Circle North

Group runs (Read 975 times)

L Train

I could go 10ish miles as early as you can. Tell me where or when not after 9 and not before 6:30.

I could go 10ish miles as early as you can. Tell me where or when not after 9 and not before 6:30.

Pick a time, I'll be there.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

All right, if Gadman doesn't come back I'll say Y at 8:30.  If someone overrules that I'll check again in the AM.

gadman

I can meet you at the Y at 8:30. Michelle has a run at 6:00 with Carol but I will opt for the later run with you guys

GregM

You early morning runners on Sundays in the winter kill me. As I write this, it's 38 degrees!  So don't tell me it's spring.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

GregM

I can meet you at the Y at 8:30. Michelle has a run at 6:00 with Carol but I will opt for the later run with you guys

Michelle and Carol are crazy.  I could do a sunrise run in the summer.  But now?  No way.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

Murder, averted

It was an ordinary Spring day. A nice day. Cool but not cold. Three friends met to go for a run. They set off, not knowing that danger was waiting quietly, almost invisibly in their path.

The first several miles passed quite pleasantly. They chatted. They jogged. They had no idea what lay in wait for them. They passed eight miles. Nine. Hills came and went. They found themselves jogging down a quiet, rural residential street. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. They'd all done a million runs just like this.

A truck approached from behind. They heard it coming and veered to the side of the road, so as to give it a wide berth. Perfectly normal. The truck approached and passed. A few seconds went by, and the truck slowed. Brake lights went on. The truck stopped. The driver got out and began talking.

The runners weren't sure at first what the driver was saying. He had an accent and was somewhat hard to understand. The issue soon became clear, however. Something had hit the windshield of his rather large truck, and had almost torn his antenna off. A quick survey of the scene revealed a most unpleasant truth.

Someone had strung 20-30 lb. test fishing line across the road, doubled, at roughly chin/neck height. Had the truck not come along when it did, the runners would have run smack into it. Whichever of the three happened to be leading the way at the time would probably have been severely injured, and the other two would likely have fared little better given how close they were together and how completely unexpected such a thing would have been.

There was nothing about this particular location that suggested any sort of reason, however misguided, for such a thing. It was just there.

gadman

Nicely said. Think you missed your calling!

"Beep, Beep!"

Report it to the PD

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

gadman

Thinking if someone had been going by on a Motorcycle at the speed limit it would probably kill them so i went to the PD and explained what happened to an officer. I offered to show him where it happened and maybe he could talk to the people in the nearby homes but he didn't want to do that. said they would increase patrols in the area. Maybe they are busy but I thought that I was wasting my time talking to him.

I did consider it, but after my recent experience with the Sanford P.D. I'm not particularly impressed by their willingness to do anything about it...

(Some punk kid smashed in one of the windows on our building a couple weeks ago. A neighbor got it, too. I called the cops. A cop came, followed his tracks in the fresh, deep snow around the block and directly to the very small (a few units at most) apt. building where the asshole went. And then did absolutely nothing. Just displayed a complete unwillingness to pursue the matter any further. And that was that.)

During WWII, Germans would string piano wire across roads about neck high.  The army put a wire cutter on their jeeps to take care of this problem. Probably some kid watching old war movies and not thinking things thru. Can't imagine someone would sting a line across the road if they could not watch the result, probably tied to his own tree.

We had a window broken one time and the cops knocked on the door of the punks and of course they did not answer. He said that was all he could do. You could see them inside.

[P1320581[2].jpg]

Where was this?

What was I chasing again?

L Train

Where was this?

In WWII, Cremer's house or our run?

On our run it was on Blanchard Road, around the 8 mile mark of our run.