Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have the Universes.  My first run had me thinking I was going to have a SFx then and there.  I love the Connects though.

I had a similar problem but with different shoes.  A coach recommended to me that I slit the back of the heel with a razor blade.  That did the trick.  Now every time I get a pair of Mizuno Wave Universe 4s (and presumably 5s when they come out) the first thing I do is to slit the heel lip that they've added.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have an SRD (switching with Friday since I love to run the day before a race).

I do the same as onemile: my whole workout goes together and I use the workout type as Tempo or whatever it is.  If anybody is interested in seeing the tempo miles, they can look at the splits and they can identify the wu/cd in them.

Damaris

cmb4314

I do the same with the running log - I just classify the whole run as tempo/intervals/whatever, and note what I did as far as warmup/cooldown/rest periods in the notes section.  If I did it outside, I have the Garmin splits in there.  If I did it on the treadmill, I just remember the speed I had it set to for the intervals/cooldowns and note that in there.

I'm allowed to walk in my boot without crutches now, but it's definitely more of a limp than a walk.  I think I'll be out of the boot in the next week or so, but it is still going to be a while before this thing is strong and flexible enough to run.  I'm hoping that once I'm out of the boot I can at least use the elliptical or bike or something.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

akalei

Morning, everyone!  Pup and I got 6.2 in this morning.  I got to give him a bath after our run yesterday morning (before I came to work--lovely) since he decided to enter the lake after the ducks and wound up chest-deep in mud.  Still some extra spring in my step today, remembering the end goal and remembering how many lost a leg, etc., on Tuesday and can't do those runs now.

Roll: Thanks for the info.  I'll head on over there after I post here.

Sprinkles: Almost immediately after posting I remembered we have DH's cousin's wedding in Richmond that weekend, so LVM is out anyway.  Now I want to run Pocono or Buffalo, but I keep telling myself to stop being crazy and that I haven't done more than 15 miles since Steamtown.  But the temptation is certainly there.  As for the downhill, I was worried the same way with Steamtown.  Practice 2-or-so mile stretches of downhill if you can, and lots of squats and lunges.  Also, I never told you, the Kinvaras are GREAT--definitely my new go-to.  The "anatomical lacing" of the PF2's definitely did something funny to my right foot and the Kinvara seems to be helping that a lot. The Virratas are nice too, but the path I run almost daily is pretty bumpy with tree roots and what not on the front half, and the Kinvaras give more structure for that part.

Also, I don't want to scare anyone out of the PF2... I have total bony "old lady feet" (my Mammam has told me that for as long as I can remember), so it's likely just me.

Cmb: Glad to hear you're on the mend.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

I have the Universes.  My first run had me thinking I was going to have a SFx then and there.  I love the Connects though.

The Universes are definitely my favorite shoe for running (especially speed work and racing).  My Universe 3 has 1190 miles, my Universe 4(Orange) has 636 and my Universe 4(Red) has 322.  They are all in rotation and going strong.  They are the lightest shoe around.

I just got my first pair of Stem/Lems/Leming Primal-2 and I think they are becoming my favorite shoe.  Zero toe/heel drop and without question the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. They have a wide toe box but are twice as heavy as the Universes, so I don't use them for racing or speed work.

Ball of Fury

SRD for me today too!  Is it sad I now love rest days?

CBus:  I really think the Hanson marathon plan will be good for us in the fall!

Onemile:  Nice 6....it's so close!  Can we stalk you?  I heard runner tracking is up!

Indy:  I hope the Graston helps also.  They were much more aggressive with mine this week and it seems to be helping.

Roll:  In my current rotation, I have 12, 8, and 4 mm drop shoes and it seems to be working well to rotate them.

Docket:  Nice 7 yesterday!

MDawg:  Enjoy the rest day and the weather sounds beautiful!  I was on my way to watch the Atlanta Olympics when that bomb went off..remember it very well.

Nick:  I just log mine as separate runs.

Akalei:  Sounds like a nice, fun run with the pup!  I love my PFs and just ordered a pair of Kinvara 3.  I ordered a wide because I have a wide forefoot but they are too big, so I have to return them and get the regular I guess.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Roll:  In my current rotation, I have 12, 8, and 4 mm drop shoes and it seems to be working well to rotate them.

hpw do you choose which ones to race in?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

onemile

Oh, I never appreciated my rest days until I started using Hansons!

And I suppose you can stalk me - It looks like they are doing text/email updates at the 10k, half, 20mi, and finish.  I'll PM you the details and you're welcome to keep the group updated. Extra pressure not to embarrass myself Big grin

SRD for me today too!  Is it sad I now love rest days?

Onemile:  Nice 6....it's so close!  Can we stalk you?  I heard runner tracking is up! 

Ball of Fury

hpw do you choose which ones to race in?

I think I am going to do the PF for my HM because I "feel" faster in them!  I think it just depends on which ones feels best to you.

Ball of Fury

Oh, I never appreciated my rest days until I started using Hansons!

And I suppose you can stalk me - It looks like they are doing text/email updates at the 10k, half, 20mi, and finish.  I'll PM you the details and you're welcome to keep the group updated. Extra pressure not to embarrass myself Big grin

Thanks!!  I have decided I am going to put my HM tracking up on Facebook so maybe I will have extra incentive not to slow down!

Rusk Runner

Onemile - Keep smiling and start visualizing your sure to be glorious finish.  I am counting on you!

Mdawg - Monday morning is my first appt.  Should I take some ibuprofen beforehand?

Amik and Onemile - I am praying that it helps.  Ill be damned if I stop running beforehand however.  I need to stay fit and there is no time for a gym in my life.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Akalei-  I had to switch marathons- Pocono lost its Boston Cert temporarily because of the construction on the course, which is now plagued with sharp hills at the end and traffic open in both directions.  So, I'm doing Cleveland.

Me - No more Graston for this girl.  Found out that my insurance doesn't cover it.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Today's a rest day. But my legs actually feel pretty recovered from Sunday. So, I think I'll start running again tomorrow. Went to Graston today. He said my ITBS looks nice and healthy. He worked a bit on my shoulder, which gets stiff from the repetitive motion of running. That hurt like hell. When I asked when I should come back, he said there's no need to come back, unless it returns.

CMB, great to hear that your recovery is coming a long!

Ami, glad that the Graston hurt! Wink

Onemile, getting excited for you. How are your legs feeling? You're gonna smash your race!

Indi, I wouldn't take any Ibuprofen before your session. And afterward, I'd use ice rather than Ibuprofen to mitigate the inflammation because the Graston will cause inflammation and therefore healing. If the inflammation gets so bad that it interferes with your daily life and/or running, then I'd hit the Ibuprofen.

Nick, I'm not sure what your question is. At first, I created a warm up category and a cool down category, and then I in put my workout as four separate runs on the same day, wu, cd, intervals, and recovery intervals. But then I stopped doing that, and just listed the wu and cd as easy or recovery miles, since that's the data I wanted, and I didn't really care if the easy miles were wu/cd or not.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

indi - I wouldn't take ibuprofen beforehand.  Good luck! I think it will help!

amik - Carmel doesn't have facebook updates. I'm actually surprised they have tracking at all, since it's a pretty small race.

sprinkles -  that sucks your insurance doesn't cover Graston

Cbus - legs are feeling alright. My hip was sore yesterday but I'm telling myself it's just taper madness because I didn't even run!  Hopefully the next few days will help.  Graston on your shoulder?  Yikes! That makes me cringe just to think about it!

Smashy!!!

Onemile, the should hurt a lot more than I thought it would. He had me reach as far back as I could, and then took out the can opener and went to town. I had to close my eyes at one point, the pain was so intense. Make sure you do your next few runs nice and easy. Focus on feeling fresh on race day. you'll do great!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)