A Mile A Day

Streak is getting close to ending (Read 157 times)

jeffdonahue

I think my streak may be ending.  I started playing soccer this Fall on an over-40 soccer team and have developed some severe pain in my lower abdomen when i run.  All indications lead to a sports hernia (though it may be a full blown hernia after yesterday wehn I rented a jackhammer to break down some cement footings in my yard, because the pain is really severe this morning). 

I went to the doctor last week and they didnt feel a hernia and are scheduling a colonoscopy to rule out other things, but when I described the pain to another guy on the soccer team he said he had it before and it was a sports hernia.  I looked it up and it sounds right.  I have 2 soccer games left and was hoping to play them and was really hoping I had just pulled something and it would heal up.  I would be willing to just run 1 mile a day for the rest of the year until the pain went away if necessary, but am having trouble even walking without pain this morning.

This sucks.  I really enjoyed playing soccer this Fall, but am pissed that it is hurting my running so much and now may even end my streak.  I will continue to try to keep it up with a mile a day, and as of right now am not planning on playing in the last two soccer games (which sucks because the team I am on rarely has any substitutes and I hate to leave the team short-handed) in hopes that the pain will begin to subside.

I'll keep you posted.  Send some healing vibes my way.

Jeff

Ojo

Oh no! 

I have to say those over 40 soccer teams are deadly!  Evil  My husband can barely move today from his game yesterday . . . and you should see the huge scar on his forehead from the 18 stitches he got 3 weeks ago!  Be careful.

I really hope you get some answers (and that you are still able to run)! 

Sara

MM #2929

Seanv2

Very sad news, Jeff. I hope you heal up quickly and easily!

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

jeffdonahue

Oh no! 

I have to say those over 40 soccer teams are deadly!  Evil  My husband can barely move today from his game yesterday . . . and you should see the huge scar on his forehead from the 18 stitches he got 3 weeks ago!  Be careful.

I really hope you get some answers (and that you are still able to run)! 

I had a lot of fun playing (at least towards the end as I started to relax more adn get more comfortable on the field) but my body was just not ready for all that jarring, twisting, etc...  Never mind the pushing, elbowing and tripping - some of those guys are freaking INSANE!!!

My plan right now is to hold off my run till as late as possible today to let it rest and then run somewhere in the vicinity of a 14 minute mile or so.  the problem with running that slowly is that every step hurts, so you almost want to push it a bit just to get it done sooner.  I'll get my runs in this week and see how it is feeling by the end of the week.  If it becomes more tolerable, I'll continue with the mile a day till it heals up.  If it doesnt get better I may have to go back to my doctor and entertain getting surgery, which I am sure would end the streak. 

Sucks - at the very least I would have liked to have made it to 5 miles.  But for now I'll be hopeful that I can run through a few days of pain and that it will start to ease up.

Thats tough, its always fun to play sports but when you get older its seems to be hard on the body, in my mid 40s blew out my ACL playing b-ball

and it stopped my running for a few months after surgery heres hoping you can take it easy and keep up your streak, its hell to get old.Sad

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

Jeff- I hope it all works out.  I think other sports are really tough on running.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth