of weeks. (I ran 4:02:10 last year at MCM --- a result of going out wayyyy too fast) Anyhow, I hope to BQ next year at either Chicago or Steamtown! Glad to be a part of this ambitious group Smile
    2009: BQ?
      Come run Steamtown with me!!! By then I'm hoping to be able to run a 3:30-3:40 marathon which would get you your BQ (if we ran together). Course after todays run, dh asked me if I had decided to do Boston in April instead of The Jersey Marathon in May Shocked

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Jeffrey

Good luck at Richmond! Don't just do the first 3 slow ... do the first 10 slow. That is the lesson I learned from my recent implosion marathon. Smile
        (I ran 4:02:10 last year at MCM --- a result of going out wayyyy too fast)
          Good luck at Richmond! Don't just do the first 3 slow ... do the first 10 slow. That is the lesson I learned from my recent implosion marathon. Smile
          GREAT advice! I had always heard this but assumed that, of course, it didn't apply to ME Tongue ... I hit 13.1 at Marine Corps around 1:50 .... and it got pretty ugly around mile 17 until the finish. I am going to pay lots of attention to Garmie!
          seeEricaRun

Awesome

Oooh, thanks for pointing out Steamtown. I might have to consider that for a fall marathon - especially if I fail at a BQ this winter, which is looking more and more likely, the way my training is going.
              Erica, What race do you have coming up this winter? I have one this coming Sunday and am really getting nervous and excited. Smile

Imminent Catastrophe

... I hit 13.1 at Marine Corps around 1:50 .... and it got pretty ugly around mile 17 until the finish. ...
                Well, that sounds familiar!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Erica, What race do you have coming up this winter? I have one this coming Sunday and am really getting nervous and excited. Smile
                  I was supposed to be hitting the Mobile, AL marathon in January, but my school schedule has messed up travel plans. I'm currently trying to decide on an alternate marathon - Austin on President's Day weekend is looking pretty good. It's hilly, but not extreme, and I'll have a free place to stay. I'll know lots of people so hopefully some of them can make it out to cheer me on. Good luck at your Sunday race!
                    I was supposed to be hitting the Mobile, AL marathon in January, but my school schedule has messed up travel plans. I'm currently trying to decide on an alternate marathon - Austin on President's Day weekend is looking pretty good. It's hilly, but not extreme, and I'll have a free place to stay. I'll know lots of people so hopefully some of them can make it out to cheer me on. Good luck at your Sunday race!
                    Free is always good and with the long weekend President's Day would work out nice. I'm in school too right now and it's tough scheduling races in advance when I don't necessarily know what my test schedule will be. It'll be nice if you have people there that can come out to cheer you on!

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, I missed it by less than 2 minutes Angry Now I'll have to let my foot heal and re-evaluate.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Carl A

Sorry you missed the BQ, but CONGRATS on the PR. You're getting so close! I think that 2008 will bring it all together for you.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Imminent Catastrophe

From the main forum:
                          I ran 3 marathons in 3 months a couple of years ago and I got significantly worse with each one.
                          hey rroush, That makes you eligible for the Marathon Maniacs. It's a fun group, check it out! www.marathonmaniacs.com

Congrats PerfesserR on the PR!!! Two minutes suck but now you KNOW you can do it!
                              From the main forum: hey rroush, That makes you eligible for the Marathon Maniacs. It's a fun group, check it out! www.marathonmaniacs.com
                              I know you weren't talking to me (though Mike aka Bonkin had already told me about this) anyways I finally joined! Talk about some INSANE people there Wink

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

From the main forum: hey rroush, That makes you eligible for the Marathon Maniacs. It's a fun group, check it out! www.marathonmaniacs.com
                                WOAH! Who knew I'd qualify for that group?!?!?!?! Course, I fit into the mere bronze category. Cool! I may have to sign up! Big grin Holy canolis! The titanium level is 52 marathons in ONE YEAR!