Running Readers

What Book Are You Reading Right Now? (Read 1345 times)

Just finished reading "The  Last American Man"; it is about Eustance Conway.  A naturalist that lives off the land and has had some amazing adventures with lots of issues with his father.  Anyway, it was a recommendation from my son.

It reads like you are sitting at a table with him while he tells you all this stuff. I'm a writer so it's interesting to me. The details around him getting hit by the van and the recovery after is pretty amazing. I read it about once a year.

Excellent, I'll move it up on the list.  You're very fortunate to be a writer.  If there is a writer in me, I can't seem to find him. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Carl A

Writers write.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Carl A

Started two books recently:

The Republic by Plato (Bloom translation)

Reason for Hope by Jane Goodall

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Speaking of old Greek stuff, I'm finishing up The Odessey.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Speaking of old Greek stuff, I'm finishing up The Odessey.

I might have to pick that up again. Haven't read it since collge days, can't remember which set tho, 1963-65 or 68-72...

Just finished reading "The Pacific" a well written history but like so many histories does not really touch what really happens to individuals in war. But one of the better histories tho. one of the few books that describes what individuals in battle go thru is "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge who served with the Marines on Peleilu and Okinawa. Gave me chills...

I'm about to start a new book that should be fun, "I Run, Therefore I am.... ----- NUTS!" by Bob Schwarz. Heck I was nuts before I started running, well for me its jogging, so this should just add to what I already knew! Cool

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Right now I'm reading Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls (she wrote the Glass Castle).  I like it so far.

I'm also reading Duma Key by Stephen King but I'm having a hard time getting into it.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I just finished What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami.  I highly recommend it.  It was an awesome memoir about how running changed him into the person he is today. 

Right now I'm reading Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls (she wrote the Glass Castle).  I like it so far.

My mom is reading that same book, she likes it.

I just got Eat Pray Love as an audiobook for my hellish commute, I'll start it tonight.

I'm also reading Bill Bryson's Lost Continent: Tales of Small Town America.  It's awesome.  He's hilarious.  More inappropriate in this book than in any of his others, which has been a little shocking, but a great read.

Michelle

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

My mom is reading that same book, she likes it.

I just got Eat Pray Love as an audiobook for my hellish commute, I'll start it tonight.

I'm also reading Bill Bryson's Lost Continent: Tales of Small Town America.  It's awesome.  He's hilarious.  More inappropriate in this book than in any of his others, which has been a little shocking, but a great read.

Eat Pray Love was kind of a self-involved navel-gazer of a book, it wasn't my favorite but I liked it.  Well, parts of it. 

I just listened to Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. I looooved it. Freaking hilarious.

Right now I'm listening to Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs and it's immensely disturbing with moments of hilarity.  I'm also reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I am not a fan of Eat Pray Love by any stretch of the imagination. I found her annoying and hypocritical. If I hadn't been reading it with friends for a book club, I never would've finished it.

I just finished Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes and now I'm onto Shake Hands with the Devil by Romeo Dallaire. Shake Hands is about the genocide in Rwanda and it's a phenomenal read so far. Sad, but well written.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I just listened to Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. I looooved it. Freaking hilarious.

Right now I'm listening to Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs and it's immensely disturbing with moments of hilarity.  I'm also reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.

A friend just gave me the Thunderbolt Kid - that's soon on my list (I can't say "next" but who knows).

I LOVED Running with Scissors.  You described it perfectly!! 

Michelle

Ostrich runner

Just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy.  Maybe not a bad one to channel during a long race.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy.  Maybe not a bad one to channel during a long race.

The Road was an incredible book. It was very depressing, but incredibly moving and quite disturbing during some parts. Did you enjoy it? I found the style irritating at first but I got used to it within about 20 pages. 

This morning I was thinking about Revolutionary Road. I feel the same way about that book.