Running Readers

What Book Are You Reading Right Now? (Read 1345 times)

Carl A

I'm finally on the last agonizing pages of Kerouac's Desolation Angels. Great description throughout, but holy hell, what a life--pretty much a life of alcoholism that somehow paid.

Also, just finished listening to an audiobook of Pirate Latitudes during my running and driving. Historical fiction that gives a sense of what it might have been like to live in the Caribbean in the 1600s.

Thanks for the recent posts--will look into getting ahold of Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist and Tales from Out There.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

It took me a long time but I finally finished Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger, and I LOVED it. 

Now I'm at a loss of what to read.  I only have about 8 books sitting on my nightstand.  I'm half-heartedly reading U is for... ???  One of those Kinsey Millhone mystery novels.  And I read a chick-lit book but for the life of me I can't remember the name or author - they're all the same.  I have Of Human Bondage but ... ugh.  I want something more entertaining but something I can sink into.  Not fluff.  ???

Michelle

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Have you read The Help yet?  Pretty good.

I always forget to ask if you've read any of the Outlander books. 

Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death by Laurie Notaro is funny. 

Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster - funny.

I've been reading a lot of chick-lit, brain candy, fluff novels lately. 

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Just finished reading E. B. Sledge's "With the old Breed", the HBO series The Pacific is partially based on it. Sledgehammer as he was called was a Marine in the Peleliu, and Okinawa campaigns. He pulls no punches in his descriptions of what individual Marines went through and credits the tough boot camp and combat training with getting him through the intense stress. He also describes things one never reads or hears about in history or other books, e.g. battlefield sanitation. Makes some of the short term inconveniences I put up with in Vietnam (as a Seabee with MCB-9) somewhat trivial in comparison, even the jungle and crotch rot we had they had even worse! Even with the training I don't know how they did it. I was also happy to see how good the Seabees treated the Marines on Okinawa.

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Seanv2

I just start Once a Runner. I know, I know, I should have read this a long time ago. I'm only thirty pages in, and I'm already inspired.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Have you read The Help yet?  Pretty good.

I always forget to ask if you've read any of the Outlander books. 

Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death by Laurie Notaro is funny. 

Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster - funny.

I've been reading a lot of chick-lit, brain candy, fluff novels lately. 

I have not read the Outlander books but you keep talking about them in various posts so I'll check them out.

I have not read The Help yet either but you are about the 6th person to suggest that to me in the last few weeks.  Clearly, I need that book! 

I read that Jen Lancaster book, as well as one of her others.  I liked it, but it took me awhile.  For the first 50+ pages, I HATED her!!  She irritated the hell outta me.  Anyway eventually I got over that, and liked the book.  I read another one of hers but it was more like a series of blog posts, which I didn't like quite as much.

I had a friend recommend Moloka'i to me (Alan Brennert).  Something about a girl being raised in a leper colony, in Hawai'i back in the 1800s or early 1900s.  She said it was excellent.  Anyone else read that one?

Michelle

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I also had a serious hate on for Jen Lancaster. She started to grow on me, though. 

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Advanced Marathon Training - Peter Pfitzinger

The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Díaz

Counsels on the Spiritual Life: Mark the Monk - Tim Vivian (editor) 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Purdey

Self anointed title

Advanced Marathon Training - Peter Pfitzinger

My bible.

(Actually it isn't - the bible is my bible - but it is very good)

Just finished my 3rd reading of Once a Runner.  It is still good.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm reading On Writing (Stephen King). I just finished Bag of Bones (Stephen King). I seem to be reading a few books of an author's and switching. In May, I read the Southern Vampire series that True Blood is based on. In June, I read three David Baldacci novels (guy who wrote Absolute Power which was later made into a movie with Clint Eastwood).

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

My bible.

(Actually it isn't - the bible is my bible - but it is very good)

Just finished my 3rd reading of Once a Runner.  It is still good.

The Bible is my bible, too. 

I got side-tracked by some non-running books, but have begun, more or less, working on Pfitz 18/70 plan. 

MTA: I'd like to get my hands on Once a Runner.

I'm reading On Writing (Stephen King).

How do you like it?  I picked it up a few years back but have not gotten to it.

Purdey

Self anointed title

MTA: I'd like to get my hands on Once a Runner.

Let me know what you think of it.

I sure will.  Thanks, again.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

How do you like it?  I picked it up a few years back but have not gotten to it.

It reads like you are sitting at a table with him while he tells you all this stuff. I'm a writer so it's interesting to me. The details around him getting hit by the van and the recovery after is pretty amazing. I read it about once a year.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.