Half Marathon Trainers

redleaf's training thread (Read 83 times)

redleaf

Thanks A. Ankle is all good now. It was sore a few days after my 15k race - not from the race but from the fair the next day! But it started the sort of spiral I find myself getting into still between resting / running / being lazy.

i think I'll run easy tonight and tomorrow then easy and long Sunday. Then follow the schedule for the rest of the week.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

redleaf

Okey dokes - finishing up the on paper part of the training plan for the Dec 31 / Jan 1 halves.

It's about 11 weeks starting on Monday (a week today). So when would you look for races as part of the prep? Most of what I'll be able to find here I think are 10ks and maybe, if I'm lucky, a 15k. How early in the plan would you do one? How late?

Thanks!

HF #4362

hog4life

Maybe the half way point, second or third week of Nov.

an amazing likeness

Well...in quickly looking at your training plan as you've got it penciled in right now, you could take any of those weeks which has a 5K or 10K race you'd want to enter and just change the interval or tempo you might have earlier in the week to an easy run, and then run the race on the weekend for your speed work.

I think the best thing you could do is run more easy miles overall...and if racing makes you take a few extra days off to recover post race, that's a trade-off that I'd think twice about making.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cyberic

My personal perception on training is to run as much as I can. I don't follow strict training plans, but I run. I give my body one day per week of complete rest from sports, but other than that day per week or the days I play hockey, I run the most I can.  Once out of every two or three runs I go for a hard run. Either long or sustained "fast" pace or intervals. Whatever I feel like doing or have time for. But if I don't feel like doing the hard run, I still go out and run easy, but run. I run as much as my body can handle or my spare time permits me. Right now if my body could handle more, I would run more. I think the best way to gain running efficiency is by running in my opinion.

I'm not giving advice here redleaf, as all the champions follow training plans... they know better than me...  I'm just sharing what I do.

redleaf

Thanks all - and yea, my biggest problem is still all mental. Running is still work to me and I have to get out of that mindset.

And yep - more time on my feet! Definitely.

Thanks. I'll try and keep this updated weekly/bi-weekly. I'll be updating my blog regularly again too.

HF #4362

an amazing likeness

bump...

How are your doing Lisa?  Getting back into the groove a bit?

redleaf

bump...

How are your doing Lisa?  Getting back into the groove a bit?

Thanks for checking up on me Smile I've been a little quiet in here because I haven't been running much BUT I made up a two month "not a training plan" training plan concentrating more on losing a bit of my excess weight. I started it on Sunday with yoga and I went spinning yesterday. My first run will be this evening - just a short 45 minutes or so. I think I've got it so I run 4 times I week from 45 to 90 minutes. Not sure how I'll do it: all 10:1s? all just run? split somehow? I dunno yet. OH AND my hamstring feels much better -- unless I squat too much or during this one dangling pose in yoga the other day, which I then modified so my legs weren't locked and it was fine.

My goals are (a) work on my consistency (b) do a wide variety of things (c) get healthier/lose weight. I gotta do something as I keep bouncing around 195-205 and I really should be 30 pounds lighter.

I think people in my groups can see all my stuff so you can go check it out. Any input would be appreciated. The end of the 2 months coincides with 16 weeks from the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront half that I'm doing. Then I think I'll try the Ryan Hall plan again Mitch sent me before. I really liked the track speed work (weird).

HF #4362

redleaf

So far this week (week of Monday 26 May)

Monday - 6:30 am spinning

Tuesday - rest (was supposed to run) - my folks came home from vacation way earlier than expected so the toddler went a bit crazy and my dad brought wine to share. Lesson learned - avoid sleeping in

Wednesday - 6:00 a, 5.5km run - nice lovely cool morning; I actually felt fast Smile

Thursday - 6:00 pm spinning with a friend. Different instructor than monday mornings. I thought I was gonna die!

Friday -  yippie - it was a bit of a rush today but I got about 25 minutes in the pool. I'm sure I can do 30 from now on. Especially on Fridays in the summer, work won't mind too much if I'm out for a little over an hour once a week. 33 lengths which works out to 3/8 of a mile (or 0.60 km). So my first goal will be 44 lengths in 30 minutes. I wonder how long it'll take me to get there.

Saturday - ended up being a rest day

Sunday - 1:20 or thereabouts for 10.25km

Planned: (written Friday morning)

Friday - I'm going to see how realistic it is to go to the local pool from work at lunch. I'm hoping to be in the water 30 minutes although today I don't think I'll do much more than length - stretch - length - stretch etc. I hope it works though timing wise as I'd love to do it once a week. It's okay if I'm gone a little more than an hour but not like an hour and a half or anything.

Saturday - short run (short runs = 45-60 minutes)

Sunday - short run (I'm aiming for an hour this Sunday and then will bounce between 1:30 and 2 hours till the end of June)

HF #4362

redleaf

Week of June 2:

Monday - spinning at 6:30 am

Tuesday - running (45 minutes or thereabouts) also I really have to add in my little circuit training that the PT gave me

Wednesday - spinning after work

Thursday - running (45-60 minutes); circuit

Friday - lunch time swim

Saturday - running (45-60 minutes); circuit (we'll see how this goes; my 3-year-old nephew is in town)

Sunday - 5k fundraising race I do every year. Pretty sure I'm just going to do it to finish this year Smile

HF #4362

an amazing likeness

...Start counting the miles in months, get weary, get the lines on your face, the aches in your joints. Drink coffee like its your job. You run today, every day, unconcerned whether it might take 9 months or it might take 5 years or it might take 10 years. It rains on you. The sun burns your face. The running gets all mixed up with the rest of your life, even attached to the heart of your being. People look at you sorta funny and wonder if you are sick. You walk up stairs at your job and you feel your muscles like cords, taught and straining, tired and strong. Even your heart sometimes feels tired, walloping away in that bird-chest...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Tell everyone the results of your 5K, Lisa!!!!  Smile

Come on Lisa, you know they are dying to know!!!!!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

redleaf

Hahaha I'm guessing not so much actually. I'll write something as soon as I get to work - writing on my phone never works well

HF #4362

redleaf

Okay here goes. I'll try to be short - and, knowing me, I will fail miserably.

Every year for as long as I can remember I've volunteered at a race that raises money for long-term care homes in Toronto. My mom works in the field. A few years back I started running it too.

Saturday night my 3-year-old nephew spent the night with us. So he and Q were slightly wound up. H won't go to sleep alone so I took him on while my husband got Q to bed. Except Q really wanted to sleep with H and H didn't want him to so Toby (my husband) got him to cheer up by giving him the treat of sleeping in out bed. Sigh. So a crappy night sleep had by all EXCEPT the three year olds.

Up and out of the house by 6 am for a 9:30 am race. Ah the joys of running the "help desk."

Got to the race. Realized I forgot my hat, sunglasses and garmin. (Completely forgot about the RA app until about a 1/2 km into the race.)

Race is in downtown Toronto so I can picture it all in my head. Except of course I don't know how long any part is. So my brain says "just run. first part is gentle uphill for maybe almost half the race so just run to the turn. Try not to walk till the turn." Somehow I managed that. Walked and drank a little as I turned from north to east. It's flat for a little bit then a turn south and a similar gentle downhill back on another major street. So I thought of MT saying "5ks hurt" and convinced myself to run just a bit faster to the next light, then, well, the next light was only two more blocks, and then it was, well, I'm almost at the turn west so I can't stop running on the 'easy' (downhill) part and then you turn and you can see the finish from about 3/4 of a km away so I just said screw it.

31:20 official time. 1:35 faster than my PR in March Smile

HF #4362