Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - August 2011 (Read 822 times)

Matt - still no decision.  If it was just me I'd be going, but still waiting to find out if bf's achilles injury is likely to hold up to the racing.  He came through Wellington Champs pretty well, and is likely to run National Champs next weekend but we won't make a final decision until after National Relays (3 weeks time - a big race for both of us!)

Well done on surviving your half.  Its snowing here today - weird to be talking about such heat when thats what I can see out of the window.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Mandy, I saw the footage on the news of the snow in NZ. Just craziness!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Ran 8kms on Sunday, 3 slow for warm up then 2 fast (9:07) then 3 slow.

The fast ones represent approximately 10k pace, if I was really fit!

Saw the snow in Wellington, very unusual I understand, especially that much snow.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

First time in 40 years it snowed at sea level in Wellington.  First time in 80 years it snowed in the Auckland CBD.  

The kids think it is hilarious.  The zoo animals rather less so.  Personally I quite enjoyed a run in the snow (reminds me of the UK) but kind of over it now.

an amazing likeness

First time in 40 years it snowed at sea level in Wellington.  First time in 80 years it snowed in the Auckland CBD.  

The kids think it is hilarious.  The zoo animals rather less so.  Personally I quite enjoyed a run in the snow (reminds me of the UK) but kind of over it now.

So maybe that penguin who paddled all the way up there from Antarctica a few months ago knew what he was doing and wasn't all disoriented like they accused him of being...?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Yes snowed at my kids school yesterday in Auckland. Cold here today but still managed a nice 10km run after work today in 4oC

Managed a 22km 'fun run' style trail run with the kids on Sunday.  I ditched the half marathon and did this free option instead. Here is a video I made of it Big grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq7_T-6uTD0

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
              Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

So maybe that penguin who paddled all the way up there from Antarctica a few months ago knew what he was doing and wasn't all disoriented like they accused him of being...?

Actually he thought it was too cold and stayed inside yesterday.  Sensible penguin.

Long time no post for me....

It sounds like most everyone's running is going well, especially those in NZ!

My last few months have not been great, but have picked it up again. I took a random week off in June followed by a lazy two weeks off in July. I've pretty much decided that triathlons are not for me-I always feel guilty that I'm not biking and that actually makes me lazy. I love to run and I love to swim, so I'm going to leave it at that and do the other random things I want to do. 

Other than that, I'm finally dropping the extra weight I've been carrying for too long and running seems to be turning a corner-I suspect those two are intimately related. My last couple of years of running have generally been very good, but I've known that I wouldn't get faster at my high weight.

I'll finally learn what this heat thing is you all talk about-I'll be in Texas briefly this week. If I do have time for a run, it will probably be on a treadmill.

I'm still in Iceland and the trip has been great but running - not so much. I've got great excuses - the relentless wind, doing hours of hiking which is tearing up my knees, etc... but I'm looking forward to getting home so I can pick up my training in a big way. I hope you are all running smoothly!

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I'm still in Iceland and the trip has been great but running - not so much. I've got great excuses - the relentless wind, doing hours of hiking which is tearing up my knees, etc... but I'm looking forward to getting home so I can pick up my training in a big way. I hope you are all running smoothly!

I'd love to visit iceland. Some similarities to NZ.  Do you find it expensive there or is it different since they went broke?  But...before I leave home I have to visit fiordland! still never have donw it...what a disgrace for a kiwi!

Just 5km tonight shortest run for ages, felt like a warmup but hey.  Had a training and nutrition seminar.  Back into 2x 10km over next 2 days then 31km on Saturday, trail on Sunday.  Weather is looking great for the next week, cold and clear so should be easy clocking up some miles.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Slack week this week for me - only 12 miles. Post race blues or some other random excuse! Wink

I have 15 weeks to my Marathon and I am way behind the likes of vino when it comes to preparation.

I am going to follow Higdon's Intermediate 1 Marathon training program, starting Monday.

I'm starting at week 4 because... If I wanted to start at week 1 I should have started 3 weeks ago!

I had 2 other races planned for the fall and they actually line up quite well with the program. I have a 20k in "week 7" when the plan calls for a 14 mile long run (meh, 1.6 Miles short is close enough) & I have a HM in week 10, so I just swapped weeks 9 & 10 in the program.

The distances don't give me anywhere near as much concern as the requirement to run 5 times a week. I'm a 4 times a week guy at best... that part will not be an easy adjustment. Biggest focus for me is actually going to be on getting enough sleep so I can get up and get these runs in before I get lost in the day!

Hope everyone else's Augusts are going well?

2017 Goals
                        1) Run more than 231 miles
                        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Just finished my week as planned 80km

Was very pleased with my 30.6km on Saturday knocking it off in exactly 2:35.

I did a more "race pace" run just inching up the cadence a bit and still found I had gas in the tank at the end. Seems at this stage as if my race plan will be to target 50 minute 10km's for the first 30km and then see what i can do (though i still have 10 weeks to go to refine plans)

Next long run will drop the pace back a notch

Hope everyone is doing well with their training

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I had a rough 5 mile yesterday; I felt sluggish. Today, I went out for my LSD (11 miles) and, while I was tired in the last mile, it was a really good run. It's 3 weeks to race day for me.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

So far a very fortunate and productive August. Happy with the miles, the workouts and the body's response. A bit of a curveball traveling for work this week, but should be able to get in what I need to early morning. Six weeks to go, and feeling focused and good - just hoping to keep up good luck and hard work.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

an amazing likeness

MattJ -- the Hidgon plans seem to be pretty proven for delivering, so recommend you do what you can to follow the intent if not the exact miles. Especially the Sat run being at race pace leading into the Sunday long run.  If you need to, keep in mind that Hal gives the OK to play around with the Mon and Wed workouts as needed to accommodate life.  I can not fathom how you train in that heat and humidity.

Meg -- The 11 felt ok...that's excellent..a great sign that you're getting payback from all your work.

I hit 1,500 miles for the year early the month and I'm working towards a mid-Oct marathon and starting to feel a bit beat up, probably as much mentally as physically.  My overall mileage isn't all that different from prior months, but for some reason I'm dragging a bit.  Actually had a run last Sunday where I just could not run another step after about 15.5 miles....don't know if it was physical or mental.  I could walk, but my legs would not run.  Oh well, it happens some times.

Looking forward to next month as the fall weather sets in, a couple races planned to fill the time between now and Oct.  I always hate the last few weeks leading into a big race...that fear of getting sick, or twisting an ankle, or pulling up lame...anything that will throw all that training away. That's why I like 1/2 marathons the best...they are a challenge of endurance and training, but you can recovery in a week or two and try again.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.