Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

RVD - I assume you mean how there looks to be another page, but then it goes nowhere? That happened to me yesterday too, then fixed itself. It seemed like maybe there really aren't enough posts for another page, even though it thinks there are?

AmiK - Sorry to hear about your coworker's son, so sad. As for your ankle, it doesn't sound too bad. I would think you will be fine by race day

I ran 5 miles dodging worms in the rain this morning. The worm dodging definitely made the easy run more interesting, as well as racing back the last half mile to get home before the garbage trucks as I forgot to put mine out before I left.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

RVD - I assume you mean how there looks to be another page, but then it goes nowhere? That happened to me yesterday too, then fixed itself. It seemed like maybe there really aren't enough posts for another page, even though it thinks there are?

It didn't go "nowhere" but went to the page that displays all the forums.  There seems to be an "off by one" software problem.

bagopux

The worm dodging definitely made the easy run more interesting.

Worm dodging sounds downright fun compared to crunchy-bug dodging, which happens for a week or so here in the spring.

DTF -- My advice would be to take stock of where your conditioning is after you miss that run and decide what you're priorities are.  Then, if you need to swap in a 20-miler for something else later on, do it.  If not, don't worry about it.  But for that one bad week, make sure you maximize the miles that you can run even if they are not long runs.

I'm going to have a stretch over the summer of about 9 days that I won't be able to do long runs.  Planning ahead, I'm starting my plan a couple of weeks earlier so I can hit all the targeted workouts and then use that week+ in the summer as a cutback/recovery period.  Usually, when I do a structured plan, I build in a couple of bonus weeks for stuff like that even if I there is no specific time that I know of that I need to take off a bit.

mdawg87

Good morning!  Strength training, cycling, and stretching at the gym this morning.  Wore my Chicago Marathon shirt to work today in support of the Boston events.  Lots of comments already from my coworkers since I rarely ever dress casually.  Very nice to hear their support though.  Hope they get this developing situation in Boston resolved soon without further loss of innocent lives.

DTF:  I had a similar situation last summer.  I ended up doing an 18 miler and a 20 miler two days apart...one on Saturday and the next on Tuesday.  It was difficult to be sure considering the heat and humidity, but I got through it.  Would I do it again, yes.  I don't feel it really contributed to my injury that occured weeks later.  In fact, I think it helped my endurance.  That being said, I don't think it would've hurt me either if I'd not done it.  I'd go with whatever is easier on you mentally.  One missed run won't make or break the cycle.

Indi:  No, not bad at all.  That's another great thing about running.  It's totally individualized.  Your goals and achievements are exclusive to you.

AmiK:  Good thoughts for your friend.  URD was a wise decision I think.  Yes, getting to the start line healthy is the most important thing.

Worm and crunchy bug dodging...ewwww....

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Hope everyone is doing well despite the crazy week and good luck to all racers this weekend !

Have a question - have many of you ever had to cancel a 20 mile long run due to a schedule conflict ?

I'm fine tuning my summer plan and one weekend I will not be able to run at all or very very little (max 6 miles per night) . It's the week #10 of 18, the 20 miler for Pfitz.  I can't rotate weekends since the previous weekend already has an 18 miler and the following weekend is a 16 w/ 12 at MP. Any thoughts? have you ever had to plainly cancel a run like this mid-plan? is it not a big deal since it's in week 10 ?

thanks for any pointers !

I did.  I skipped the 18 and did 20 another week.  Same weeks as you.  I would run  20 another week and don't worry about that week.  I have to do something similar this summer because I'll be on vacation.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Hey all,

Big Board is updated. As always, if you've got times and races, please post em up there.

Sprinkles, I'll be interested in what you have to say about Cleveland. I might want to run that one in the future.

Cbus- I will report back!

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

RVD, that happens when the post count does not match (mostly when there is spam).  I heard eric is working on it.

Morning!  I have a short run and weights tonight.  Race is at 6:30am tomorrow morning, ouch.

DTF, others have mentioned it already, but yes, you can miss it but if you can move some LRs and switch them for the 20 better.  But you don't need a 20 to run a good marathon.

Damaris

White Lightning

Roll - I'm still here, just gearing up for my busy season and the to-do list outside is huge.   Just finishing up week 3 of P90X (im really enjoying it) and have one more week of no running until my follow-up appointment with the Doc to see what he wants me to do.  Quad/Groin feels much much much better with all of the strength and core/work i've been doing but its still there.  I'm really hoping after the end of next week I can start getting some 3-5 mile easy runs back in as warm-ups before my P90X workouts, really missing the calorie burn.

Play the Game Hard!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

jenny - that's what into my thinking about going for a BQ in Philly. I've improved a lot these last 4 months and who knows what is in store in next 6-7 months. I feel i am really close to a 3:15 right now. frederick will be a good barometer for sure.

Indi - It's hard to predict how much you'll improve throughout the training cycle.  That's why I try not to get focused on a particular goal time too far out (although with Hansons that's hard to avoid because of all the MP runs you do).

Easy 6.2m this morning after nice double yesterday. 5.6m in am and a progressive 4 miler at lunch. AT tempo tomorrow so that should be fun.

Jenny - go get it this weekend!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Haha Roll! Jenny give you perfect example of that. My 4 miler yesterday, first mile 8:42 and next three were on cruise control 7:51, 7:49, and 7:47. Felt really smooth and flowing.Smile

#didworkgotfast. Right Jedi?

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

DTF - not a big deal if you miss a 20 miler. maybe just do more MLRs in the week so you still get in mileage for the week. I've done that a few times with family trips. one week won't make or break you. Life happens!

Have a question - have many of you ever had to cancel a 20 mile long run due to a schedule conflict ?

Up Next:

???

Canuck

Wow, the world has really gone crazy this week!  Can't tear myself away from the news this morning.  Anyway, wanted to pop in and wish a hearty good luck to Damaris and onemile this weekend. You got this!! Just an easy 5 or so today after work for me.  Jogging a 10K this weekend, but certainly not racing.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Ball of Fury

Onemile:  Where you at girl??  Hopefully having a nice, relaxing trip to Carmel and I nice dinner.  I do not want to add to your anxiety, but I did just read they have had to change the course for tomorrow's race due to flooding...maybe they will make it flatter!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Rusk Runner

Onemile could probably run on water at this point!  She is gonna blow it away!

Zoe - I can relate to what you are saying.

Jedi - I would tend to agree with you that you have a BQ in you.  Cant wait to hear your results at Frederick.

Docket - How long is your ultra?

Got 7 miles done today in much cooler temps.  HR was down and for some reason my leg felt just a tiny bit better than it did yesterday.  Will try to close out the week at 35 or so miles, which is ahead of Pfitz recovery schedule.  Will be doing all easy recovery miles as much as possible.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

I probably won't be on here before the races start tomorrow, so GOOD LUCK Onemile and Docket!

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)