Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathoners--July 2008 (Read 593 times)

Prince of Fatness

The 10 miles felt good, this is the third time in the last month going at leats 10. I'm more worried about keeping up with the speed work, that's why I have covered 10 miles already with 11 weeks to go. I ran a 3 mile tempo last night at 8:14 pace which felt good, so I'm feeling good about my training thus far as long as I don't over do it.
    Phillip ... Don't worry too much about the speed work. Mileage is the foundation, and the long run is the most important run. That's the one you don't want to slack on. Keep getting those 10 milers in and you'll be fine. Any speed work you do make sure you include 10-15 minutes each for warm up and cool down. Where in NJ are you from, and what HM are you running? I live in the Phillipsburg area.

Not at it at all. 

I'm in Cranford in Union County and am going to run the Newport Liberty HM in Jersy City in September. I'm definetly going to keep up with the 10+ milers, I have scheduled to run them every week except my cut back weeks and the week before the half. I am planning on maxing out around 14 mile for my long run before the HM, I don't want to increase my distances too much now. As for the speed work I have been including a 1 mile warm up and at least 1 mile for the cool down, depending on how far I am from home after my workout.

Prince of Fatness

I think I have heard of that race. I don't do too many races towards the city. The Lehigh Valley in PA has a lot of races so I end up doing most of my racing there since it is close by. Anyway, it looks like you have a good plan. Good luck with your training and race.

Not at it at all. 

Yeah, I did 4 miles on Monday night and felt good. I took last night off for several reasons, but mostly because I was house painting yesterday and up and down ladder all day, so I felt my legs already had a work out and didn't want to push it. I'm meeting up with someone at the track tonight, but think I'll skip speed workout and just do laps again. Larry
          Did you get any more miles in Larry?

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Ringmaster

Hey, all. I'll tell you, I've been having a hard time finding a training schedule I like. Last time I followed a modified Higdon novice schedule, running one 13.1 run and a 14-miler. This time, though, my long runs are up to 15 miles, my weekly mileage is higher, and most of the HM training plans have me running both shorter daily and long runs. I'm not sure I want to do that. As it is I'm doing the opposite, running longer daily runs to support my longer long runs, just because I like the distance. Call me pigheaded. Roll eyes I know I need to run more speedwork. I like tempo runs but I hate intervals. I guess I should motivate myself to run them by reminding myself how much it'll stink if my failure to do them ends up costing me a PR, huh? Lots more experienced and faster runners in this group, so I'm putting myself in the hot seat. My log is open. Any coaching advice? I'm planning to run 13.1 in October as a training run (that's a virtual race), but my target race is November 16. I'm trying to break 2:02. Breaking two hours would be a dream.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Hi VixiDu your log looks great especially the mileage. If you just keep doing what you're doing you should break a 2:00 half. Remember you're only training for a half, don't burnout... 1) Don't go longer than a 10 mile long run every week, use a 10 mile long run every other week, the others you can go up 16 miles. You really don't need to go more than 14 but if you feel the need, go for 15 or 16. 2) Do a 8 mile run at about a 9:30 pace either 3 days before or 3 days after your weekly long run. 3) Do a 3-4 mile tempo run every other week at about your desired half marathon pace of 9:05-9:10. 4) The other runs should be easy, no longer than 5- 6 miles at slower than 10:10 pace. Stay inury free & you will do great!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Excellent advice Sarge..... I think I shall follow this also, this sounds Ideally what I have planned for myself. My main goal at this point is to stay injury free, running lots of slow base miles with little to no speed work. I can't avoid the hills though, my long run has a large long hill in it and I run it anywhere from 3-5 times in my long runs.... I think that is all the hill workouts I need. I just want to finish this race, not really race it.... that's next year to blow the doors off my time this year..... Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Prince of Fatness

VixiDu ... You're still 4 months away from the race, so there's plenty of time. I don't think you want to lower your mileage just to fit a plan. You want to come up with a plan that matches your fitness level. You've been running some solid mileage the last couple of months. I think you could maintain this until mid - late September. To keep motivated you could do things like fast finish an occasional long run, throw some strides into a few runs, or find a 5 or 10K race. A race might be good because you can see where you are and possibly adjust training paces. From late September to early November you can add some quality work. There's no rule saying that you must do intervals, or any other workout for that matter. I just did tempos, and was happy with those. Others do intervals and are just as happy. My key workout was 20 minutes easy - 35 to 45 minutes tempo - 20 minutes easy. You definitely want to get to the starting line healthy as Sarge says. But you also want to try to peak at the right time. That can be tricky, and it may take a couple races before you find out what works best for you.

Not at it at all. 

Did a nice 5 miles last night in warm weather, but not really hot. A friend is turning 50 today, so going out for dinner etc. and missing my run today. (I always seems to have some excuse!) Well done with the consistent mileage, Vixi, and for what my opinion is worth, I agree with MrPH (Coach!) on the speedwork. Did anyone read about the Badwater? Unbelievable that people would do that to themselves, but I must admit my admiration for their determination. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Simon, I didn't hear about the "badwater" would you elaborate on it. Vixidu, sounds to me like you are way ahead of plan. So my vote on it would be to stay the course you're on, but don't overdue yourself so that you end up injured. I think Sarge and Mr P's advice sounded pretty sound to me. Cheffy, you still away or have you returned home? As for my injury, I didn't run last night (two nights off now) Walking into work yesterday, my leg was really hurting. I think it was all of that up and down the ladder house painting on Tuesday that did me in. But it feel better today, so I'll give it an easy run and keep it to 3 or 4 miles still. Larry

LPH

Hey, Larry, rest that leg, don't make it worse. The Badwater is a 135 mile ultramarathon through Death Valley (imagine the heat at this time of year!) then part way up Mt. WHitney. The time allowed for finishing is 60 hours, though the fastest competitors can do it in under 30 hours. The really hard cases sometimes do a bicycle race of 500 miles 3 weeks later! I seriously think there must be something a bit odd about some of these people, but again, i have great respect for their athleticism and endurance. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Simon, I didn't hear about the "badwater" would you elaborate on it. Vixidu, sounds to me like you are way ahead of plan. So my vote on it would be to stay the course you're on, but don't overdue yourself so that you end up injured. I think Sarge and Mr P's advice sounded pretty sound to me. Cheffy, you still away or have you returned home? As for my injury, I didn't run last night (two nights off now) Walking into work yesterday, my leg was really hurting. I think it was all of that up and down the ladder house painting on Tuesday that did me in. But it feel better today, so I'll give it an easy run and keep it to 3 or 4 miles still. Larry
                          Hi Larry, Still AWAY till Saturday, and I can't wait to get home.... too much going on in my real life, and I miss running so much...... Dreadmills suck. I gutted out 3 miles the other morning, and for the life of me, I don't understand why hotels think it's a good idea to have the fitness center located next to the INDOOR pool and INDOOR sauna/whirlpool...... I soaked my running tech fabrics in ways they didn not even think were possible.... UGH. I am taking this as a rest week, and hopefully my long on Sunday will be better for it.... Take care of that leg you.... poor thing! Injuries are really just a nag aren't they? and NO WAY to rush them.... Take Care!

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Cheffy, OMG, I know what you mean about hotels that do that. The humidity is so awful and I also hate the chlorine smell. I wonder what effect all that humidity has on the equipment? I wonder if that's why I find so much of it broken? I was suppose to go to the track last night to work out with somebody, but since I didn't run on Tuesday or Wednesday, I didn't want to be a spectator on the track and due to the heat and humidity, didn't want to put in some miles on the track. So I cancelled that and went to my usually Rail to Trails spot where there is lots of shade. I started out only planning on 3 miles, but I felt really good and the leg felt good and I had a nice easy pace going, I ended up doing 5 miles at a 8 min pace. The leg feels good and my body feels good to get a real run in, even though it's a little slow for me. I've got to keep forcing myself to keep the pace down as my legs want to stretch and take off. I'm still not going to do any hard or fast miles for at least another week. Since I have no races coming up until a 5M on Aug 10th, I have no hurry as long as I can run and put in some base miles. Thanks everyone for continuing to support me and please keep reminding me to "TAKE IT EASY". Larry

LPH

Prince of Fatness

Hey Larry, remember to take it easy. Heh.

Not at it at all. 

Taking tonight off. Actually I almost never run on Friday night, it's the one night of the week that I make sure to spend with the wife. Typically we go out to eat, have a nice bottle of wine and maybe a cocktail or two. . So is that taking it easy enough? Larry
                                Hey Larry, remember to take it easy. Heh.

LPH