Sub-4 Marathon Group

September 2013 (Read 44 times)

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning all.

RVD: Sorry to hear about your injury.

All: great running. Anyone racing this weekend?

Out for 12.69 miles this morning with running buddy.  Temps were downright cold, 48F with slight humidity.  So cool that canal had steam/fog rising from it at times. Hell after first couple of miles, we both wondered if we should have worn gloves - especially for hands carrying water bottles.

I  was scheduled to do 10 miles today but my buddy was scheduled for 12...what is 2 miles between running buddies, right. Wink  Turned out to be one of those runs that didn't seem to be that long and actually not that tiring.  Even had negative splits towards end.. Overall time was about 1:47:27.28 about an 8:30 pace.

Lots of people this morning, the cooler temps seemed to bring out everyone sot towpath was crowded at 7:00 AM with walkers, runners, bicyclists, dogs, etc..  Even the wildlife so in addition to the ducks and geese, we passed great blue herons, egret, and swans. All in all a great run.

Enjoy the weekend folks.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

DetroitTigerFan

Nick - very very cool ! I wonder how traffic works - not sure if this is a large group or smaller groups - I'll check the website out. I have a 20 miler scheduled for Sunday, but I need to knock it out at like 6 am due to some other commitments later that day.  Thanks so much for thinking of me and sending the link though. I really would like to try running there, especially when tired near Belle Isle

RVD - sorry to hear about your injury and hope you heal quickly.  I had to visit the Dr this week - its the weirdest thing - I sneezed hard a few weeks ago and now have a light soreness in my lower abdomen. I went to check it out - dr said it wasn't a hernia or appendix - he said it was most likely muscular - the ligaments hooking up the leg to the abdomen. I was worried all week this be a hernia or something and would knock me out for my Oct race so I just have to keep an eye on it.  Dr said not to stretch before running - get the warm up in by jogging or the first few miles so as not to aggravate it,etc

All - I think my issue last week was a pretty bad/quick allergy or sinus infection. I was miserable early part of this week with a drippy nose. It's getting better, but I ran my tune up 10K today at 47:10, a PR compared to last year at the same race from 48:00.  I know I didn't crush my time, but it's the best I could do.  With this allergy thing this week, I've noticed my mouth gets really dry in mile 1.  I also had issues with smooth breathing - a lot of drainage and that feeling of a gunk blob in the back part of the throat that wont move.  I don't believe in snot rockets but I had to make creative use of my "moisture wick" shirt sleeve - don't worry - it's in the wash now Smile  Final tune up race next Sunday - a HM.  For now, back to try a 20 miler on Sunday - need to redeem myself from my bad weekend last week

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

DetroitTigerFan

20 down @ 10:07.  My legs were like boards the first 5 miles due to max effort 10K yesterday. I had to stop and dynamic stretch a few times. After hitting 11:00 gradually made it down to 9:30 at one time and finished all 20 - unlike last week's effort where I had to run/walk after mile 13 (due to coming down with something) So, partial redemption - i'm just glad I finished today and got some confidence back

PS - why is it so difficult to get that GU down after mile 16 - to me, its almost tougher than the running part - lol

Have a great Sunday everyone!

mdawg87

Good afternoon!  Great day for the mdawgs at the Lehigh Valley Marathon.  I qualified for Boston with an 8 minute cushion by running 3:47:02.  Very happy with that effort as it became a warm, sunny race about 1/3 of the way in.  And...over half the miles were on trails.  Was not expecting that much trail running.  I'm super happy though and can't wait to throw my hat in the Boston registration ring next week!  DH also ran another HM PR with a 1:38:56.  Happy, happy day for us!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

DetroitTigerFan

Mdawg - wow !!!! congrats on the BQ !!! How does that work for Boston - do you qualify for next year (isn't that sold out yet?) would love to see a race review if you feel like it.  Also, just curious - what was your longest training run (did you run any 20 milers - if so, what pace did you use?)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Again, nice job, Mdawg! I want to write up a race review of the half marathon as well, but it won't be impressive like yours.  I battled my ragweed allergies and stomach cramping from mile 4 onward, because the race was on a trail lined with the stuff.  Still wound up with a 1:46...not a PR, but not bad.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

mdawg87

DTF:  I'm going to write a race report sometime this week.  I'll make sure to post it here too.  I used the Hansons Beginner plan from the book "Hansons Marathon Method".  It's the same program that onemile used for her big PR at Carmel....just lower overall mileage (peaks at 57 mpw) and less speedwork.  The crux of the program is strict pacing in training, lots of MP miles, and max LRs of 16 miles.  All that works in concert to give you tired legs for the LR, which is done at a faster pace than most programs.  The goal is for the LR to feel like the last 10-16 miles of the marathon, not the first.  Obviously, I feel the program worked for me.

Sprinkles:  1:46 is a great HM time.  You gutted it out and finished.  Congrats!

Oh, and DTF, Boston registration starts tomorrow, so the marathon I ran today is allowable for the 2014 race.  Registration is done on a rolling basis with the fastest runners registering first.  BQ-20 minutes gets to register tomorrow with BQ-10 on Wednesday, and BQ-5 on Friday.  After this week, if the race isn't full, registration opens to everyone with a BQ.  I will register on Friday.  Even with the expanded field, a lot of folks feel that the race will fill in the first week due to the extra interest.  I should be fine with an 8 minute cushion.

White Lightning

So that means I would roughly need to run a sub-3:00 to get into Boston if too many people try to register?  WTF

Play the Game Hard!

Rusk Runner

Congrats again, Mdawg!  It feels good when everything comes together doesnt it?  You did great and I hope your registration goes smoothly.

12 very peaceful miles yesterday (10 trail miles).  I am taking an SRD today.  Heatwave arrives today so it looks like all running will need to be done in the morning till Friday at the soonest.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

So that means I would roughly need to run a sub-3:00 to get into Boston if too many people try to register?  WTF

Only if lots of faster people register...which may be the case this year due to the bombing.  Besides the people trying to qualify this summer/early fall, there are also the fast birds who qualify every year and don't run it.  Speculation is that many of those people will register this year.  Last year, registration didn't close until after Chicago (Oct 7th).  I would think things would calm down next year and going forward.

As an example, the marathon I ran yesterday was double the size of last year.  There were 650ish finishers last year and 1250ish this year.  Last year there were 9 women in my age group.  This year there were 69.  I saw a stat posted in the RWOL forums that said there were 354 BQs from my race.  That's close to 30% of the field!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Too much going on last week to even come here.  Cold, kitty i the hospital, long hours at work, it all conspire for a busted LR.  14 miles with 7 @ MP +10% instead of 22.  Bah.

Cutback week this week.  Hoping to get my energy and mojo back.

RVD, I didn't know you're still down.  Hope the calf mends soon.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, Mdawg!  Congrats.

Damaris

Mdawg - nice! tell DH congrats as well. I am still wrestling with the Hanson v HH plan due to the recent hip issue. I may some derivation of the two.

DTF - way to hang the 20. I must be oddity because a GU goes down like last candy for me in the later parts of my runs

Shadow - love those

Indi - don't fear the heat, fear the hydration

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

DetroitTigerFan

mdawg - very cool - congrats again - out of curiosity - what pace have you been running you 16 milers ?

josh - lol - I was thinking the same thing - I could swear I looked up my last marathon time and I would have to be 67 to qualify Smile

all - legs/ankles really sore from 10K on Sat and 20 miles on Sun.  Then, hHad to do a VO2 max today 5x1000 since an unexpected warm up to 95 is supposed to hit Tues. So I switched my vo2max to today and will do 8 miles general on Tues - figured it'd be best to do the tough workout today. However, i'm disappointed - I was targeting 4:36 for the 1000m and was hitting 4:55 avg today. The thing that bums me out is that I did these faster last year and with 10 lbs more weight.  Then again, last year I had a true rest day after the 20 miler, so maybe the sore legs slowed me. I hope i'm not making excuses up here

after the 20 miler, so maybe the sore legs slowed me.

without a doubt

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27