Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - October 2011 (Read 517 times)

Matt-congrats on the 1000 miles. I'm still hoping to hit that this year for the first time.

My training has been derailed by life events (though good ones). September ended great and I was getting in a lot of running, despite the fact that I was nearly constantly on the road. By the beginning of October that wore me down and recently I've moved from LA to the SF Bay area for a job (well, I just moved into an apartment today after 2 weeks in a hotel). I've also been working and drinking way too much. All of that equals not enough running. My new place, though, appears to be in a great location for running. The SF Bay Trail is .25 miles from my door, so I can run what I think is an unlimited distance up and down the bay on a nice bike path, all while watching planes take off and land. There's also a wooded trail, but I don't know where it is or how far from here, yet.

Welcome to John and Kathy. I hope you like the half as much as I do-it's the perfect distance!

an amazing likeness

Vino -- Last week, and just a few days to go, you are almost there! 

I'd take that run planned for Friday th 28th off your calendar and use that day to (1) onboard carbs, (2) stay off your feet, and (3) get your best night's sleep.  You should just plan that you probably wont sleep well Saturday night and anything you eat Saturday after early evening should be light.

Go get 'em.  Eat those KMs up like you're a pacman!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Loves the outdoors

Vino - Good luck! I will be thinking of you on the day. I have a friend who is entered for her first marathon for Auckland too.

Milktruck - Congratulations - I am really impressed with your spirit, coming back to running from such a serious accident. I also stop and walk across every street during my runs due to your story.

redrunner - enjoy finding your new running routes. It sounds like a great spot.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Vino -- Last week, and just a few days to go, you are almost there! 

I'd take that run planned for Friday th 28th off your calendar and use that day to (1) onboard carbs, (2) stay off your feet, and (3) get your best night's sleep.  You should just plan that you probably wont sleep well Saturday night and anything you eat Saturday after early evening should be light.

Go get 'em.  Eat those KMs up like you're a pacman!

Thanks

Im running today instead of friday as i took yesterday off - skipped my planned 10km after a good solid 3x runs over the long weekend

so jog 10km today, tomorrow off, friday off, sat 5km then race sunday

weather looking pretty good at this stage for the big day

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
          Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

an amazing likeness

so jog 10km today, tomorrow off, friday off, sat 5km then race sunday

weather looking pretty good at this stage for the big day

Dear Kiwi -- Keep the horse in the barn....make sure that Sat 5KM is short and easy...like 90 - 120 secs / mile (sorry, I can't do it KM) slower than marathon pace. 

No warmup running on Sunday other than a few hundred meters of light jogging to make sure the shoes and gear feel right....start slower than target pace by 20 - 30 seconds and use the first few KM to warmup.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

10km at lunch today felt so good. 53 mins which is approx my target first 10km. i wish i coulda just run the marathon today!

i will post my plan but key is to do first 10km slow....about 5:20 pace and then climb into it on the middle 20km when i hit the flat

my sat 5km may only be 3 or 4, just to keeps legs interested. i find a little outing the day before a run avoids the "concrete feet" feeling you often get at the start of a race

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

an amazing likeness

Glanced at world clock web site a few moments ago and it tells me that it is about 0730 Saturday morning in Auckland. One day to go Vinodrinker!

Go Craig !

(seriously though...a 0610 start for your marathon, that's ungodly early!  I'd have to just stay up overnight to make that...)

Finally reached 1,000kms for this year, and very close to 100 miles for the month, plus I have done a little cross training.

I hope to build up from here!

Have a great race Vino!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Glanced at world clock web site a few moments ago and it tells me that it is about 0730 Saturday morning in Auckland. One day to go Vinodrinker!

Go Craig !

(seriously though...a 0610 start for your marathon, that's ungodly early!  I'd have to just stay up overnight to make that...)

Yip I gotta get up about 3:30am, have breakfast, get organised. Drive into town about 4:15am, park, walk to waterfront, queue for the ferry before 5:00am, take ferry to Devonport, get to start line.

I'm not an early person so is gonna be a challenge but at least most of the run is done before it warms up too much

I will be snoozing all afternoon and get what sleep I can tonight.

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

You'll rock it, Craig! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Go Craig! Your international cheer squad is rooting for you!

Nice work Simon! Solid month.

As far as training goes for me - I have my first 20 miler tomorrow. It's going to be a l-o-o-o-n-g day! Smile

Have a good weekend y'all

2017 Goals
                        1) Run more than 231 miles
                        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

HappyFeat

The Spooky 12K trail race was today. It was loads of fun - hilly but not too bad. The rain held off and the trail was not very muddy either due to the forest canopy. The last mile was a little "technical" - narrow, twisty, short up/downs, leaf-covered surface roots laying in wait - one tripped me, but I didn't fall.  My finish time was 1:15  Since I had no expectation of how I'd do, I'm quite happy with that. I would need to do some more hill work to be able to run any faster on that course. I did waste some time (on the clock) at one point standing around wondering which way to go when the arrows pointed to the right, but someone had blocked that way with a large tree limb. I decided to go to the left and it turned out to be correct. I didn't win any awards, but in the bib number drawing, I got a black Adidas running cap with bright blue trim.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Good stuff, HappyFeat! Sounds like an interesting race!

I'm struggling with off season running these days and mojo is low. Had a bad cold for about 2 weeks and it's hard getting back into a groove after that.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

HappyFeat

Meg, without a race goal, do you set weekly or monthly goals of any kind? For myself, I've set a goal of 30 mpw through the end of December. It was not easily done last week since I wanted to take 2 days off before this trail race; but my goal motivated me to see it through.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I have set some goals for weekly and still thinking on whether I want to set a monthly one for November. This is the real transition time weather-wise here so I could set my monthly mileage based on getting outside and then have too much snow to do it. I'm thinking on it though. A week at a time right now. I've been increasing week over week and I'd like to keep doing that for a few weeks yet.

Half Fanatic #9292.