UK Ultra Runners

Thames Trot 5th Feb 2011 (Read 2579 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

I know a few have been thinking about it.

I am going to do it.

Pending Mrs Purdey's approval.

Just been contacted by Richard (of this forum) and there is a discussion of either Country to Capital or Thames Trot or both. I may plump for C2C as it is easier for me to travel to and from.

However Thames Trot is not out of the window I just need to look at my diary due to my teaching commitments

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Not out of the question yet although London Ultra 50k is 2 weeks after this one and I had that planned in.

Hmm, maybe all three :-)

As I mentioned in the other thread, I am doing this race now, I feel pretty confident around the 80 - 100km range of runs now having had a experience of that distance in the last year.

The only thing that "worries" me is the flatness of the course which caused me a few problems at C2C and on the track earlier this year. From experience of C2C I know that there will be rises but they are normally short and shallow as you pass under and over bridges.

Tom, from your experience of the canal run you did last year, does the path lead away from the edge of the water onto fields to go cross country to bypass tunnels and other canal furniture?

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

does the path lead away from the edge of the water onto fields to go cross country to bypass tunnels and other canal furniture?

Yes. It definitely won't be as flat as Crawley!! But the lack of variation in stride might still be a (minor) factor.

Yes. It definitely won't be as flat as Crawley!!...

Damn...and there was me hoping it would Big grin

Seriously, that is going to be the challenge for this event and one where I will be definitely looking to adapt my training.

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

Wise. As you know, the flat courses are particularly hard on the legs due to the lack of variation of muscles employed. Flat, long training runs are the order of the day for that one.

I had a look at the past results - wow - that is an impressive course record. I won't be near to that, but will simply hope to run to the best of my ability.

Same as me,

If I look at my various times over that distance I am up for a sub 10 hours and could be even nearer 9 hours as there is no XCR map navigation like C2C.

Will talk about kit at a later date but I will go with my back pack and 500 mls, pack will be very lightweight but just so useful to have the personal stuff.

Have a look at the route

Funnily enough it goes through Goring where the half way mark for Ridgeway was

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

I think that I would probably be aiming for sub 8, but not sure yet. I am very unfit at the moment after a significant lay off. Will have to see what happens over the winter.

I think you could be faster than you think Jerry!

The thing is Tom, as you know I am a persistent little bugger and I will carry on regardless. Look at me at Ridgeway, no way was that course going to beat me but I had damaged my foot quite badly and I continued....stupidly.

I need to learn to be a little bit more disciplined about looking after my body, particularly my feet which I totally ignore. I need to run this by and for myself. I need to get in some good long distance training instead of faffing around with lots of middle distance weekly runs. Now I have run the distance a few times I know I do not have to hold back which I have on several occasions so this could be a good test.

Temperatures will be low, I am not worried about wet as long as the ground is firm which by the look of the Thames Trot course is paved or canal path most of the way

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

I entered today.

I just got a notification from Runner's World TT50 forum...low and behold Purdey is in Big grin

Jerry

I have just entered as well, so that will probably be the first ultra of 2011, unless something interesting comes onto my radar for Jan Smile

I will be looking at going for sub 9hrs based on current fitness and time from C2C last year, Jerry will remember our very quick (well for us anyway) last 400m to dip just under 9hrs, dipping for the line on a 100meter race is one thing but on a 45miler was very funny.

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

I still hold that dip finish in one of my fondest ultra memories...but that cup of tea at the end was good wasn't it?

I think a sub-9 hours is definitely on the cards as we have no navigation per se and a course that seems to be pretty firm under foot

Jerry

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

I'm in!

pity it finishes so far out of London. Otherwise I would have run home! Sub 9? Or sub 8!!!!!!Evil

Are we doing the c2c again?

http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/