Chicago Marathon

The Group (Read 329 times)

Hey everyone! I've been lurking in this group for some time, hoping to see some activity. Unfortunately, it sounds like the group admin had to bail out of this year's race and has been AWOL on RunningAhead. I think the group could be enlivened -- for this year and subsequent years -- with a more active admin. Thoughts I have: 1. Change the name of the group to something straight-forward like "Chicago Marathon." Not as clever as our current name, but people should know this is the group for everyone running the greatest race in Chicago. 2. Spice up the intro page. A few eye-catching graphics on the Home page will let people know this group is well maintained. 3. A little-cross marketing to the other groups, just to be sure that everyone who is running Chicago, or may run it in the future, knows we're here. Nothing spammy; probably limited to a sig link and a post or two to the running forum. As for my "credentials" ... I'm a 16-year resident of Chicago. My house is one block from the Mile 9 marker on the marathon course. This year will be my second Chicago Marathon (last year was my first Chicago and first marathon). I've been on the site for a looooooong time, and I try to make the 2000 Mile group a fun place as an admin there. (Also, Mishka thinks I have a funny avatar Big grin) Anyway, I volunteered myself to eric to be assigned as admin. Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. If anyone thinks I've violated fundamental internet taboos, I apologize, and you can voice your thoughts at http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/6d756e7dfa684079a98926ad5199bff8

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

derek

1. Change the name of the group to something straight-forward like "Chicago Marathon." Not as clever as our current name, but people should know this is the group for everyone running the greatest race in Chicago.
      I'm all for the name change to "Chicago Marathon". Since I don't live in Chicago, I probably will not be running Chicago again anytime soon though. I'll most likely run marathons closer to home, or if I do travel to a marathon, I'll be trying different destinations.

Derek

All business

Glad you stepped up to take the reins. This group definitely needed something. I joined just to see other people working up to Oct. 7. I'll move to the Chicago Marathon group if you want to start it up. I've been living in Chicago for two years. Ran it last year, and hope to beat my time this year. See you out there!

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Thanks guys. Smile I've made the name change, and I'll get working on the front page soon. Right now, though, I've got to go get a run in. Wink

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Jeffrey

Hi. I found this group tonight -- noticed the name of the group! (so maybe the name-change is working). I joined the group to see what other members are up to. DW and I used to live in Chicago and think it is a *great* city. I hope to run the CM in 2008. Maybe.