Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - June 2011 (Read 482 times)

I need to look into cross training too.  Either a bike or a gym membership over winter.  I am really struggling to do 5 runs a week, the old legs are only just hanging on and I fear injury.  I am not a swimmer unfortunately.  A job for this weekend to look into options.  I am not going to do any road running this weekend - only trails

I know exactly the feeling you describe. Biking is great-a much more direct benefit to running than swimming. It's also possible to do it for much longer than running, which is great for cardio and also weight loss. However, I highly recommend you consider learning to swim. In addition to the usual spiel about the benefits of swimming, it almost seems like an hour or so in the pool undoes the old man feeling I can get from running-especially in my hips-which then makes subsequent runs better. I never feel worse getting out of the pool than I did going in, which, despite my love for it, I cannot say about running. I swim more for that feeling than out of any love of the act itself. So, I would say biking has a more direct benefit to my running, but swimming's indirect benefits are invaluable to me.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My go-to for crosstraining is yoga. It doesn't require a ton of equipment and I can do yoga at home. I find it really complements my running, both in terms of core strength and stretching out. I'm going to try to make sure I do yoga at least once a week, if not twice a week during this training cycle I'm going into right now. Smile

(I don't know how to swim.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

132km for me after 16 days this month Big grin

I am having tomorrow off and only running a few kms on trail on saturday

need to freshen up, ive been giving the body a hammering lately and although not injured I feel a little weary!!

even letting myself enjoy some chardonnay tonight Shocked

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
        Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Congratulations on the 10k PR, Meg!

I have been doing more biking recently, mostly because I enjoy it, but given the opportunity I also like swimming. Probably any activity from tennis to soccer to gardening has its benefits to overall health. Many recommend yoga and swimming as good complementary activities to running.

Vino, trail running must be great training because of the hills and uneven terrain, got to strengthen your ankles and improve balance.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

an amazing likeness

On Sunday I ran a 10K, my first race since I've started getting really consistent with my running, sticking to a longer Sunday run and doing a hill run once a week. It paid off. I went from a PR of 1:08:53 (October 2009) to a new PR of 1:06:21. I went out faster than I normally would and didn't realize it until the first mile was done. This might be the first race I've ever really pushed that hard. It hurt in the second half, but I was really happy with how it went. This definitely gives me confidence going into half training. Smile

Meg,

Personally, I find the 10K as a great test race for half marathons. 10 milers are not all that common (nor are 10Ks...sadly), and once you're out to 10mi you really are running close to your 1/2 effort level anyway.

You can usually take your 10K pace and add something (like maybe 10 or 15 sec/mile) and use that as your starting pace for planning your half.  That is, if you've built the base to run the 13.1 and are looking for the pace/speed component.

I like the structure of Hidgon's plans (caveat...I've only used his marathon plan).  The way he has you do your longer runs on legs tired from a harder, faster run the day before is something that I've added to my normal, less structured week-in, week-out running.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Loves the outdoors

I have my second half on Sunday. I have trained hard and have a much better base than my previous half marathon but I'm freaking out still Sad I have caught a cold, a cold with a chesty cough. I've taken it ridiculously easy for the last 2 weeks to try and chase my cold/cough away but it is still here. I felt positive about smashing my soft PB, but now I just don't know. My recovery jogs have had too high of a HR for the effort. Wah! I have no idea what pace to attempt due to my stupid cold.  [I know I just have to run to effort and do what I can, but I' snippy about the whole thing and needed a wee vent]

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

an amazing likeness

I have my second half on Sunday. I have trained hard and have a much better base than my previous half marathon but I'm freaking out still Sad I have caught a cold, a cold with a chesty cough. I've taken it ridiculously easy for the last 2 weeks to try and chase my cold/cough away but it is still here. I felt positive about smashing my soft PB, but now I just don't know. My recovery jogs have had too high of a HR for the effort. Wah! I have no idea what pace to attempt due to my stupid cold.  [I know I just have to run to effort and do what I can, but I' snippy about the whole thing and needed a wee vent]

Oh dear..that's not good.  Usually with a sinus / head cold, once you run the 'snot' out in the first few miles you can feel ok, but the congested chest isn't something I can run through.

But...one of my favorite things about half marathons over marathons is that you can ramp up for the next one quickly and use the fitness base you've got built now.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Good luck, NZrun!

The good news is that the fitness you worked hard to build up will not erode at all while you have had the cold. Just a taper, so if you are ok on race day you should do well.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

NZ-

I hope you feel better and good luck. I'm not a doctor, but what I've read about the rule of thumb for running with a cold: if it is in your head, run, if it is in your chest, don't exercise at all. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm thinking about you, NZ. Be smart about it and take care of you.

There are other races if you really don't feel you have your health on your side on race morning.

But if you do race, I hope it's better than you expect!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Loves the outdoors

Thanks everyone Smile I raced. It was appalling weather. Rain and strong winds. My cough wasn't too bad in the end and I don't know how much it actually affected me, apart from being a bit run down. I ran conservatively today as I was still concerned about how I would go. I ran pretty strongly the entire way and although I did slow in the final 6km, much of that was into a pretty impressive wind so I'm actually very pleased with how little I slowed given the conditions. I was tired at the end but not trashed and I think given a better lead up and better weather I've definitely got a faster time in me. It was great to avoid walking which happened in my last half marathon. Result by Garmin 2:29:01  So that's a PB of almost 4 mins.

As is typical in all my races, near the end I decided never to enter another race again. 5 hours later as I'm typing this I think I'll do another half in September Smile

Loves the outdoors

NZ-

I hope you feel better and good luck. I'm not a doctor, but what I've read about the rule of thumb for running with a cold: if it is in your head, run, if it is in your chest, don't exercise at all. 

Yeah, I've heard this too and I have been concerned which is why I really cut back my running. I guess I decided that although I am bringing up rubbish with my cough, I'm not wheezing or rattly so I thought I'd do the typical runner thing and carry on. 

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

NZ congrats on getting through!  I saw something on TV about someone running your run today. Weather looked crap..oh well it is wellington I suppose Big grin

I ran a bit today on trails, it absolutely chucked it down so about 5km running and some walking too (or was it swimming). raining too hard to run hehe

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                            Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Thanks everyone Smile I raced. It was appalling weather. Rain and strong winds. My cough wasn't too bad in the end and I don't know how much it actually affected me, apart from being a bit run down. I ran conservatively today as I was still concerned about how I would go. I ran pretty strongly the entire way and although I did slow in the final 6km, much of that was into a pretty impressive wind so I'm actually very pleased with how little I slowed given the conditions. I was tired at the end but not trashed and I think given a better lead up and better weather I've definitely got a faster time in me. It was great to avoid walking which happened in my last half marathon. Result by Garmin 2:29:01  So that's a PB of almost 4 mins.

As is typical in all my races, near the end I decided never to enter another race again. 5 hours later as I'm typing this I think I'll do another half in September Smile

Congrats on the PR-4 minutes is a huge improvement, especially considering how you felt. Definitely go for another in three months.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

4 minutes is huge! It sounds like your old PB was somewhere close to my half time from my race last fall. I'd love to cut 4 minutes off that this fall! Now give your body some rest time to get rid of that cough. Way to go!

Half Fanatic #9292.