Running Readers

What Book Are You Reading Right Now? (Read 1345 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Oh, DW and I really liked the "Life of Pi". Yeah its a little slow in spots but still worth reading.

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

I liked Life of Pi.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

BostonRnr

I had to skim the chapter with the meerkats. Poor meerkats! Overall, I thought it was just OK.

Carl A

Recently reread Jack London's "To Build a Fire," so now I'm on to The Sea Wolf.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Carl A

Three Cups of Tea

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Ostrich runner

Unbroken. No idea it had a running theme too. About half way through it, but highly recommend so far.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Way of the Ascetics by Tito Orlandi. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I'm on Born to Run now. I want to read Unbroken.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

sluggo

John

Cool! I did not know this group existed until today and I am always looking for good books to read suggestions!

I will be picking Unbroken up at the library tomorrow.

The book I am reading now is The Scenic Route by Binnie Kirshenbaum. So far, I have been fascinated by a few lines:

pg 16 "...although I do confess to a certain admiration for those whose marriages don't make it through the first week."

pg 41 "Then Ruby said, 'Tennessee Williams, he had it right you know. What every Southern mother really wants is a drunk for a son and a cripple for a daughter.'"

I think I will like this book.

John
                    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Ostrich runner

I finished Unbroken over two cross country flights. I can now make the recommendation unconditional.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

sluggo

John

There have been so many good suggestions here!

The Candy Bombers

Life of Pi

Three Cups of Tea

Water for Elephants

+1 for all!

Here are two suggestions that may have not yet been mentioned:

Fidali's Way by George Mastras:  Novel about an American backpacking in Kashmir/Pakistan circa 2008 and becomes caught up in terrorism. Describes the struggle to survive in the Himalayas with muslim terrorists and Indian security forces fighting.

The Gift of Rain by Eng Tan Twan The setting is Malaya during the WWII Japanese occupation. Involves trying to help family and friends by working with the Japanese (double agent) and learning/knowing aikido.

John

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" finally got the first one in the series. Interesting once you get past the initial character setup and into the story. 

Next up is "Born to Run" - got a paperback copy at Costco.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

sluggo

John

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" finally got the first one in the series. Interesting once you get past the initial character setup and into the story. 

Next up is "Born to Run" - got a paperback copy at Costco.

I really liked The Girl Who series. Lisbeth Salander is an absolutely fascinating character. DO NOT jump and read the end - you will risk wrecking the suspense.

John

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Thanks Slugo! I'll avoid doing that. Glad its not a habit of mine!

bob e v

salty

Reading Hell by Robert Olen Butler. About a newscaster in Hell chasing a story about Satan and rumors of a way out of the, literally, God-forsaken place. Runs into lots of political leaders, Humphrey Bogart, Anne Boleyn, authors of various never-used versions of the Bible, clergy, Muslim terrorists who continually enter a hotel advertising "72 Virgins For You!" only to be blown up and reconstituted so the whole thing can start again. The journalist's father is confined to a car in standstill traffic for eternity. Lots of other fun punishments.

Some REALLY funny parts, especially with the punishments and how Satan keeps them guessing. Author does get a little too cute sometimes. It won a Pulitzer, so those people liked it, for what that's worth.

EDIT: Author won the Pulitzer for another book: A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh..."

"Clever."

"Yeah, and clever."