Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers September 2008 (Read 680 times)

Thanks MRPH and whoops again, I didn't mean to jinx that cool weather streak Teresa - it was hot yesterday - I wanted to jump into right into the ocean but thought that would be bad form during the job meeting. Cheffy - you are going to have a great race day. To me racing is like a fast run in the middle of a great party! I usually run alone so just having all of the supportive people around is worth it. Vix - you are fast A

Recalculating...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

88 was the official high in Portland - that may be about the highest temp for the entire summer! Broke a record. Today should be better, which is a good thing since DS has a XC meet late afternoon. Have to make sure I get my Saturday run in early before the ran from Hannah arrives! I told DS he'd better get out of bed early (before noon for a teenager, lol) or he'll be running in a downpour.

Prince of Fatness

Teresa ... I am in the same position you are. I want to switch my LR from Sunday to Saturday. Sunday is the Lehigh Valley Hospital Marathon. The finish is only a couple of minutes from home, so I figured I would go over an watch. The only problem is that Hanna is supposed to hit us Saturday. The worst of it should be in the afternoon, so I am hoping to sneak the run in in the morning. We'll see. We do need the rain here ... it's been dry as a bone the last few weeks.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I hope you get your run in, MrPH! Larry, DS ran a 3.0-mile XC race yesterday. He came in second in 15:36, behind a very fast senior who beat the course record in 15:20. The other two boys on DS's team who are considered faster than DS came in third and fifth, so he was on cloud nine. The official Northeast rankings for boys' XC teams just came out. DS's team isn't in the top ten, but they're listed as one of the "bubble" schools. There were no other schools on the list from Maine or Vermont, and only one in New Hampshire. If the kids stay healthy, it should be a great season. (Can you tell I'm a proud mom?) It's already clouded up, so I need to get moving so I beat the rain!
            You should be proud of your son, rather he's running 18 mins or a speedy 15:36. Isn't it fun to go and cheer them all on. All of the kids on our son's team loved to have us for both XC and track to cheer them on, we were kind of like the team mom and dad. We even got to know a lot of kids on other teams and would cheer them on at times too (especially in the state meets etc.) I'm really happy for your son though, that is a grat time. Sounds like he surprised a few people huh! It's great that his team mate took 3rd and 5th, but what did the rest of the team do? The year my sons were Sr and Jr, the Jr was running #1, the other was usually 3 (sometimes 2 or 4) they had the strongest 1-4 team in the league, the problem was that they had no 5th or 6th man that could get out of the way. So they had some meets where they placed 1-4 and lost. So the team thing is important however at the level your son is running, his times and placements are important. I'm hoping you're keeping a good scrapebook for him.
            I hope you get your run in, MrPH! Larry, DS ran a 3.0-mile XC race yesterday. He came in second in 15:36, behind a very fast senior who beat the course record in 15:20. The other two boys on DS's team who are considered faster than DS came in third and fifth, so he was on cloud nine. The official Northeast rankings for boys' XC teams just came out. DS's team isn't in the top ten, but they're listed as one of the "bubble" schools. There were no other schools on the list from Maine or Vermont, and only one in New Hampshire. If the kids stay healthy, it should be a great season. (Can you tell I'm a proud mom?) It's already clouded up, so I need to get moving so I beat the rain!

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Hello everyone and to the new members who have joined us. Spent most of the week at the beach and like Teresa and others have said, "WHAT" cool weather here in the Northeast. Temps were in the high 80s and was very humid, but on the other hand some of the best beach weather one could ever ask for. Hope everyone is weathering the storm okay, seems like most of us are on the east coast ranging from Florida all the way up to Maine and it seems that the state of Maine has the most members in this little forum.. I'll have to try and catch up on everything else later. Larry

LPH

Prince of Fatness

Got my LR in. Came home drenched, not from rain, but from sweat. It is real muggy out. The rain is just starting as I type this. The marathon I am going to watch tomorrow runs along a canal towpath for a good part of the route. We're supposed to get 3+ inches of rain here. Hopefully the course won't be flooded out. We'll see. At least the rain should be over by race time.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Larry - Yes, it's fun cheering ALL the kids on. I'm going to try make most of the races this year, so I'll get to know the names of the kids on our school's team as well as the others in the state. They all work hard and deserve encouragement! I think his team does have a lot of depth - that's why it's mentioned in the northeast rankings. At yesterday's race, they placed 2,3,5,9,11 (score of 30). The second place team, which is their chief rival, placed 1,6,12,13, and 16 (score of 48). A lot of meets use the top 7 scores - our 6th and 7th guys placed 15th and 17th. OK, I have to get some real work done now! DH has a residential design project he needs help with. Blech - houses are the worst! Complicated and messy. Office buildings are much easier! I hope everyone is staying dry and safe!
                    here's a half a week update, wed: rest thurs: 6 miles fri: one hour walk, stretch class cancelled today: 3 hour run - 66ยบ foggy, humid, definitely hurricane acomin' - I started early to beat the heat now its in the 70s I forgot to charge the Garmin but managed with old Timex. I did run/walk 9 minutes run/ 1 min walk for one hour, then 14/1 and then 19/1. I passed 13.1 at 2:38:15 and shuffled along to 14.1 at 2:53:22 - I'm feeling better about getting under 2:30:00 for my HM (4 weeks out) tomorrow: 4 miles I'm hoping all of your weekend long runs went well.. Happy saturday, A

Recalculating...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ayola, you were smart to run early! I didn't know that 74 could feel that hot. How did you decide what run/walk ratios to use? I need to do that, but can't figure out how to approach it. Good luck breaking 2:30! I don't think I will be able to this first HM. Next year, though!
                        Teresa congratulations to your son anf the rest of his team on a great performance! He is really developing into a good runner. Larry, glad you had great beach weather, I really hate it when you plan a holiday and its cold and rainy, happened to me in the Bahamas once of all places. I lay on a chaise longe by the hotel pool in my only warm clothes drinking rum punch! Great consistency in your training, Mr.PH, every week nearly identical. Must be the sign of someone with experience, and a key to your great times! I am still experimenting, this week I thought I would try Ayola's idea of a 3 hour run, which I have never done before. Took a couple of rest days to build up energy, and made it today! Weird graph for the week, though. Ayola, how did your 3 hour run go? Vixi, I hope all these storms are passing Florida by, and you and your family are safe. I think Hannah is headed north of you, and less powerful, but a terrible toll in Haiti.. Good runs, everyone! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I switched my long run last weekend because I knew I wouldn't have time to run due to family obligations for the day. Kind of screwed me up, but in the long run i know it was good, because my HM is going to be on a Sat so in a couple of weeks I have to adjust my schedule as I taper for the race. Larry
                          Teresa ... I am in the same position you are. I want to switch my LR from Sunday to Saturday. Sunday is the Lehigh Valley Hospital Marathon. The finish is only a couple of minutes from home, so I figured I would go over an watch. The only problem is that Hanna is supposed to hit us Saturday. The worst of it should be in the afternoon, so I am hoping to sneak the run in in the morning. We'll see. We do need the rain here ... it's been dry as a bone the last few weeks.

LPH

Congratulations on finishing your race. Sounds like the day just didn't start off too well. Did you ever find out what happened to the shuttle buses? Sometimes things like that can screw your mind up and "F" up the whole thing. May not have been the run you wanted, but you stuck with it and finished and breaking 2 HRs is nothing to sneeze at. Larry
                            Ran the Oakville Half Marathon on Labour Day Monday..... It totally kicked the sh!t out of me. Didn't feel well trained... did not have a good day. Hope to run better next month at the Toronto Intl Marathon (i'm doing the half) My race report is here. MTA: Edited link for race report.

LPH

My secret meal is before any race is liver and onions two days before the race. My wife happened to make it for me last year before a 5 miler and I went out and smashed my PR. Have had it now for almost every big race and it hasn't failed me yet, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it. No race for me this weekend, so tonight it was a nice 2 3/4 lb fresh lobster right off the boat from R.I. With a nice bottle of Boggle wine some corn on the cob, rice and salad and I made a pig of myself. We'll see how my long run goes tomorrow. Larry
                              MrPH~ I asked this question to the Lady Runners in the Locker Room, but I want to get some Guy Input too. What do you generally eat the days that lead up to the Half? I know you probably don't need to carb load per se, but Since I am looking for any help I can get, What would your eating look like say about 3-4 days before the race and leading up to Race Morning?

LPH

Hope everyone on the east coast is doing well - the hurricane remnants didn't catch up with us until late last night - we were soaked walking home from the pub (super late) and the wind is still blowing pretty hard this afternoon - but no trees down at all. Simon - the 3 hour run (14.1 in 2:53:00) went well - I got to my local finish line with a bit of time left. My legs went rubbery after the walk home. I'm a little tired today, but maybe that's more about the late night, see above... Your 3 hour run was superfast - I'd love to have that as my race pace. Teresa - I used podrunner intervals, it's a dance music podcast I get from itunes. DJ Steveboy is a RA member. Larry - I think that's a perfect pre long run meal. Of course I'm a biased Mainer! Good luck. A

Recalculating...